Concealed Carry holster - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Off-Topic Anything not Charger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here, as long as it is work-safe. **Please post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in Charger Chat ONLY!**

#21 Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM
GLHS837
Super Moderator

My question assumed, I should have said, that reliability and accuracy were not variables, to me it stands to reason that someone wouldn't choose an unreliable, or inaccurate weapon. But I know people do silly things like that. People buy 22 inch wheels at the lowest price and then ask why their mileage went to crap and the wheel bent at the first pothole. Like buying a car soley on engine displacment would be foolish, I know that a gun needs to be a whole package.

I know that reliable and accurate weapons can be had in any caliber, am just pondering if the benefits of the larger caliber are worth the loss in total rounds for the same size weapon.

"For a mechanic, you seem to do an excessive amount of thinking."
―C-3PO, to R2-D2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 AM
POTTER

(Thread Starter)
Then it would come down to user preference...If you are accurate with 22, and a 45, then it would be the size of the weapon to carry the ammo, and the added weight and use of use.

For me, I have the 9 and plan on carrying that with the standard, double stack clip and one spare.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Name is Chris
2006 SRT8 *** Options I, II, III *** AEF CAI *** Zoomers *** Various Custom touches *** Plasti Dipped Body and Wheels *** Attitude from MOPAR
#23 Old 12-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Savior84

I like 9mm. Less muzzle flip so it is easier to get back on target for follow up shots, higher round capacity (in my G17 it is 17 + 1), cheaper than .40 or .45, feeds reliably. Also, anyone that says "9 mil doesnt have the knock down power of a .45!" ....Mr. Bad Guy isn't going to be concerned with what caliber he was just hit with...

2009 R/T Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat

Demolded, debadged, P-dipped, smoked corners, chin spoiler, '06 tails, 35% front/5% rear window tint, airbox/air tube mod, Airhog, catch can, 180* tstat, Predator, reso delete.
#24 Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM
InvictuSRT8
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to InvictuSRT8
As for holsters I've always gone with blackhawk for anything, but as a MD'er I have no concealed carry experience
I'll have to check out the ones PD was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS837 View Post
While we have everyone in here, what are your thoughts on caliber. If allowed/able to carry whatever you wanted (I know some officers carry the same caliber as thier duty weapon) what would that caliber be?

I might start to carry if MD gets around to allowing it legally, and so decided, as I usually to to do some research ahead of time. I seem to be leaning towards a .45, I know you get fewer rounds but I think that might be an acceptable tradeoff.
There's a write up I'll try to find that I read not to long ago. I think it was a LEO that was talking about some blank-fire training (not sure what it's really called but training with real guns using blanks against other real people) he had recently done, everyone using what they carry off duty. His choice was a Glock 36 (.45 with 6+1 is I think what the cap was).

Long story short the story he wrote up was on how quickly he was through 3 magazines even only going against 3 assailants in both a home defense and home raid style scenario, and this was his turning point to make him go with 9 for higher capacity.

If anything finally did happen here in MD for concealed carry I'd personally go for a G19 or whatever Springfield's XD mid size equivalent is (I know their XD full size holds 19+1 for 9mm as opposed to glocks 17 17+1 which is what I have now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savior84 View Post
I like 9mm. Less muzzle flip so it is easier to get back on target for follow up shots, higher round capacity (in my G17 it is 17 + 1), cheaper than .40 or .45, feeds reliably. Also, anyone that says "9 mil doesnt have the knock down power of a .45!" ....Mr. Bad Guy isn't going to be concerned with what caliber he was just hit with...
This has always been my philosophy, 9 times out of 10 it doesn't matter what cal you're shooting. When the bad guy hears shots and or gets shot, he starts to sort out his priorities again.

I'm a smaller guy and I've always shot just as well with 9/40/45cal but the idea of a glock or a springfield XD with double stack capacity (ie a LOT more shots) is what wins 9mm for me.

A modded 06' 370 & an 07' 426
Build Thread/Pikturez, My YouTube
#25 Old 12-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Shots

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savior84 View Post
........ Also, anyone that says "9 mil doesnt have the knock down power of a .45!" ....Mr. Bad Guy isn't going to be concerned with what caliber he was just hit with...
X2. I carry .40 because my service weapon is a .40. In doing this I have extra rounds for both my primary and back-up weapons if one should be out of service. So now when I carry off duty, I just carry my back-up weapon which happens to be a .40.

That said. a .38, 9mm, or even a .22 will get the job done. If it comes down to it, the threat isn't going to look at the barrel and inspect it to see what size rounds you are firing at them. They'll see a gun, hear a bang, and with any luck feel a hit. I highly doubt anyone would stand there and say "it's okay, I'll still try to rob this guy, he's only shooting at me with a .22". Yes a .22 has less punch, but it is still lethal. Of course even to that extent I wouldn't recommend using that as a defense weapon.
IMHO, a .38 or 9mm would be a good choice. They are certainly sufficient, especially if you buy expansion point ammo. "Knock down power" is over rated. Yes a .45 has punch, but really even compared to a 9mm (.354 cal, which is .1" smaller) there is not going to have much of a difference.
A .45 will NOT knock someone over/back, despite what TV shows. It's simple physics, force equals mass times acceleration. What most of the smaller diameter rounds lack in size they tend to make up for with muzzle velocity. So there may be less mass, but increased acceleration can often times create a comparable force. A prime example is the .223 rifle round compared to a .22LR round. The .223 is only .003" bigger diameter (the size of an average human hair), but is considerably more effective. This is done by packing A LOT more powder behind the round, and it leaving at a much higher velocity. In the end it will come down to a very minimal difference in power between the .45 and 9mm (or anything in between). The biggest difference is how powerful it feels to the shooter. There's that and of course the seemingly important response of saying you've got a bigger weapon than the next guy. ha ha

Seriously though. If I was buying a weapon for concealed carry, and I wasn't trying to maintain the use of a single size round, I would look at a 9mm or .38. Both are easily sufficient for defense, they're cheaper to buy ammo for, they tend to have less recoil which lends to more accurate shooting, and you get more rounds in the same weapon/magazine size. For personal use I don't see any reason to NOT buy a 9mm or .38. Just my $.02 though, some people may think that was all a load of crap.

Shots: 2014 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Mods: Rear window louvers / Rear spoiler / Black grille / chin spoiler / LED fog lights / Window tint 50/20 / Sunrise red calipers / Tinted tails
.........................buzzed driving, IS drunk driving
#26 Old 12-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Shots

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvictuSRT8 View Post
.......There's a write up I'll try to find that I read not to long ago. I think it was a LEO that was talking about some blank-fire training (not sure what it's really called but training with real guns using blanks against other real people) .......
Simmunition, and it's a BLAST!!!! We use these rounds for our active shooter training, and annual readiness training. We take our actual service weapon, and load up with the Simmunition rounds. It's basically really accurate paintball, with the actual weapon you carry every day, so in a real world situation it feels exactly the same to fire. It's hands down the best firearms training I've ever had the fortune of participating it.
#27 Old 12-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Ron380

^ Shots beat me to it- Simmunition!

I've done one class with that myself. It's very nice training with a "real" gun, instead of a plastic replica or a paintball gun.

2007 TorRed SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten.
2011 Mustang GT, Kona Blue
2007 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7l V8. mods have started...
#28 Old 12-26-2012, 03:16 PM
InvictuSRT8
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to InvictuSRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron380 View Post
^ Shots beat me to it- Simmunition!

I've done one class with that myself. It's very nice training with a "real" gun, instead of a plastic replica or a paintball gun.
Then I'd love to get in on some Simmunitions! I know from assumption alone that it's an entirely different world when that paper target also has a gun and is after you as well. I just feel like the benefit of that would outweigh plinking or range shooting tenfold.

How does it work for when people are hit? Are there ref's?
#29 Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM
GLHS837
Super Moderator

I get the training part, as my +20 years of aircrew and aviation weapons loading experience, I know about training up front so come crunch time, your reaction is automatic.

Looking right now at the XD-45 Compact, seems like that might be the best compromise between capacity, size, and caliber. Next time I'm in FL, I will see about renting some range time with one. Shot a .380 once along with a .45, and the .380 felt like a toy. Luckily for me, an old shipmate of mine was a Navy Rangemaster on Diego Garcia.
#30 Old 12-26-2012, 04:20 PM
ColdSteel

There is really no need for a ref when doing tactical training with sim rounds. When you get hit point blank, you know you've been hit; stings like hell and you quickly rethink your tactics.

Sent from my DROIDX

2008 R/T -Demoulded, Debadged, Daytona grille, Predator
Mopar CAI, LED Tails, HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Windows SLP Loudmouth II, BT Catch Can, BT Shift Insert
Matte Black SRT Replicas w/ Hankook Ventus v12 evo tires (Stock wheels with Firestone Winterforce tires away until November)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List