Horrible sound when backing up. Give me your opinion on the problem! - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:20 PM

Well this morning my grandpa took my car put it on the lift and we checked everything possible and everything looked good, ball joints were good tie rods were good brakes were good so I have no idea, I did realize it seems to only do it when its my car is cold. so who knows
DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, Smoked tail lights and side corners, de molded, de badged, SRT8 spoiler, SRT8 replica 20's (chrome), AEM Brute Force CAI, SMD LED interior lights, honeycomb grille insert, Diablosport Intune 89 tune, Danko front lip, 35% tint, LED tag light, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, Pioneer AVH-X3500 double din
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legmaker View Post
any time you put the srt wheel on the r/t cars, even if just a "replica" you must run a 3mm spacer on the front wheels in order for the rim to not hit the upper control arm. the rubbing only happens when backing up with the wheel turned sharply, but it still not very nice to hear. without the spacers you can not fix this issue without grinding the area on the control arm that is hitting. commom problem for r/t owners using srt wheels.
Hmm. Good info...

Sincerely,

An R/T owner looking for SRT replicas

2009 R/T Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat

Demolded, debadged, P-dipped, smoked corners, chin spoiler, '06 tails, 35% front/5% rear window tint, airbox/air tube mod, Airhog, catch can, 180* tstat, Predator, reso delete.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2006 RT w/ R&T
Quote:
any time you put the srt wheel on the r/t cars, even if just a "replica" you must run a 3mm spacer on the front wheels in order for the rim to not hit the upper control arm. the rubbing only happens when backing up with the wheel turned sharply, but it still not very nice to hear. without the spacers you can not fix this issue without grinding the area on the control arm that is hitting. commom problem for r/t owners using srt wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopon2s View Post
I only have the 3.5
Legmaker's comment applies to non-SRT vehicles (2.7, 3.5, 5.7) with SRT wheels.

How do I.... EVERYTHING!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
I'm not so sure. Most of the SRT "replica" wheels I have seen don't fit the SRT due to the offset being for all the models other than the SRT. Your advice is correct if they were made to fit the SRT, but most aren't.

The Factory Reproduction wheels won't fit on the SRT (I wanted a set for winter wheels).

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM

just another SRT owner with the same issues...stock wheels/tires. id love to find outtheres an adjustment that can be done by the dealer for this. happens on a near daily basis.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopon2s View Post
I only have the 3.5
same difference.........

10.06 @ 140mph PWR forged 6.1 w/F1A Procharger @17psi / AfterHours Mopar Perf. installed!!!
my real name is CHRIS
Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
I'm not so sure. Most of the SRT "replica" wheels I have seen don't fit the SRT due to the offset being for all the models other than the SRT. Your advice is correct if they were made to fit the SRT, but most aren't.

The Factory Reproduction wheels won't fit on the SRT (I wanted a set for winter wheels).
no........ there are replicas and factory repro wheels that fit the srt just fine. the OP likely has a set of "replicas" that DO have the srt back spacing and thus causing the issue he is posting about. i have seen this often when putting srt spec'd wheels on a non-srt car. bet anything that with a set of 3mm spacers his issues will be solved.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 PM

Nobody mentioned fender liners yet. I took my Expedition to Goodyear for the exact same symptoms, grinding while reversing with wheel turned. As it turns out, the tire was hitting the fender liner. Inside the truck it sounded like a horrible grinding. It got worse if you steered more. Anyhow, Goodyear found some of the plastic pop-rivets were loose, so they popped them back in. No tire/rim changes. This problem just started one day.

2010 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5

Spyder Halo/LED/Projection lights, 5k HID Lows & Fogs
K2 Black Honeycomb Grill w/ 1969 Charger Emblem
Custom Black Billet T-Shift w/ "Charger" engraving
30% Tint, all 5 windows, Class III Receiver
Diablosport (93 tune) CAI (generic/fender) R/T Exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.