Whats Wrong with the 5 Speed - HEMI - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
lg68jcu

(Thread Starter)
Whats Wrong with the 5 Speed - HEMI

Hi - I bought a 2013 R/T AWD a little less than 2 weeks ago. I have the 5 speed and all I read about is how sluggish and slow the transmission is by motor trend car & driver and allot of other posters on this site. I apparently have not driven a quick transmission. I have no complaints what so ever about this tranny. Its a Hell of a lot quicker than my G8 and quicker than any other car I have driven. When up shifting via auto stick its very responsive and quick enough to feel like changing the gears manually means something. Then when its just in D and I am slamming through the gears its seems very quick as well and its feels like a manual. that sudden left off the gas and that sudden Slam (for lack of better term) into the next gear. My G8 drew it out and made it all smooth and such. I am not sure if changes were made to the programming on the 2013's but I am more than satisfied and I am curious why its labeled as such a slow transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Malcolm65

Drive a modern transmission and compare it

It is very slow and with another gear we could have both a better 1st gear ratio for more power AND better fuel economy.

Not only is it slow but it is not very intuitive. It is 15 year old technology
#3 Old 12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Auto426

It's not really as bad as the reviews make it out to be. Sure, an extra gear or two would give slightly better fuel economy and it could be a little quicker on the ****s, but this is a Dodge, not a Ferrari. The 5 speed still gets the power to the road and provides decent fuel economy while doing so. Besides, the reluctance to downshift is something you will find on almost all new cars, as transmissions are programmed to always be seeking the highest gear in the name of MPGs.
#4 Old 12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
maans88
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

you guys complaining about the 5spd, try driving the 4spd that come on the V6's, by far the sh1ttiest transmission ever!

2008 SXT Brilliant Black - OEM SRT8 hood, Flowmasters 44s mufflers with a Magnflow X pipe on an RT exhaust, AFE II CAI, astra hammond aluminum louvers, SRT Honeycomb grill with chrome delete and colour matched, De-badged, 20% all around tint, HID HEADLIGHTS projecors HID Fogs, SRT8 Diffuser, Daytona colour matched spoiler, 91 Octane tune, tinted and colour matched tail lights. Red Anodized Billet tech catch can and dip stick. HID back up lights. Daytona chin spoiler. FlashTech LED headlights and taillights halo's.

"The strongest fire makes the hardest steel"
#5 Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM
MCO_Carter

Taken by itself...not, it's not a bad unit. For one thing, it's damn-near bulletproof.

But in light of newer tech out there with more cogs, it's easy to look at it and say "It's sh!t". No, it's not, but it is outdated...a holdover tech contract from the Dumbler Days that is coming to an end.

Top Banana #321
Mods
#6 Old 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Jonny

It's brand new, give the TCM a few weeks to learn how to be stupid.

That seems to be the logic incorporated into the controller.

It gets worse than what you have right now, trust me.

It's possible they have a different program for the 2013's, it can be a decent transmission with the blue top solenoids or the Tranzformer, stock, it's a pretty ****ty transmission.

I am the Stig

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
#7 Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM
xkm121

Quote:
Originally Posted by maans88 View Post
you guys complaining about the 5spd, try driving the 4spd that come on the V6's, by far the sh1ttiest transmission ever!
Yep. let the nag1 haters try the 42rle trans first...

nag1 is a good trans. It is just--too old.

Bitten By Mod Bug Again

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic43010_3.gif
#8 Old 12-11-2012, 07:56 PM
PlumCrazyDaytona

Send a message via MSN to PlumCrazyDaytona Send a message via Yahoo to PlumCrazyDaytona
I have never understood the complaints of the NAG1. I love mine, sure she gets slow when you drive like a grandma....but its suppose to thats the adaptives. Now ride her like a $%^& and wow will she slam and bang the gears like it should!!

This transmission is almost bulletproof and will outshift any manual transmission. Sure its old but so is a powerglide transmission and how many of those are still running and dominating at the 1/4 mile....along with the 727...and their variants?

Old is not always a bad thing or outdated

6.1 Intake manifold,SRT MAX cam on 112lsa, CNC Inertia Heads milled,mopar TCM,blue tops, 3000 Edge converter 3.91 Getrag, Kooks LongTubes, catless mids and SLP Loud Mouth II, powerbond undrive pulley, 170 tstat, , R1 crossdrilled/slotted rotors, HAWK Pads,eibach lowering springs,dampners,sways mopar strut braces, razors edge sub frame connectors #157 of 1400 ACES IV Quantum Blue Lubricants PB 1/4 12.38@110.66
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...2-12-13-01.mp4
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0010.mp4
#9 Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM
xkm121

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumCrazyDaytona View Post
I have never understood the complaints of the NAG1. I love mine, sure she gets slow when you drive like a grandma....but its suppose to thats the adaptives. Now ride her like a $%^& and wow will she slam and bang the gears like it should!!

This transmission is almost bulletproof and will outshift any manual transmission. Sure its old but so is a powerglide transmission and how many of those are still running and dominating at the 1/4 mile....along with the 727...and their variants?

Old is not always a bad thing or outdated
Exactly, except auto magzines/media just LOVE to bash old tech. Which is why they think a 5spd trans is out dated when 8spd or 9spd autos are flooding the market.
#10 Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
There is nothing wrong with the NAG1 5 speed tranny. It's damn near bullet-proof and runs like a bear. The only issue is with the programming. The current 8 speed tranny suffers from the same issue. I've driven them so I know.

Get a Mopar TCM, Tranzformer, or modify with the predator and it becomes a real beast. Yes, it's old, but so is a '69 Charger with a 426 Hemi 3 speed auto...but it can still kick serious butt at the track and make the modern competition cry.

Old isn't bad, crappy programming is. Don't confuse one for the other.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List