This is the REAL Charger Competitor - Page 5 - Dodge Charger Forums
Off-Topic Anything not Charger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here, as long as it is work-safe. **Please post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in Charger Chat ONLY!**

#41 Old 12-09-2012, 07:01 PM
MCO_Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_dj24 View Post
From an interview with Mark Reuss, President Of GM NA
Well of course the President of GM is going to try to distance the car from the G8, which was one of the last offerings from one of their failed divisions. The fact is, it's going to be a full size 4-door sedan..he can argue semantics of engine type all day, but for the average car consumer, it has MUCH more in common with the G8 than with the Corvette.

Top Banana #321
Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 Old 12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Lil_dj24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Carter View Post
Well of course the President of GM is going to try to distance the car from the G8, which was one of the last offerings from one of their failed divisions. The fact is, it's going to be a full size 4-door sedan..he can argue semantics of engine type all day, but for the average car consumer, it has MUCH more in common with the G8 than with the Corvette.
I agree with what you are saying, but I am just saying by what he is saying it will be a 4 door Corvette, which we already have in a CTSV

2007: SRT8GC - 440.
2008: Daytona R/t Charger: GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN 2/23/13
2009: SRT8 Challenger - Tune, Cams, Heads, Basic Bolt Ons, Working On 440 To Match Jeep
2013: SRT8 Charger: Tinted Windows
#43 Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 AM
drksyd

The fact here is that the SS is based off of the Commodore, just like the G8 was. I don't see the SS as being a halo car costing as much as an SRT. Unless GM really ups the ante like the 2nd gen LX's, I don't see what could possibly drive the price up.

2011 Blackberry Pearl Charger R/T Plus

SpinTech mufflers & Aeroturbine resonators - Tinted (Panorama Hilite 40 & Huper Optik clear on windshield) - catch can - AEM Brute Force - Hotchkis springs - 180 tstat
#44 Old 12-10-2012, 02:14 AM
MCO_Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksyd View Post
The fact here is that the SS is based off of the Commodore, just like the G8 was. I don't see the SS as being a halo car costing as much as an SRT. Unless GM really ups the ante like the 2nd gen LX's, I don't see what could possibly drive the price up.
We probably won't know more until after Detroit, but keep in mind they not only have to price it competitively against other mfgs, but want to keep from stepping on their own toes. Right now, the Impala top out at around 33K...so I'd look for the SS to start in the low 30's, and top out in the upper 40's (depending on engine options...it they're only going to offer the LT1 Engine, I'd look for it to start closer to 40, but if you can get a V6 option, I'd say those will start in the low 30's).
#45 Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 AM
drksyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO_Carter View Post
We probably won't know more until after Detroit, but keep in mind they not only have to price it competitively against other mfgs, but want to keep from stepping on their own toes. Right now, the Impala top out at around 33K...so I'd look for the SS to start in the low 30's, and top out in the upper 40's (depending on engine options...it they're only going to offer the LT1 Engine, I'd look for it to start closer to 40, but if you can get a V6 option, I'd say those will start in the low 30's).
I'm sure there will be a V6 version, I'm quite sure it'd be too costly to bring out only the SS to recoup all the costs. I think the base motor for the SS will be the LS3 for the simple fact that I don't think they even make the LS2 anymore. The G8 GXP started at $35k MSRP, I'd guess the SS will be around$40k starting MSRP or less. You're right though, only time will tell.
#46 Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM
michiganpat

Quote:
From an interview with Mark Reuss, President Of GM NA
yeah, I know what Mark Reuss said, but......

what was the G8? a restyled Holden Commodore, imported from austrailia.

what is the new SS? a restyled Holden Commodore, imported from austrailia

but is sounds like the lowest level SS is going to be comparable to the old G8 GT, with no V6 option....

'11 Toxic Orange Charger R/T
'06 Dodge Grand Caravan
'76 Plymouth Duster
#47 Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Lil_dj24

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganpat View Post
yeah, I know what Mark Reuss said, but......

what was the G8? a restyled Holden Commodore, imported from austrailia.

what is the new SS? a restyled Holden Commodore, imported from austrailia

but is sounds like the lowest level SS is going to be comparable to the old G8 GT, with no V6 option....
Either way I don't feel like it will be a competitor for either of my two current SRT's not my future SRT Charger

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
#48 Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM
MCO_Carter

Quote:
Either way I don't feel like it will be a competitor for either of my two current SRT's not my future SRT Charger

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Neither do I...for the simple fact it's a GM, so it's going to be built from Soda Cans and bailing wire and it's going to look like a week-old Soup Sandwich.

And no, this isn't me being blindly loyal to Chrysler...if Ford built a Performance V8 RWD Sedan that carried the same type of Road Attitude in appearance the Mustang does, then I'd give it serious consideration.

Last edited by MCO_Carter; 12-10-2012 at 08:39 AM.
#49 Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM
MrPack91

Unless they come out with a special performance package (like SRT) I think the SS only competition will be the Charger RT and Taurus SHO. Except Chevrolet hasnt come out with anything targeted at people under the age of 90 for roughly ten years in my opinion. Ugly cars. Unless they can make this look EXACTLY like the G8.
#50 Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Malcolm65

Two points

1. One thing forgotten about the Charger line is how versatile it is. If you are a family but want something more than an Accord of Camry, the V6 Charger offers more room, a lot more style, and 31mpg.

If you want family sedan that can run with the Infiniti G37 you can get the R/T including one with AWD for bad weather states.

When you want to come close to the big dogs without spending $60K then the Charger Super Bee at 40K is an unbeatable deal.

2. I hope Chevy DOES produce this car. Keep the pressure on Dodge to produce improvements each year. One thing that makes the Mustang good is that Ford improves it every other year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List