Any Boxing fans out there? - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 AM
JGcharger's Avatar
JGcharger JGcharger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern CA
My Charger: 2010 3.5L SXT V6
Posts: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew View Post
I have been a boxing fan for the last 30 years and still watch it religiously. I spend hundreds on pay-per-view a year watching fights, but I will not be paying for the Pacquiao/Marquez fight. All their fights have been good, but I gave Marquez the win in the first fight (subjective). Manny won based off the first round, which gave him a 10-6 round on the cards, but once Marquez adapted to his speed, he was able to change the momentum of the fight. I gave him more rounds than the officials did. Thatís the problem with decision fights; it is all in the hands of the judges.

Marquez is probably one of the best counter punchers in the history of the sport. The problem I have always had with Pacquiao is he loves to fight at a catch weight. Most guys always have to come up or down in weight to fight him. Pacquiaoís best asset has always been his speed and he is getting older, but so is the guy he is fighting. All the previous rounds went the distance, so chances are the outcome is the same again. They are pretty evenly matched and know each otherís style, so unless Freddie Roach and Nacho Beristain have devised some miraculous plan, we will see the same as the last 3. Most fighters go into the ring with a plan and when that stops working they revert back to their natural instinct, which I think we will see. If either one makes it outside the first 3 rounds, I believe it is going the distance.

It will be interesting to see who Mayweathers next fight will be. Love him or hate him, he has the best defensive style in boxing. His next opponent should be Guerrero or Alvarez. Pacquiao said he took the fight with Marquez because he wanted to erase doubt. Yet, he didnít choose Bradley because he said the fans knew. Well to me there is still doubt there too.

Boxing has always been quoted as being a crooked sport and this is nothing new, but what sport hasnít had controversy? People act like every fight is fixed. These are usually the fans that didnít get the decision they wanted. If you want to be the clear cut winner then put the other guy on the mat.

There are some great fights going on, but your average fan is not watching these fights. Three of the best fights this year were the Quillin v. Nídam, Rios v. Alvarez, and Guerrero v. Berto fights, but how many people watched those fights? I personally know one person other than myself. Many people are just casual fans who get together to drink and hang out with the fellas, which there is nothing wrong with. There is so much talent through the ranks of boxing that are more exciting to watch than Mayweather or Pacquiao, but people donít take the time to watch these fights because they are not pay-per-view.
Wow. Very informative and in depth. You definitely possess great knowledge in this sport. Thanks for sharing :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
__________________
ACES IV AND ALL QUANTUM BLUE LIQUIDS
TINT: 20% FRONT AND 5% REAR, BLASTIN BOBS THE BEAST KIT WITH FLOWMASTER 40 MUFFLER
CUSTOM SOUND SYSTEM WITH PIONEER 8400 HEADUNIT
MOPAR STAGE 2 COILOVERS AND SWAY BARS
6000K HIDS HEADLIGHTS AND FOGLIGHTS
LUMINX CCFL HALO HEADLIGHTS AND TAILLIGHTS
BILLET TECHNOLOGY NOSE BADGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
biglew's Avatar
biglew biglew is offline
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 158
Thanks, just passionate about it! I'm glad your a fan, so now I can talk to someone about it! Most people are huge football fans, so I understand.

I'll have to catch a blog for the play by play action. Not saying it won't be a good fight, but I can't see shelling out the money for a 4th time. However, that's what makes boxing interesting because anything can happen. I may wake up Saturday and it may be a fight of the year contender! Who knows!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 AM
breatheoflife's Avatar
breatheoflife breatheoflife is online now
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew View Post
Boxing has always been quoted as being a crooked sport and this is nothing new, but what sport hasnít had controversy? People act like every fight is fixed. These are usually the fans that didnít get the decision they wanted. If you want to be the clear cut winner then put the other guy on the mat.
Not every fight is fixed. It would be ridiculous to think that. Just some that I remember or have seen talked about:

Bradley over Pac-Man
Mosley over De La Hoya
Bute vs Andrade...that looooong count to send it to decision?
Pac-Man over Marquez 3
Roy Jones Jr. in the Olympics
Mayweather over Castillo
Trinidad over De La Hoya

Theres some huge fights on that list. When the judges get it wrong and even a casual watcher such as myself can clearly see the judges got it wrong, its pretty obvious that something is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14  
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 AM
rsoto80's Avatar
rsoto80 rsoto80 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew View Post
I have been a boxing fan for the last 30 years and still watch it religiously. I spend hundreds on pay-per-view a year watching fights, but I will not be paying for the Pacquiao/Marquez fight. All their fights have been good, but I gave Marquez the win in the first fight (subjective). Manny won based off the first round, which gave him a 10-6 round on the cards, but once Marquez adapted to his speed, he was able to change the momentum of the fight. I gave him more rounds than the officials did. Thatís the problem with decision fights; it is all in the hands of the judges.

Marquez is probably one of the best counter punchers in the history of the sport. The problem I have always had with Pacquiao is he loves to fight at a catch weight. Most guys always have to come up or down in weight to fight him. Pacquiaoís best asset has always been his speed and he is getting older, but so is the guy he is fighting. All the previous rounds went the distance, so chances are the outcome is the same again. They are pretty evenly matched and know each otherís style, so unless Freddie Roach and Nacho Beristain have devised some miraculous plan, we will see the same as the last 3. Most fighters go into the ring with a plan and when that stops working they revert back to their natural instinct, which I think we will see. If either one makes it outside the first 3 rounds, I believe it is going the distance.

It will be interesting to see who Mayweathers next fight will be. Love him or hate him, he has the best defensive style in boxing. His next opponent should be Guerrero or Alvarez. Pacquiao said he took the fight with Marquez because he wanted to erase doubt. Yet, he didnít choose Bradley because he said the fans knew. Well to me there is still doubt there too.

Boxing has always been quoted as being a crooked sport and this is nothing new, but what sport hasnít had controversy? People act like every fight is fixed. These are usually the fans that didnít get the decision they wanted. If you want to be the clear cut winner then put the other guy on the mat.

There are some great fights going on, but your average fan is not watching these fights. Three of the best fights this year were the Quillin v. Nídam, Rios v. Alvarez, and Guerrero v. Berto fights, but how many people watched those fights? I personally know one person other than myself. Many people are just casual fans who get together to drink and hang out with the fellas, which there is nothing wrong with. There is so much talent through the ranks of boxing that are more exciting to watch than Mayweather or Pacquiao, but people donít take the time to watch these fights because they are not pay-per-view.

I saw those three fights but i think the rios/alvarez will end up the fight of the year. The guerrero/berto fight was so sloppy and the ref was terrible in that fight but it was still an entertaining fight.

I think boxing has become more of a business then sport now as golden boy is still going to make a fight between canelo and cotto even though cotto being a marquee name lost to austin trout. Trout should fight Canelo in my opinion.
__________________
13.84@101 mph Gainesville Raceway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM
biglew's Avatar
biglew biglew is offline
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by breatheoflife View Post
Not every fight is fixed. It would be ridiculous to think that. Just some that I remember or have seen talked about:

Bradley over Pac-Man
Mosley over De La Hoya
Bute vs Andrade...that looooong count to send it to decision?
Pac-Man over Marquez 3
Roy Jones Jr. in the Olympics
Mayweather over Castillo
Trinidad over De La Hoya

Theres some huge fights on that list. When the judges get it wrong and even a casual watcher such as myself can clearly see the judges got it wrong, its pretty obvious that something is going on.
Iím not saying that some fight are not questionable, but people have a habit of saying they are fixed. One of the biggest issues is the commentation. Guys like Merchant, Lampley, and Kellerman pollute the waters. The only guys that I respected are Emanuel Steward and Roy Jones. These guys are not Judges and neither am I. I can sit there and say that this guy clearly one the fight, but I am not a trained judge. I know the criteria they are looking for, but I donít get paid to do it. Another issue is that people rely on the Compubox stats, which are also subjective. Compubox is not a exact count, it is an estimation by a human beings that can make mistakes.

My point is that I believe there are instances where fights are questionable, but not as frequently as people tend to believe. Thatís why they should go back to 15 rounds in championship fights. That would end a lot of decisions. However, it would also end the longevity of boxers.

Bradley over Pac-Man Ė Another catchweight fight. Close fight that could have went either way. People based the fight off the compubox numbers, which are highly subjective. Pacquiao got credit for a lot of punches that did not connect. Plus the fact that a experienced fighter like Pacquiao could not put away a guy coming up with 2 hurt ankles speaks for itself. He was more concerned with the Lakers that night and I donít think he took Bradley serious anyway.

Mosley over De La Hoya Ė The first encounter was clearly Mosley. The second one either way, but it was shrouded in steroid controversy either way.

Bute vs Andrade...that looooong count to send it to decision? - Bad ref not necessarily fixed. Bute was always overated and Froch proved that, so who knows maybe he won on popularity!

Pac-Man over Marquez 3 - Another close fight that could have went either way. I think it was Marquez, but Iím not a judge.

Roy Jones Jr. in the Olympics Ė This one probably carries the most credence and I would agree that it was fixed.

Mayweather over Castillo Ė Mayweather was able to dominate Castillo in the later rounds. Castillo was fighting dirty and should have had points deducted anyway.

Trinidad over De La Hoya Ė This one should have been De La Hoya, but once again I am not a judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #16  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM
biglew's Avatar
biglew biglew is offline
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoto80 View Post
I saw those three fights but i think the rios/alvarez will end up the fight of the year. The guerrero/berto fight was so sloppy and the ref was terrible in that fight but it was still an entertaining fight.

I think boxing has become more of a business then sport now as golden boy is still going to make a fight between canelo and cotto even though cotto being a marquee name lost to austin trout. Trout should fight Canelo in my opinion.

Man you are not lying. Lou Moret should never be allowed in a ring again. I don't think he knew who was who. It confused the hell out of me. It was exciting though.

Agree, trout should be the automatic in this situation. I really am starting to believe that Canelo is a curse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #17  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM
JGcharger's Avatar
JGcharger JGcharger is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern CA
My Charger: 2010 3.5L SXT V6
Posts: 2,177
Not a fixed fight, but my first boxing match I saw was in 8th grade when Mike Tyson bit Evander Holyfield's ear off! About 8 years ago I saw Holyfield standing next to me at LAX airport and I couldnt help but look at his ears. LOL

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
__________________
ACES IV AND ALL QUANTUM BLUE LIQUIDS
TINT: 20% FRONT AND 5% REAR, BLASTIN BOBS THE BEAST KIT WITH FLOWMASTER 40 MUFFLER
CUSTOM SOUND SYSTEM WITH PIONEER 8400 HEADUNIT
MOPAR STAGE 2 COILOVERS AND SWAY BARS
6000K HIDS HEADLIGHTS AND FOGLIGHTS
LUMINX CCFL HALO HEADLIGHTS AND TAILLIGHTS
BILLET TECHNOLOGY NOSE BADGE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 AM
breatheoflife's Avatar
breatheoflife breatheoflife is online now
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew View Post
Iím not saying that some fight are not questionable, but people have a habit of saying they are fixed. One of the biggest issues is the commentation. Guys like Merchant, Lampley, and Kellerman pollute the waters. The only guys that I respected are Emanuel Steward and Roy Jones. These guys are not Judges and neither am I. I can sit there and say that this guy clearly one the fight, but I am not a trained judge. I know the criteria they are looking for, but I donít get paid to do it. Another issue is that people rely on the Compubox stats, which are also subjective. Compubox is not a exact count, it is an estimation by a human beings that can make mistakes.

My point is that I believe there are instances where fights are questionable, but not as frequently as people tend to believe. Thatís why they should go back to 15 rounds in championship fights. That would end a lot of decisions. However, it would also end the longevity of boxers.

Bradley over Pac-Man Ė Another catchweight fight. Close fight that could have went either way. People based the fight off the compubox numbers, which are highly subjective. Pacquiao got credit for a lot of punches that did not connect. Plus the fact that a experienced fighter like Pacquiao could not put away a guy coming up with 2 hurt ankles speaks for itself. He was more concerned with the Lakers that night and I donít think he took Bradley serious anyway.

Mosley over De La Hoya Ė The first encounter was clearly Mosley. The second one either way, but it was shrouded in steroid controversy either way.

Bute vs Andrade...that looooong count to send it to decision? - Bad ref not necessarily fixed. Bute was always overated and Froch proved that, so who knows maybe he won on popularity!

Pac-Man over Marquez 3 - Another close fight that could have went either way. I think it was Marquez, but Iím not a judge.

Roy Jones Jr. in the Olympics Ė This one probably carries the most credence and I would agree that it was fixed.

Mayweather over Castillo Ė Mayweather was able to dominate Castillo in the later rounds. Castillo was fighting dirty and should have had points deducted anyway.

Trinidad over De La Hoya Ė This one should have been De La Hoya, but once again I am not a judge.
It seems as though we are on the same page. :thumbup: Just so we're clear, I wasn't saying all those fights were fixed, just that they were controversial. When you have so many fights, big fights, end in controversy, it's inevitable that people are going to start thinking something is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
biglew's Avatar
biglew biglew is offline
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGcharger View Post
Not a fixed fight, but my first boxing match I saw was in 8th grade when Mike Tyson bit Evander Holyfield's ear off! About 8 years ago I saw Holyfield standing next to me at LAX airport and I couldnt help but look at his ears. LOL

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
HaHa, I probably would have done the same thing. How did it look? I thought he got plastic surgery, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Im glad you started this thread because its good to talk about boxing with everyone. Normally everyone in my office is talking football and they are mostly Steelers fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 AM
breatheoflife's Avatar
breatheoflife breatheoflife is online now
Senior Member
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglew View Post
and they are mostly Steelers fans.
:thumbdown:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Reply

  Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any MMA fans in here? FinallySRTED Off-Topic 6 10-25-2012 08:51 AM
for all GTA FANS! Silver Charger R/T fan Off-Topic 1 12-21-2008 10:44 PM
better fans?? DerekBlk06RT Performance Discussion/Modifications 4 09-15-2008 08:50 PM
Any UFC fans out there? lostinspace Off-Topic 186 06-25-2007 11:48 AM
For R/C fans rossb Charger SRT-8 Discussion 2 08-31-2006 09:35 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© AutoGuide