Low Oil Pressure at idle, oil light comes on too - Page 5 - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#41 Old 04-01-2009, 07:15 PM
wickedchargerrt
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaM View Post
I did forget to mention that I had the dealership fix a rattle in the dash. Well, it is not really fixed but it is not as annoying as it use to be.

No leaks and the level is fine.

I pulled the codes and this is what I have:

P 0520:
Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit.

B 1668
Reverse Lane Control Circuit High

Maybe it is the switch after all.

D a n a
Ya those are both circuit codes. I cant see how someone jacked up that sensor based on its location but maybe they did. Maybe they got happy putting the filter on. that code is pretty simple diagnostics. its either the three wires going to the sensor from the pcm, the pcm , or the sensor.

the 1668 is a circuit failure on your reverse light circuit. You got some wiring issues you need to get handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Damn it wicked, my oil pressure never hits 30 psi at idle (at normal operating temps).

Either my pump is jacked or... are you sure about that 30 psi at idle??

I'm sort of worried.
I've never seen less than 30, come to think of it i've never seen less than 40. I start the car and it ramps up to low 40's and runs as high as 60ish on the highway. (cant remember highway as much as thats a rarity for my car).

More opinions? Anyone else running lower than 30 at idle (cold/hot)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Crow

Yeah, cold start it's >30 @ idle, but once at op temp and @ idle < 30. Runs around 14 ~ 18 psi while sitting at a stop light.
#43 Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 PM
wickedchargerrt
Banned User

I'll check mine again in the morning but i dont think i've ever seen less than 40. ????
#44 Old 04-03-2009, 02:23 PM
wickedchargerrt
Banned User

checked today
cold 29 degrees. 39 psi at start up
up to 58 during accel
42ish stop lights

lunch time 60 degrees
42 idle
45 stop lights
same on accel
#45 Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
danaM

(Thread Starter)
The problem was the sensor. As far as b 1668, did not have one of the tinted tails plugged in all the way. Idle is great now.

thx!
D a n a

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration!

Thomas Alva Edison

Damn, I love my Charger!
#46 Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 AM
TopBanana107

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaM View Post
The problem was the sensor. As far as b 1668, did not have one of the tinted tails plugged in all the way. Idle is great now.

thx!
D a n a

Sig by AreTee|Grafix

2006 TopBanana Daytona 107/250 born in December 2005, purchased August 2006. Back in Chrysler's hands October 6th 2009

Nanner may be gone but is not forgotten...I have waaaaaaaay too many pictures to forget Nanner!!!
#47 Old 01-28-2011, 03:55 PM
redroadandtrack

Hey guys, I have been using Royal Purple and am experiencing this same problem. Taking it to the dealership this weekend to see what they tell me.

My oil pressure once the car turns on is at 13-19 at idle. Then once it warms up it idles in the 10's and gradually drops to 0. on the highway it stays around 20. This started yesterday which I changed my oil to Mobil 1 5W20 and still getting the same problem.

I will also check the codes it's throwing tonight to see what it says.

STAY AWAY FROM ROYAL PURPLE!!

Dana or anyone that has had this problem or experience with this before, is the sender senser cheap or can it be found at discount or anything so i can rule that out before going to the dealer?

My car is a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7 with 55,900 miles.

Thanks in advance.
#48 Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM
fizzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchargerrt View Post
checked today
cold 29 degrees. 39 psi at start up
up to 58 during accel
42ish stop lights

lunch time 60 degrees
42 idle
45 stop lights
same on accel
I changed the oil yesterday (M1 and Fram ultra). Always used M1 but usually with Mobil filter. I admit I dont usually check oil pressures but new kind of filter made me wonder. So I was gettin 50-52 psi at 2000 rpm and 18 -20 psi at idle. This with an oil temp of up to 212F (checked at idle). I was a little worried by these figures but some of the posts on this thread have reassured me that my (beautiful, rev happy) motor isnt going to explode/seize.
I havent looked what it was at the oil temps quoted but at 60F the oil is still getting warmed up, still, doesn't seem to be enough of a change in psi, i.e. "42 at idle, 45 at stop lights, same on accel". Unless the motor idles at 1500 rpm?

Last edited by fizzer; 12-05-2012 at 03:49 PM.
#49 Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM
fizzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzer View Post
I changed the oil yesterday (M1 and Fram ultra). Always used M1 but usually with Mobil filter. I admit I dont usually check oil pressures but new kind of filter made me wonder. So I was gettin 50-52 psi at 2000 rpm and 18 -20 psi at idle. This with an oil temp of up to 212F (checked at idle). I was a little worried by these figures but some of the posts on this thread have reassured me that my (beautiful, rev happy) motor isnt going to explode/seize.
I havent looked what it was at the oil temps quoted but at 60F the oil is still getting warmed up, still, doesn't seem to be enough of a change in psi, i.e. "42 at idle, 45 at stop lights, same on accel". Unless the motor idles at 1500 rpm?
Holy thread resurrection!! Sorry fellas, just saw the date of previous post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List