Autostick Operation - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

#11 Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Yuro

It is so fun to use Autostick.

TorRed or NoRed!
"WTFO" Sponsored
WTFO weaponry:
Strut Bar V 2.1
"Being a good fiend is like being a photographer, you have to search for the right moment!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
AFPVet

(Thread Starter)
Maybe people were getting better times with the autostick before the TCM update? I know that I am much slower if I shift manually in my car, but I don't have the autostick... just the slide 1,2,D. The only thing I could think of is the autostick being a 'sport mode' that allows for firmer shifts?
#13 Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Hriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecht55 View Post
I find the auto-stick quite useless and annoying.

You only get to shift if you're going slow. If you have WOT it will shift when it wants, doesn't matter if you tell it to or not.
What? If I'm in autostick mode, my R/T will only down shift at 500 RPMs or at upshift at redline with stock setup. At no other time will it shift amongst the gears.

Sent from my ADR8995 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Current: Blaze Red 2008 Charger R/T
Previous: Steel Blue 2008 Charger SE. Traded in and missed.

U.S. Army 15F Aircraft Electrician
South Korea: '07-'08. Iraq: '08-'09. Afghanistan: '10-'11 and '13-'14. And No More To Come

#14 Old 11-28-2012, 11:40 AM
rodneyiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hriv View Post
What? If I'm in autostick mode, my R/T will only down shift at 500 RPMs or at upshift at redline with stock setup. At no other time will it shift amongst the gears.
Are you saying that if you bump the shifter in the "+" direction at say, 4000 rpm, that the tranny won't upshift for you? If you are slowing down at 30mph and bump it in the "-" direction, will it downshift? You should be able to fully control what gear the car is in, within reason. It won't upshift to 5th gear at 20 mph nor will it go into 1st gear at 50 mph. There are some limitations built in to prevent catastrophic overrevs or lugging.
#15 Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Yuro

Stupid phone
AFPVet does your D gear have a -+ to either sides of it? Thats how you tap it gear up or down. It is a sport mode allowing you to drive it as if it was manual with computer assisted changes.
As rodneyii stated it designates what gear you can logically be in so that you.dont harm the transmission.
I've read our engines put out max power at ~5250 RPMs. You can learn ways to use the Autostick to the full advantage of the gear before you change to the next.
Autostick usually gives me better gas mileage than automatic til i hit 5th then i throw it into auto and let the 4 cylinders take over.
#16 Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Hecht55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
Not true. You either don't understand the Autostick or there is something wrong with your shifter.
Please elaborate..

- or + should be pretty easy to understand.

"-" to downshift and "+" to upshift.. It's programmed to still shift at specific RPM levels depending on throttle position.

For example, if from a stop, in autostick mode. I give 50% throttle and flick it in the "+" direction, the car WILL shift when I tell it to.

However, when at 100% throttle, flicking in the "+" direction at ANY RPM less than redline, the transmission will wait until the redline to shift. It does not matter if I flick it at 1500, 2000, 3000, 4500 RPM.. It all results the same.

How can I be using it wrong?

If you go on the Diablo tuner website, they list it as a feature of these tuners to override these stupid shift points.

If I want to shift the car at 3500RPM. I should be able to do so regardless of throttle position.

Such is not the case with a stock programmed auto-stick.
#17 Old 11-29-2012, 02:29 AM
rattler

You might want to take that in and have the computer checked. I use my autostick on rare ocasion and it shifts whenever I want at whatever RPM.

It does so appropriately both with my '12 and my old '06 RT

Current: Pitch Black 2012
Retired: 2010 SXT
Retired: 2006 Inferno Red RT

Last edited by rattler; 11-29-2012 at 02:31 AM.
#18 Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Hriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
Are you saying that if you bump the shifter in the "+" direction at say, 4000 rpm, that the tranny won't upshift for you? If you are slowing down at 30mph and bump it in the "-" direction, will it downshift? You should be able to fully control what gear the car is in, within reason. It won't upshift to 5th gear at 20 mph nor will it go into 1st gear at 50 mph. There are some limitations built in to prevent catastrophic overrevs or lugging.
I meant that it wont automatically do it unless at 500 rpm or redline. Otherwise, it is all on me.

Sent from my ADR8995 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
#19 Old 11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Hecht55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler View Post
You might want to take that in and have the computer checked. I use my autostick on rare ocasion and it shifts whenever I want at whatever RPM.

It does so appropriately both with my '12 and my old '06 RT
This is a quote directly from Diablosport's feature description of the current Intune tuner..

Disable Autostick Auto Upshift - Automatic Dodge/Chrysler vehicles have a great feature called AutoStick that lets the driver select each gear change with a push of the shifter lever. In stock configuration, the transmission will still shift to the next gear when the engine hits a certain RPM, even in the Autostick mode. Activating this parameter will let the driver hold the transmission in each gear as long as he wants. Excellent for nights at the local dragstrip! (5 Speed Trans Only)

Mine is a 2010 SXT AWD. Maybe this is different on 2011+? Maybe it's different on the 4 speed cars? (Do the 4 speeds even get Autostick)?

I don't think my car is faulty or I'm doing it wrong, I think some do not understand what I'm saying about the autostick.

Not willing to go pay $400 for a tuner to test this further, I just leave in D at this point, as unless I'm keeping my throttle lower than WOT it's going to shift like it's in D anyways.
#20 Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Yuro

4 speeds do not have the Autostick
As fas as I know........

Last edited by Yuro; 11-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List