Rear end swap - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 PM

Rear end swap

I know this has been posted before, but the search on this site is horrible plus I want to find some up to date information.

First question: is swapping my differential out with a differential from an srt8 a worth while swap? I want better torque but don't want to murder gas mileage.

Second question: with the predator, is that gear ratio even an option?

Third question: any successful swaps? I know there was a thread with a guy in NY who did a swap but he used the getrag. And last I remember, it was never updated after he got the swap done and was working out some bugs.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 AM

You can change the computer with the Predator, but I think only with the 5 speed automatic. Do you have that?

Also....you might want to check and find out what gear ratio you already have. I remember my V6 Challenger that had the 4 speed came with a 3.64 rear. Anytime you go with a lower gear (numerically higher), it WILL affect your gas mileage, just so you know.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 AM

I have the NAG1 tranny. Have the predator.

Does anyone know what gearing I have? My car was made in July 2007. I have read so many different answers its amazing. I was hoping Samoan tsunami was still hanging around to get some info.

I guess I should clarify on the predator question...basically I'm trying to find out if the srt 8 gear ratio is preloaded? I swear I've checked before in it but it only had 3.07 not 3.06. If it is, anyone know if its better to use that or get a custom tune set up?
2007 Black Charger, 3.5 v6. AEM brute force air intake, custom dual exhaust (AP Mufflers), Powerslot Slotted rotors, Diablosport tuner In the works: Full Coilovers (Megan Racing) Eibach Sways, Razors Edge Endlinks/Bumpsteer, DC Sports tower brace and wheels. In the future: Inertia cams, ported TB, and JBA headers
Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 AM

If you want to PM me your VIN, i can find out what rear end ratio your car has.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger35v6 View Post
I have the NAG1 tranny. Have the predator.

Does anyone know what gearing I have? My car was made in July 2007. I have read so many different answers its amazing. I was hoping Samoan tsunami was still hanging around to get some info.

I guess I should clarify on the predator question...basically I'm trying to find out if the srt 8 gear ratio is preloaded? I swear I've checked before in it but it only had 3.07 not 3.06. If it is, anyone know if its better to use that or get a custom tune set up?
My car's got the Getrag 3.06 (among other things) done by the previous owner and I too noticed the Predator has no selection for 3.06??? WTF?

450RWHP/432TQ
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM

Because I THINK the actual number is 3.069, so they call it 3.07...I'm not 100% on this, but that's what I believe. Similar to the debate of whether it's 3.91 or 3.92....
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM

That would make sense. I'll email diablo sport to confirm that.

Galvatron-SX, I pmed my VIN to you
Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM

I've done the swap. I used the 3.07 ratio in the Predator with no issues.

I know this may seem contrary to most people's thinking but I saw an increase in mpg. The higher gears caused MDS to come on a lot faster than it used to and it stays on a lot longer than it used to. I've had MDS stay on while climbing a slight incline where before it would have kicked off as soon as any extra load is put on the engine. I am one of those guys that uses cruise control a lot too. I have a long highway commute to work every day so cruise control gets used.
I can say that I do get a lot more snap off the line and that by itself has made the swap worth it all. I can roast the tires a lot easier than before.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned User

If you can get up under your car and see the tag on the diff it will say what it is.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Thanks. I found out the other day. I have 2.87 so the 3.06 would be a nice upgrade without sacrificing gas mileage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.