Is oil just oil? - Page 4 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 PM

My Charger: 2010 3.5L SXT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
Perhaps, but that's exactly the point of debate.

It's intended to invoke thought and self-evaluation of the points made. If even one person changes their mind, it's a worth while process. Even in politics, debates are considered useful tools to bring out fact, falsehoods, opinion and feeling so that folks can make an informed decision.

The great thing about debates is that they never end...and opinions evolve accordingly. Stagnation is the enemy of intellect and debate is the opposite of stagnation.
Beautiful explanation...I felt like a student again in class taking notes
MOPAR STAGE 2 COILOVERS AND SWAY BARS
6000K HIDS HEADLIGHTS AND FOGLIGHTS
LUMINX CCFL HALO HEADLIGHTS AND TAILLIGHTS
BILLET TECHNOLOGY NOSE BADGE
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 PM

Just remember fellas Oil is like religion. There are many different types and it's hard to convert from one to the other.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to RECONMARINE
Wow! I did not mean to stir a hornetís nest here. All I wanted to do was share some information that came from somewhere other than a forum that the lab commented on QB showing lower metal wear. I have used QB in the past but since I am selling my Charger I switched to Castrol but still use QB on my wifeís Grand Vitara because I have seen the oil analysis and I see the numbers lower than Mobile 1. Once I get my new vehicle I plan on using QB as well. I did share a pic with Brian that catchcan had gunk on the bottom after changing oil. I never had that gunk with QB in that past.
2010 (Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl) Dodge Charger Manship: Blinker Mod. De Badged, De Molded, Predator with 93 tune, AFE Stage II CAI, Billet Technology catch can, Billet Technology Custom emblem, Window vents. Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Hood Struts, Blue interior LED, HID's for reverse lights , 69" Grill, Quantum Blue, ACES IV

[
Old 11-25-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothouse View Post
Oil threads are useless topics it's like politics. The left is the left, the middle is the middle and the right is the right. Some are persuaded to change sides but most are not. If someone thinks Pennzoil is the best oil ever made and they have never had any problems using it, it's gonna be hard to dissuade them from it. Just like QB, Mobil 1 , Castrol, etc... Until they have and engine failure or major problem and it is pinpointed by a mechanic that it was a break down of the oil that caused it most people won't change their minds about off the shelf oils or their special blended oils. As long as my dealership continues to charge 65.00 for a 7 quart plus filter synthetic oil change I'm going there. It's 63.79 to do it my self depending on what filter I use.
I guess then if you ever had an oil related engine failure, then there is no way the dealer can claim it oil relates. I went to the dealer for oil changes when the Charger was new, but got tired of them trying to sell me stuff I didn't want/need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONMARINE View Post
Wow! I did not mean to stir a hornetís nest here. All I wanted to do was share some information that came from somewhere other than a forum that the lab commented on QB showing lower metal wear. I have used QB in the past but since I am selling my Charger I switched to Castrol but still use QB on my wifeís Grand Vitara because I have seen the oil analysis and I see the numbers lower than Mobile 1. Once I get my new vehicle I plan on using QB as well. I did share a pic with Brian that catchcan had gunk on the bottom after changing oil. I never had that gunk with QB in that past.
No hornets stirred. This thread has actually been more civil then most oil related threads!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 PM

My Charger: 2012 Charger Road & Track
After adding it up, it would seem that Quantum Blue would cost me twice as much as putting Mobile 1 in my car.

My costs now on Mobil 1 synthetic + filter + tax = $53.82.

Quantum blue is 2 gallons QuantumBlue Custom Blended oil and one QuantumBlue Ultra High Performance oil Filter = $102.08 + Shipping.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Supporting Vendor

My Charger: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCar View Post
After adding it up, it would seem that Quantum Blue would cost me twice as much as putting Mobile 1 in my car.

My costs now on Mobil 1 synthetic + filter + tax = $53.82.

Quantum blue is 2 gallons QuantumBlue Custom Blended oil and one QuantumBlue Ultra High Performance oil Filter = $102.08 + Shipping.
Well actually, the Mobil 1 is only good for about 5k miles and produces more wear. QuantumBlue is designed for at least 10k miles and more like 12 to 15k miles per change.

Your Mobil 1 is a cheaper price but costs more due to the increase in drain intervals....not to mention more wear!

Here are two examples: First one is the OP's Grand Vitara.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=160020

67 ppm of iron in 4,089 miles vs 21 ppm in 11,600 miles! That is 2.85 times longer on the same oil and 69% less bore wear than your Mobil 1.

Using your price example.....$53.82 x 2.85 = $153.39 vs $89.32. Remember that we make you 8 quarts....7 for your fill and one for top off. If you don't use the extra quart, you still have it available for the next change.

Here is the other:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=157116

2008 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7L MDS Hemi. 86,760 miles on 7 oil changes. If we do the math on a Mobil 1 every 5k miles it would have cost him $933.88 @ $53.82 at that drain interval. QuantumBlue was $105.07 x 7 = $735.49. Not to mention 10 hours that Jed could be doing something else with besides doing oil changes!

Well these numbers do not lie about the protection of QuantumBlue Custom Blends.

His most recent is 14,899 miles on one change!

At the beginning, he started at 30,928 miles when he switched from Mobil 1 to QuantumBlue for his first oil change.

From that point, the oil changes went like this:

12,307 miles
11,286 miles
12,000 miles
11,106 miles
12,401 miles
12,761 miles
14,899 miles on his most recent one!

17 ppm iron divided by 14.899 = 1.14 ppm per 1000 miles!
0 chromium....no ring wear!
0 lead....no bearing wear!
4 ppm aluminum div by 14.899 = 26.8 100ths of 1 ppm per 1000 miles!
0 nickel....no valve wear!

So basically this engine now has 117,252 miles with the oil keeping this engine from wearing basically at all.

What are the dollars and cents?

Using this months special as an example.....$12.76 per quart x 7 = $89.32 + free oil filter = $89.32 + $15.75(shipping from Ohio to California) = $105.07.

$105.07 div by 14.899= $7.05 per 1000 miles.

Typical off the shelf synthetics are $6.75 per quart x 7 = $47.25 + $6.50 for an oil filter = $53.75 x 1.07 (tax) = $57.51. In your case you are stating $53.82. So we will use that:

$53.82 div by 5 = $10.764 per 1000 miles....assuming a 5k mile oil change.

So for 14,899 miles with typical synthetics would be $10.764 x 14.899 =$160.37!

So the numbers work out that your Mobil 1 is MORE expensive than QuantumBlue for your 2012 and will be better protected from our custom blends.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"

Last edited by 370 HEMI; 11-25-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
No offense, but anyone that runs a synthetic, including Mobil 1 for only 5k miles is throwing away money. Even the factory suggestions go farther than that with conventional oil.

It would be more believable if you used real numbers...

Mobil 1 extended use, 15k miles. $26/ 5 quarts at Walmart. I ran it last time out to 12k and it still had plenty of life.

I ran the walmart brand Supertech CONVENTIONAL DINO OIL longer than 5k miles, and it still had plenty to go....

This is where I start to question you, when you use ridiculous numbers to justify cost differential.

I hope you understand.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Supporting Vendor

My Charger: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
No offense, but anyone that runs a synthetic, including Mobil 1 for only 5k miles is throwing away money. Even the factory suggestions go farther than that with conventional oil.

It would be more believable if you used real numbers...

Mobil 1 extended use, 15k miles. $26/ 5 quarts at Walmart. I ran it last time out to 12k and it still had plenty of life.

I ran the walmart brand Supertech CONVENTIONAL DINO OIL longer than 5k miles, and it still had plenty to go....

This is where I start to question you, when you use ridiculous numbers to justify cost differential.

I hope you understand.
I am using real numbers. The Mobil 1 extended use 15k mile oil doesn't protect much beyond regular Mobil 1 and should never be used for 15k miles. Even the back of the label recommends to not change it longer than the manufacturer of the car recommends. Basically it is marketing not science. Let Staveley or CTC or ALS do the analysis and you will find that these oils you are touting are not all that.

The conventional oils you say are ok give a lot more wear than my oils at 15k miles.

I posted Mobil 1 at 4,089 miles and compared directly against our oils at 11,600 miles. That is realistic and used in the same vehicle with the same application. That is apples to apples. We have posted many changes in different vehicles and showed empirically that our products stand up and perform better than off the shelf oils.

The problem Jonny is that you will claim with your own analysis that it is ok, but will turn around and then say that analysis isn't indicative of results. You can't have it both ways.

Our QuantumBlue Custom blends are simply better, prove it with continual analysis over many thousands of cars, and have customers that can tell the difference when they change the oils. Mobil 1 is black in 3,000 miles and ours is chocolate brown at 12k miles. That tells you a lot about what our materials do. More cushion, better mileage and cheaper in the end.

I know YOU understand.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Last edited by 370 HEMI; 11-25-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 PM

My Charger: 2012 Charger Road & Track
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 HEMI View Post
Using this months special as an example.....$12.76 per quart x 7 = $89.32 + free oil filter = $89.32 + $15.75(shipping from Ohio to California) = $105.07.
I use Mobil 1 for the same mileage I would use QB.

Again, it would cost me twice as much to use QB vs. Mobil 1.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerslavePA View Post
Royal Purple is another one that is expensive, they're oil is PURPLE, this oil is BLUE.
If you're going to point out someone's mistakes, better spell check your own first. Just saying...
2006 Dodge Charger Daytona #1964
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.