Shouldn't the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty cover this? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM

Shouldn't the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty cover this?

Good afternoon,

I recently dropped off my 2007 2.7L SE (47k miles) for its routine oil change (every 3k miles) the other day and was informed that my engine coolant was leaking. The service man told me that the thermostat housing assembly needed replacing.

Parts needed:
4792916AE (Housing)
4892055AB (Seal)
5159157AA (Engine Coolant)

I was told that my powertrain warranty won't cover these parts since they're not "internal."

Can somebody tell me why this is? I had the impression that the lifetime warranty would cover all mechanical faults as long as the original owner (me) is still driving it?

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty:
http://pa.motorwebs.com/DaimlerChrys...owertrain.html

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM

I hate to say it, but on a 5-year old car with 47,000 miles, a leaking thermo housing seal could possibly be considered normal wear. Not that it happens to every car, but at your car's age and mileage, small issues such as yours start to show up.

Warranties, such as the lifetime power train warranty, are to cover manufacturer defects. Warranties generally don't cover items that fail due to normal use and fatigue.

I wish I had better news for you.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM

My Charger: 2012 SRT8
And why I never ever buy extended warranties. The parts that fail are never the ones covered.

Current 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Traded 2012 Dodge Charger R/T AWD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM

Thank you for the response.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens12 View Post
And why I never ever buy extended warranties. The parts that fail are never the ones covered.
IDK about that. I purchased the MaxCare Warranty on my SRT and it has more than paid for itself (like nearly double the repair cost past factory warranty vs. what I paid for it). In fact, I have never had anything fail that wasn't covered. They even replaced my belly pan at no charge when it cracked (not a listed coverage). At 88k+ miles I have no regrets about purchasing the MaxCare warranty.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Banned User

---Removed--

Last edited by PowerslavePA; 12-12-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 AM

No, it will not be covered. I was told by a Dodge Service Rep., that the lifetime power train warranty only covers internally lubricated parts such as pistons, crank, cams, transmission, etc. Found this all out when I was arguing with them over the short runner valve going up because of all the oil the PCV sprays back into the intake plenum. Plus, good luck trying to get them to honor the lifetime power train warranty anyways since it was under Daimler Chrysler. Its now Fiat Chrysler.

I have a 2007 3.5, with 78,000 miles on it. Haven't had anything too big gone wrong with it (knock on wood).
2007 Black Charger, 3.5 v6. AEM brute force air intake, custom dual exhaust (AP Mufflers), Powerslot Slotted rotors, Diablosport tuner In the works: Full Coilovers (Megan Racing) Eibach Sways, Razors Edge Endlinks/Bumpsteer, DC Sports tower brace and wheels. In the future: Inertia cams, ported TB, and JBA headers
Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 PM

the dodge dealers here in the hampton roads area are crooks...i dont like any dodge dealer because of the responses i got when i talked about warranties on my 3.5L so many problems with this car and no help from the dealer, like POWERSLAVE said human greed is ridicuolous..I bought the car and 2 months later started having problems and was told no warranty would cover the car even though i bought it in 08 (06 model) and had 30K miles was told the car was too old..this coming from the dealer i just bought it from and was told they can fix it for a fee
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM

That's because you bought it used. Warranties from the manufacturer aren't transferable. That falls back on the dealer and any warranty you got with them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.