Road salt season - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Charger Chat Lounge

Charger Chat Lounge This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please post those threads ONLY within this section!

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:12 PM

Road salt season

Well, looks like road salt season is upon us. Besides icy/snowy roads and the like its got to be the worst part of winter in my book. We might be getting a little snow rain mix Tuesday around here and you know what that means, they will salt the roads nine way til Sunday. I just cannot drive my Daytona on salty roads, wet or dry. I have to wait until we get enough rain to wash the roads clean. At least I have my Neon and my Ranger to get me through. LOL I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my Daytona. (Wish I could be that way with all my cars, but then I would not have anything to drive). I don't like the mess road salt makes, but do understand why they use it. Your thoughts on the subject?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:44 PM

That's the one thing I miss about ND, they used beet juice and sand instead of salt and they had some of the best winter roads in the country. My state uses salt and it not only wrecks havoc on our cars, but it does a number on the roads too since the salt gets into the small cracks and turns them into big cracks by warmer weather.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM

My Charger: 2010 R/T with road and track group package
I feel the same way. Once the spreaders hit the roads it's all over. Do you have any idea what the salt does to black paint on my R/T? Turns it grey. I don't use my charger for a daily driver that's why I bought a Jeep 4x4 Patriot. That's my grocery getter. Funny but Jeeps to me always look better dirty, like they like to play in the dirt. Another thing that gets me is when it's time to leave for our Florida vacation and the roadways are all fked up from a storm that hit a few days earlier in the week. As soon as i'm out of my garage,
FORGETABOUTIT!! I always like to make the drive in a nice clean Charger..

Big John
2010 Dodge Charger R/T with Road and Track group package,tinted all around. Black Crystal Pearl coat paint. 1966 Pontiac GTO tripower 4spd, 390posi. GTO made the cover of High Performance Pontiac Magazine Dec/92
Old 11-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Winter salt is just part of doing business with a daily driver. I just take it through the carwash with a good undercarriage wash as often as possible year 'round and more often in the Winter. After nearly 7 years, no underbody corrosion of any kind.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirty SRT.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	71846  

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 PM

I hate it, but this is my DD. My bare aluminum rims really make it tough since they rust almost instantly after the salt hits them.
(My name is Mike) Black 06 R/T, Black BOSS 338s, smoked LED tails, AAC Dual Halo (red/blue), AEM Brute CAI, BBK 85MM TB, Predator 91 CAI tune, 180 t-stat, TranZformer Shift Kit, ACES IV, BT Catch-can, Borla 125, JBA catless mids, (Eibach Anti-roll kit, and SLP underdrive pulley waiting for install) custom front emblem, Danko chin, Danko 345Hemi badges, 2" cowl ram air hood with pins // (stereo equip) Nation's 290amp alternator, 2000w Alpine amp, 200w & 400w mid amps, Memphis 6x9s, 2x Kicker 12" L7s, Rockford Fosgate hybrid cap
-machine gun turret sold separately
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Supporting Vendor

My Charger: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
Any vehicle that we allow to go through the salt bath gets an oil spray that is a mixture of Kerosine and used transmission fluid.

We take a rechargable pressure sprayer from Grainger part # 2Z857 and fill it with our mixture. Then charge it up with an air compressor and then spray it under the hood, in the doors, in the frame, on the floor pans etc.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SUR...857?Pid=search

Then we find a very dusty road and drive back and forth to give it a nice coating on the underneath.

This really keeps the Winter from eating our vehicles.

We also make a product to spray on the rims during the Winter too stop them from corroding as well.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Charger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.