What's the fastest you have driven? - Page 10 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Charger Chat Lounge

Charger Chat Lounge This section is for socializing and 'just for fun' type threads. Please post those threads ONLY within this section!

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What's the fastest you've EVER driven?
100 to 120 10 12.82%
120 to 140 18 23.08%
140 plus 47 60.26%
10 over and that's it! 3 3.85%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
Well, I don't know what part of the U.S. you're talking about... maybe around ND? They have really great roads up there, but as a whole, our infrastructure SUCKS! As for the quality of our drivers, we have A LOT of very talented drivers out there, and many that are not so talented lol. If we could just take away the cell phones, IPODs, and whatever else they are using, we would be just fine. I personally worked with a few cops who were worse drivers than average... and we were running very fast on calls.
Many of our roads, were you to remove the idiot drivers, and require functional equipment, would just fine for speeds 15-25 higher than they have now. And a lot of sections would be okay for unlimited speeds. Who really goes 55 for instance, on Rt 70 once your clear of Indy or Terre Haute? Or Rt 65?

Big chunks of 64 east of Louisville, for instance. Great road. And these are just roads I personally have driven, and only a few. Should every mile of these roads be unlimited? Of course not, but most of the autobahn has limits also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM

My Charger: 2012 SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS837 View Post
Let me explain it to you. While we have thousands of miles of raodways that are autobahn quality, we have very, very few drivers of autobahn quality, and even those few who are have to share the roadway with poor drivers driving equally poor cars.

Drivers in Germany take well over a year to be trained, at a cost over $1500 for that training. Cars in Germany have to pass rigorous exams on a regular basis. Not just emissions equipment, but every aspect of the car gets looked at. Including a first aid kit with an expiration date that's current. Leaks of fluids are a fail. Here in MD, a car gets maybe half that, but only when it's sold, you can buy a car and never have it looked at again.

So thats why we cant have autobahns, because Americans would break out the pitchforks and torches were any politician to recommend real driver training and real vehicle inspections.
GLH - Thanks for the info....I was not aware of the Autobahn requirements....(I was aware of our poor drivers). Good stuff!

FG

"Victorious warriors win first, and then go to war....
while defeated warriors go to war seeking to win."

-Sun Tzu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM

My Charger: '14 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Quote:
......Drivers in Germany take well over a year to be trained, at a cost over $1500 for that training....... / ...... Americans would break out the pitchforks and torches were any politician to recommend real driver training and real vehicle inspections.
Many European countries have much stricter training requirements for drivers. The phrase "If you want to win, employ a Fin" didn't come about just because it sounds catchy. The U.S. could be much more thorough on driver training. They don't because too many people feel it's a "right" and not a privilege, and they'd be up in arms if it cost more, and was harder to obtain.
Also as you noted. People would have a fit if vehicle inspections were more restrictive. They'd, of course, blame the mean ol' police for enforcing the violations too. You know because they should be catching "real criminals", since making sure a car is safe to run at 150+ mph would just be harassment. Ha ha. Oh yeah, I could see that whole thing going south real fast.

Quote:
......we have A LOT of very talented drivers out there, and many that are not so talented lol......
True but a lot of the not so talented drivers seem to think, for some crazy reason, that they are the talented ones. I've seen many people drive beyond their ability (professionals included).

Shots: 2014 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Mods: Rear window louvers / Rear spoiler / Black grille / chin spoiler / LED fog lights / Window tint 50/20 / Sunrise red calipers / Tinted tails
.........................buzzed driving, IS drunk driving
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM

This thread was good until i got to page 3 lol i've been about 115 on a public country road. I don't really have any of the weird excuses that I've read. I simply pushed the pedal because i wanted to see what this "Hemi" would do! Plain and simple. i don't see the need for everyone to get all defensive or offensive for that matter. The OP posted a ? if you didn't like the topic keep it moving or go start a thread saying who thinks speeders are stupid. It's a open forum about a muscle car don't be surprised to see that people drive them fast.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM

It is hard not to open the HEMI up! It is just chosing a proper spot to do it. I know I cannot always help myself, but I always try to do it in a "safe manner". It sucks having winter tires on a bit because you cannot open it up too far.
I thought I might point out how there are 2 squares in the room that do not push it past 10 over. LMAO.

Best ET 13.4260
Best 60FT 1.9782
Best MPH 105.43
No modification needed

Last edited by Coffee With Scream; 11-19-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:19 PM

Thats fine to each his own, but don't preach to everyone else on a Car Forum about not speeding. It happens when i get into i back off within seconds. It gets up moves out my thrill is satisfied.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Let me explain it to you. While we have thousands of miles of raodways that are autobahn quality, we have very, very few drivers of autobahn quality, and even those few who are have to share the roadway with poor drivers driving equally poor cars.

Drivers in Germany take well over a year to be trained, at a cost over $1500 for that training. Cars in Germany have to pass rigorous exams on a regular basis. Not just emissions equipment, but every aspect of the car gets looked at. Including a first aid kit with an expiration date that's current. Leaks of fluids are a fail. Here in MD, a car gets maybe half that, but only when it's sold, you can buy a car and never have it looked at again.

So thats why we cant have autobahns, because Americans would break out the pitchforks and torches were any politician to recommend real driver training and real vehicle inspections.

Quote:
Well, I don't know what part of the U.S. you're talking about... maybe around ND? They have really great roads up there, but as a whole, our infrastructure SUCKS! As for the quality of our drivers, we have A LOT of very talented drivers out there, and many that are not so talented lol. If we could just take away the cell phones, IPODs, and whatever else they are using, we would be just fine. I personally worked with a few cops who were worse drivers than average... and we were running very fast on calls.
That is a huge problem within the driving public. I see so many people texting and talking on their cellphones or drinking or eating it's crazy. When I drive, I am 100% focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg View Post
Thats fine to each his own, but don't preach to everyone else on a Car Forum about not speeding. It happens when i get into i back off within seconds. It gets up moves out my thrill is satisfied.
X2

Keep those votes coming in!!! so many people have view this I would love to see more resonses!!!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChargerSRT392?feature=mhee
Always looking for a good run
2012 Charger SRT8 Blue Streak Pearl
12.53@ 110! Stock
Goal - Low 11s with just a Procharger..no DRs.
2009 Tored Charger SRT8 - Gone but not forgotten.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:28 AM

Properly functioning vehicle equipment is important, not only on the Autobahn, but while on the interstates as well. There's a road in Texas that has a speed limit of 85, and for many years, several roads in Montana were like the Autobahn. Regardless of the roads, you want properly inflated tires, good brakes, steering, headlights (recommended for use even in daytime when operating at high speed), and many other things that should be inspected for safety.

Now, I am more of a libertarian kind of guy, so I believe that people should be responsible for their actions. If they hurt someone else, they have to pay the price. I really don't believe in victimless crimes... in fact, that's one of the reasons why I decided not to return to law enforcement. I was a peace officer... not an enforcer.

If people wish to go fast, they 'should' be responsible and never drive beyond their abilities. ... and while driving fast on calls was really fun, I am not sure what our tires were rated for. I know our cars were police packaged, but if the tires weren't rated for the speeds we were driving, we could've been playing Russian roulette.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Properly functioning vehicle equipment is important, not only on the Autobahn, but while on the interstates as well. There's a road in Texas that has a speed limit of 85, and for many years, several roads in Montana were like the Autobahn. Regardless of the roads, you want properly inflated tires, good brakes, steering, headlights (recommended for use even in daytime when operating at high speed), and many other things that should be inspected for safety.

Now, I am more of a libertarian kind of guy, so I believe that people should be responsible for their actions. If they hurt someone else, they have to pay the price. I really don't believe in victimless crimes... in fact, that's one of the reasons why I decided not to return to law enforcement. I was a peace officer... not an enforcer.

If people wish to go fast, they 'should' be responsible and never drive beyond their abilities. ... and while driving fast on calls was really fun, I am not sure what our tires were rated for. I know our cars were police packaged, but if the tires weren't rated for the speeds we were driving, we could've been playing Russian roulette.

Every pursuit rated car I know of has tires rated to match. The higher geared CVPI I think was limited to 130. All of Dodges police cars get 150mph tires.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Every pursuit rated car I know of has tires rated to match. The higher geared CVPI I think was limited to 130. All of Dodges police cars get 150mph tires.
The regular geared 4.6 lead sleds ran out of thrust at 130 MPH (we had them pegged on every run). Now the 3.55 geared sled was limited to about 120. I just wasn't sure about the tires... you would have thought that they did add H rated tires to the police packaged sleds and a higher rating for the Charger pursuit. That wasn't a concern of mine when I was on duty, but now that I know more about cars, I looked back and wondered lol.

Last edited by AFPVet; 11-20-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Charger Chat Lounge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.