Oil Change Interval Questions - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstubb View Post
Jonny, What I meant was that an engine run extensively with a cleaner oil may still look good even after going back to a conventional because there hasn't been an accumulated amount of time back on a product producing sludge, etc. and the interval is shorter so there would be less wear metals due to the shorter interval change. However, you show two changes on supertech so I might be wrong. I don't believe in magic oil having an affect long after it is gone! Although reading my post again, I can see how you could read it that way! I was thinking of it in terms of a smoothly running motor slowly getting roughed up again.
The equivalent readings based on time on your latest oil change would be about 5 on aluminum and about 30 with iron in comparison to the one posted by 370 on a per mile basis, so you are getting about twice the iron wear and about the 25% more aluminum wear with the supertech, but overall not bad. From what I see, the synthetics are not much different than the conventional.

I have to change my oil this weekend because the miles keep going up and I have some driving to do. I will conserve some for the test kit I ordered, and check again the next couple changes to see what is going on and get some QB in there. That might be a benefit for the whole community, or at least for us little guys, the pentastar v6 drivers!
I pretty much understood what you were saying. I'm just not sure I buy into a significant amount of particulates, out of suspension, becoming suspended into the next oil change. Does that make sense?

Also, as far as comparing two different cars using two different oils... or even the same car with two different oils, but under different conditions... that's like comparing apples and oranges. They both are very similar, yet so different.

If we can pick (cherry picking...) the cars for store bought synthetics to use as a baseline, I would choose to use a certain 2006 R/T with 200k+ miles...

Same car/engine I have... same oil I've used.... different conditions!

Don't go by the results someone else got with an oil. Try it yourself, have it analyzed by a lab that YOU choose, and be sure that you are the one sending it to the lab, and receiving the results.

If it works great for you, excellent!

I try not to put too much weight on manufacturers claims, they all say they are the best.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Supporting Vendor

My Charger: 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamstubb View Post
Jonny, What I meant was that an engine run extensively with a cleaner oil may still look good even after going back to a conventional because there hasn't been an accumulated amount of time back on a product producing sludge, etc. and the interval is shorter so there would be less wear metals due to the shorter interval change. However, you show two changes on supertech so I might be wrong.

You are not wrong and are reading it correctly!

I don't believe in magic oil having an affect long after it is gone! Although reading my post again, I can see how you could read it that way! I was thinking of it in terms of a smoothly running motor slowly getting roughed up again.
The equivalent readings based on time on your latest oil change would be about 5 on aluminum and about 30 with iron in comparison to the one posted by 370 on a per mile basis, so you are getting about twice the iron wear and about the 25% more aluminum wear with the supertech, but overall not bad. From what I see, the synthetics are not much different than the conventional.

While the conventional oils have had to get better due to the demands of the new ILSAC GF-5 and API-SN Energy Conserving II, they are still solvent refined. They still have more reactivity that subjects them to distillation and evaporation issues leaving washdown. When that happens, the viscosities change and end up in dillution....hence the lower numbers of Centistoke @ 100 degrees C. In a 5.7L Hemi, you want a value that is over 9.5 cSt @ 100 degrees C. which is what QuantumBlue does. 6.73 and 6.88 are too thin!

I have to change my oil this weekend because the miles keep going up and I have some driving to do. I will conserve some for the test kit I ordered, and check again the next couple changes to see what is going on and get some QB in there. That might be a benefit for the whole community, or at least for us little guys, the pentastar v6 drivers!
When you are ready, we will make you a 8.5w32 QB HP Competition Formula 3.6L DOHC Competition Formula for your car. It will give a great account of itself.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats shelf the brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM

Here is the initial report on the first oil change in case anyone is curious. The oil was replaced with Mobil 1 5W-30 and I will run a report on that next for comparison. Now I am just curious to see how this goes over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 CHARGER-110312_Redacted.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	71705  
Old 11-20-2012, 06:50 AM

Congrats on doing the initial fill!

I did the same thing with my Hemi and had similar results. It took quite awhile for the wear metals to settle down.

You have a good baseline now to observe any trends.

My first analysis with the factory fill:

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM

It has always been obvious to me that a dioplification index below 90 creates a better wear pattern. This is achieved by getting the normalized average of the Centistoke value (mentioned earlier) and multiplying it by the gravitational transpondence generated during the last tri-planet alignment. Keeping this above 68% allows the Johnson rod to spin smoother with less bi-chromial flake off (a good thing). I hope this information is has been as helpful as some of the other fluff in this thread.

This topic creates more fire than any other on the forum (except maybe lower temp thermostats). Do yourself a favor - buy good, high detergent oil of the correct viscosity, buy a good filter, change them at the recommeneded intervals and be done with all the hype.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Rodneyiii that is hilarious!! Do I have your permission to use that on someone someday? I see your perspective and that is fine. I think it is the scientist in me (I run a university research lab) combined with my interest in my new cool car and the fact that I normally run my cars to about 250K miles that is compelling me to do this. Really I am just curious and I have the spare change to check this out. Like any other hobby, it is difficult to justify spending time and resource on it beyond saying that I like it and it makes me happy. If I didn't want to have fun, I would take the bus or bought a Corolla!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
It has always been obvious to me that a dioplification index below 90 creates a better wear pattern. This is achieved by getting the normalized average of the Centistoke value (mentioned earlier) and multiplying it by the gravitational transpondence generated during the last tri-planet alignment. Keeping this above 68% allows the Johnson rod to spin smoother with less bi-chromial flake off (a good thing). I hope this information is has been as helpful as some of the other fluff in this thread.

This topic creates more fire than any other on the forum (except maybe lower temp thermostats). Do yourself a favor - buy good, high detergent oil of the correct viscosity, buy a good filter, change them at the recommeneded intervals and be done with all the hype.
You are officially my new favorite member here.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Tags
pentastar; oil; v6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.