need for improved headlights - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

#21 Old 11-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Martok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblin Steve View Post
How are they not functional? I can tell the difference if my fogs are on vs off, I can see more of the road directly in front of me.
I can tell if my fogs are on by the road signs by 1/8th mile down the expressway!

2010 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5

Spyder Halo/LED/Projection lights, 5k HID Lows & Fogs
K2 Black Honeycomb Grill w/ 1969 Charger Emblem
Custom Black Billet T-Shift w/ "Charger" engraving
30% Tint, all 5 windows, Class III Receiver
Diablosport (93 tune) CAI (generic/fender) R/T Exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
The stock fogs are often poorly adjusted from the factory. Also, a lot of folks don't know you can adjust them. Sometimes folks replace the stocks with brighter bulbs and claim a big difference but don't realize it's mainly because the stock lights were aimed too low and the brighter bulbs are compensating for the incorrect adjustment. I'm not saying anyone here did this, just pointing it out.

I adjusted my stock fogs to the correct height and they work quite well. With the factory setting, they were useless. I can literally drive at night at highway speed using nothing more than the fog lamps with stock bulbs...which is what fog lights are intended to do in fog. Being lower than the headlights, they simply produce less reflective glare and "cut under" the fog to illuminate the road.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#23 Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Martok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
The stock fogs are often poorly adjusted from the factory. Also, a lot of folks don't know you can adjust them. Sometimes folks replace the stocks with brighter bulbs and claim a big difference but don't realize it's mainly because the stock lights were aimed too low and the brighter bulbs are compensating for the incorrect adjustment. I'm not saying anyone here did this, just pointing it out.

I adjusted my stock fogs to the correct height and they work quite well. With the factory setting, they were useless. I can literally drive at night at highway speed using nothing more than the fog lamps with stock bulbs...which is what fog lights are intended to do in fog. Being lower than the headlights, they simply produce less reflective glare and "cut under" the fog to illuminate the road.
That wasnt my case. My alignment was ok. My problem was the stock bulbs just sucked. One died and come to find out, it was a dealer-only part. They were charging $25 for these junk bulbs that only lasted a year and a half. While installing the hid, I noticed the other fog light was just about burned out too.

If you have projectors, good hid fogs make sense. The projectors have a defined shape to them and the fogs help diffuse light to darker areas.
#24 Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
That wasnt my case. My alignment was ok. My problem was the stock bulbs just sucked. One died and come to find out, it was a dealer-only part. They were charging $25 for these junk bulbs that only lasted a year and a half. While installing the hid, I noticed the other fog light was just about burned out too.

If you have projectors, good hid fogs make sense. The projectors have a defined shape to them and the fogs help diffuse light to darker areas.
I don't know if there was a difference between the '06 and '10 bulbs.

My stock bulbs are 7 years old and still work fine. I drive with them on full time with the headlights. I never turn off the fogs but occassionally (in foggy conditions) I turn off the headlights and just run with the fogs on.

I've never felt a need to upgrade the stock fogs to HID, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either. Maybe it's better, IDK.

I do know I seriously disliked the HID factory headlights in the 2011 Chrysler 300 I rented for a week last year. I couldn't stand the shutter cut-off on the light field that made the headlights nearly useless in certain conditions when the vehicle was facing down into a grade that rose on the other side. HIDs with low-beam shutter cut-offs need to be self-leveling to maintain proper illumination of the road ahead.

In general, I don't like any headlight that uses a shutter to switch between low-beam and high-beam without adding additional bulbs and lenses specifically for high-beam application.
#25 Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Martok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
I don't know if there was a difference between the '06 and '10 bulbs.

My stock bulbs are 7 years old and still work fine. I drive with them on full time with the headlights. I never turn off the fogs but occassionally (in foggy conditions) I turn off the headlights and just run with the fogs on.

I've never felt a need to upgrade the stock fogs to HID, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt either. Maybe it's better, IDK.

I do know I seriously disliked the HID factory headlights in the 2011 Chrysler 300 I rented for a week last year. I couldn't stand the shutter cut-off on the light field that made the headlights nearly useless in certain conditions when the vehicle was facing down into a grade that rose on the other side. HIDs with low-beam shutter cut-offs need to be self-leveling to maintain proper illumination of the road ahead.

In general, I don't like any headlight that uses a shutter to switch between low-beam and high-beam without adding additional bulbs and lenses specifically for high-beam application.
Dodge changed the fog bulb in 2010. I upgraded the fogs to hid because I am planning on doing the headlights too. I am getting the same color from the same manufacture so they should match. Having one hid and the other halogen doesnt look right anyway. Trust me a hid fog upgrade is a good investment. Anyone else have them?
#26 Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM
xkm121

Yep. The 2010 onward Charger use 9009/5202 bulb for fog. It is a 24watt bulb. The function of the fog for 2010+ Charger become merely a decoration.

Upgrading to HID or even high wattage LED is better than the stock 24watt ones.

06~10 use 9145 bulb. It is a 45watt version of 9005 bulb. So it does perform better than the 10+ Charger's stock 5202 bulb.

Bitten By Mod Bug Again

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic43010_3.gif
#27 Old 11-14-2012, 03:03 AM
xkm121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
Dodge changed the fog bulb in 2010. I upgraded the fogs to hid because I am planning on doing the headlights too. I am getting the same color from the same manufacture so they should match. Having one hid and the other halogen doesnt look right anyway. Trust me a hid fog upgrade is a good investment. Anyone else have them?
I have. Definitely light up the road better.

#28 Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Stumblin Steve

How do you go about correctly adjusting the fog lights? It never really occurred to me to even check, good looking out guys!

I know where to adjust the fog lights just not the headlights, I'm just wondering how to make sure they are adjusted properly and if not how to make sure the light is where it needs to be.

Just your friendly neighborhood...Charger
'08 SXT Bright Silver. Dark slate interior. OEM MOPAR pedals/hood struts/CAI/Chin Spoiler. R/T true dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow tips. SRT8 rear diffuser. Predator 93 Tune. Lots of B.T. Stuff!
Comprehensive V6 Performance Thread
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
#29 Old 11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Ddaddy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblin Steve View Post
How do you go about correctly adjusting the fog lights? It never really occurred to me to even check, good looking out guys!

I know where to adjust the fog lights just not the headlights, I'm just wondering how to make sure they are adjusted properly and if not how to make sure the light is where it needs to be.
IDK if there is a "correct" way to do it, but what I did was find a large open spot of flat road at night where I could work (it was a parking lot that was a almost a half mile long and was unlit.

I turned on my headlights and then walked out to where the low beam struck the road closest to my car and marked the asphalt with sidewalk chalk so I could see it. I put a similar mark on the farthest point the low-beam struck.

I then turned off the headlights and turned on only the fogs. I adjusted them so that they struck the road past the closest point I could see from the driver's seat and extended out to past the mid point of the low beam marks. (this way when I drive with the low beams and fogs on, the fogs fill in the beam pattern)

After that, I turned the car to face the cinderblock wall of the store backs that were along the parking lot edge and moved the car to about 40 feet away. I then could see the line each fog beam cast and fine tuned them to be level with each other.

Adjusting the headlights first was a different proceedure where I used the same location and set the height so that the farthest edge of the low beam distinctly lit the asphalt and didn't go off into the horizon and the closest edge was not too far down the road (within 2 car lengths).

Both of these adjustments required a lot of getting back in the driver's seat to determine if the light pattern suited me. I also drove it several times at night and then repeated the process to fine tune where I wanted the beams to be.

Note: Only the height can be adjusted on either the fogs or the lowbeams. Highbeams simply follow the lowbeam adjustment and can't be adjusted independently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List