Is this a bad habit Junk or anyone? - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications > Detailing/Washing/Waxing

Detailing/Washing/Waxing If you would like to discuss keeping your ride looking as good as it did when it rolled off the assembly line, this is the place to do it.
Sponsored by Mothers Polishes

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2008 Charger SXT
Send a message via AIM to Stumblin Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopon2s View Post
I seen that is what Junkman uses an "electric" leaf blower. I've considered it but I have a few paint chips and I'm afraid that it would peel it back more but I'm a little OCD when it comes to my car.
If driving at 60+mph doesn't make your chips peel more I don't think a leaf blower will Paint chips aren't going to peel from wind, they're going to peel because water and all gets under the clear and paint...then you got a problem. That's why you always touch them up with some Dr. Chip!
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblin Steve View Post
If driving at 60+mph doesn't make your chips peel more I don't think a leaf blower will...
BINGO. I've seen a few people post this concern and I fail to understand why they don't realize that they are driving faster than a leaf blower can blow.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
BINGO. I've seen a few people post this concern and I fail to understand why they don't realize that they are driving faster than a leaf blower can blow.
No true. Leaf blowers blow in excess of 100MPH (some over 200mph) Also when blowing off a car the wind force is being applied at a much more aggressive angle to the paint and can sometimes cause damage. Especially if your car has been repainted improperly and the paint isn't adhering as well to the paint or primer beneath it. I've seen numerous cars' paint simply peel away from a blast of compressed air at my father's body shop.

450RWHP/432TQ
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC SRT8 View Post
No true. Leaf blowers blow in excess of 100MPH (some over 200mph)
That's like saying that cars get 30 miles to the gallon. NOT ALL CARS! You can't generalize every leaf blower on the planet with that blanket statement. In my videos, I stress the use of only electric leaf blowers. They do NOT blow anywhere near 100 MPH.

Quote:
Also when blowing off a car the wind force is being applied at a much more aggressive angle to the paint and can sometimes cause damage.
I have dried my paint for years using a leaf blower and not ONCE has any damage been attributed to that practice. Now when I put my car on the NASCAR track at AMS, the damage that I get from following someone too close is profound. But using a electric leaf blower? You have got to be kidding, and I use to put my blower right next to the paint. Now I use a much more powerful blower, the Air Force Master Blaster. It didn't do any damage to this $250,000 Lambo and it definitely doesn't hurt my Corvette's finish.

Quote:
Especially if your car has been repainted improperly and the paint isn't adhering as well to the paint or primer beneath it. I've seen numerous cars' paint simply peel away from a blast of compressed air at my father's body shop.
No one said to use compressed air to dry your car. That has it's own problems with all the crap that can settle in the air tank. We're talking leaf blowers here. Also, badly applied paint is a completely different story. Washing that paint can cause chips. I can insert all kinds of variables that will rule out anything. However, that is not the OP's situation.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM

I really might look into this eletric leaf blower seems to be a heck of a lot less work with drying and less time with same effect
DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, Smoked tail lights and side corners, de molded, de badged, SRT8 spoiler, SRT8 replica 20's (chrome), AEM Brute Force CAI, SMD LED interior lights, honeycomb grille insert, Diablosport Intune 89 tune, Danko front lip, 35% tint, LED tag light, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, Pioneer AVH-X3500 double din
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I really might look into this eletric leaf blower seems to be a heck of a lot less work with drying and less time with same effect
It's not so much that it will save you time, the main advantage of drying with air (or better yet, heated air) is the less you touch the paint, the less opportunity there is for you to scratch the paint. If you dry the car without touching it, you have just eliminated a major opportunity to scratch anything.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
It's not so much that it will save you time, the main advantage of drying with air (or better yet, heated air) is the less you touch the paint, the less opportunity there is for you to scratch the paint. If you dry the car without touching it, you have just eliminated a major opportunity to scratch anything.
I def agree 100%, where did you say you got yours at I remember watching your video but can't remember the place.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I def agree 100%, where did you say you got yours at I remember watching your video but can't remember the place.
I use a Master Blaster now but my leaf blower came from Sears.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
That's like saying that cars get 30 miles to the gallon. NOT ALL CARS! You can't generalize every leaf blower on the planet with that blanket statement. In my videos, I stress the use of only electric leaf blowers. They do NOT blow anywhere near 100 MPH.
Oh really?
$55.97: Toro 230 mph 390 CFM Electric Super Leaf Blower/Vac/ Shredder

$74.97: Toro Ultra 235 mph Electric Ultra Leaf Blower/Vac

$39.97: Homelite 220 mph 300 CFM Electric Blower/Vac

$99.00: Ryobi One+ 120 mph 120 CFM 18-Volt Cordless Electric Blower

$74.97: BLACK & DECKER 120 mph 90 CFM Electric 18-Volt NiCad Sweeper

$89.97: Worx 210 mph 350 CFM Electric Blower/Mulcher/Vac

$119.99: TriVac Deluxe 210 mph 350 CFM Electric 12 Amp Blower/Mulcher/Vac

$67.00: BLACK & DECKER LeafHog 240 mph 385 CFM Electric Blower Vac

$37.00: WeedEater EBV200W 200 mph 350 CFM Electric 12 Amp Leaf Blower/Vacuum

Should I go on?

The cars YOU detail are usually in good shape (paint wise) which is why their owners pay a professional (you) to detail them. This is a public forum and the PUBLIC should be aware that blowing off a car CAN (I didn't say WILL) damage a car just as badly if not worse, than towel or shammy drying if their paint has breaks or imperfections in it. Not everyone's car is perfect. So don't get your shorts in a bunch because someone here disagrees with YOUR techniques or offers a rebuttal to your incorrect information. There are other ways to clean a car besides Junkman's way.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
...The cars YOU detail are usually in good shape (paint wise) which is why their owners pay a professional (you) to detail them. This is a public forum and the PUBLIC should be aware that blowing off a car CAN (I didn't say WILL) damage a car just as badly if not worse, than towel or shammy drying if their paint has breaks or imperfections in it. Not everyone's car is perfect. So don't get your shorts in a bunch because someone here disagrees with YOUR techniques or offers a rebuttal to your incorrect information. There are other ways to clean a car besides Junkman's way.
The OP was talking about driving his car dry. You're trying to compare driving his car dry like using a leaf blower. You can twist and turn the thread anyway you want to, including posting a bunch of information without one link to back it up. Does that make you correct? Far from it, it just shows that you know how to use a keyboard. So we'll just agree to disagree and once you've touch as many cars as I have seen, then I'll come to YOUR detail clinic and pickup some knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications > Detailing/Washing/Waxing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.