Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Philly PA
|Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.|
||Thread Tools||Search this Thread||Display Modes|
Based on all the suggestions and feedback, i've made up my mind to buy
winter tires and not all season tires.
Please advice on the following:
1. Are new tires really worth it, considering the amount of money i'll be investing, for use over the next 6 months only? Can i stock them after winter is over and get them back on for the next season? How many seasons would they last?
You can store the tires until the next season and use them year after year. The life of the tire will be determined by the miles you drive each season. Most new winter tires can be used for up to 10 years without the rubber dry-rotting so you will likely wear them out long before they age to that point.
2. If yes, what are the most budget friendly recommendations? For instance, Firestone Winterforce over Bridgestone Blizzak... What do you think of this one? http://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/...17-99t-sl.tire
There are many recommendations on the forum if you search a little.
3. If i were to go for used tires, How much are they worth spending for? If i am spending $350 for a set of used tires, i'd rather get a set of new tires for $500. Apart from the tread and age, what other factors do i need to look into?
Used tires should be evaluated for tread depth, rubber condition and age. Otherwise, they can be a good choice if you find the right deal.
4. Do i buy tires and get them on the existing rims, or buy tires with rims for easy chage over? Will the extra set of rims be additional maintainence? Rusting and other issues?
You can swap the winter tires for your current tires and swap them back after the season is over, but most members choose to buy a second inexpensive set of wheels to keep the winter tires mounted on to make the change over each season easier.
5. What are the things to be taken care of, after repalcing the tires? Alignment, balancing etc.
The tires should be maintained with balancing and the car alignment for the vehicle and should be done on it's own schedule regardless of swapping tires. It's not required to re-align for a tire swap.
6. Can the spare tires work as replacements for sand bags in the trunk?
They can, but it's a lot of space lost in the trunk and it's hard to get more than one in there. A single tire and wheel combo typically weighs between 40-50 lbs. Sand would be a better choice.
7. How to place sand bags in the trunk (in a protective cover?) to avoid sand spill?
I would recommend filling 2-5 gal plastic containers with the sand (like used kittly litter jugs with a screw-cap) or even 1 gallon milk jugs can work. No leaks and easily re-arranged in the trunk as needed. 5 gal paint pails can also work well.
8. How to store the spare set of tires when not in use? (I don't have a garage, just a patio)
Get a patio tire garage like this..
9. Specific winter care for the car itself?
Make sure your coolant is good and will protect to the temps you expect to see. Keep the winshield washer fluid full and consider a de-icing type like Prestone than melts ice quickly. Keep a least one spare container of washer fluid in the trunk. It will add ballast and always be there if you ever run out under the hood. Replace your wiper blades before and after each winter season. Winter wiper blades are a good idea too.
As for as set of winter tires...after months of research, I went with the new Toyo Observe GSi5 for my 2012 Blacktop. More info here...
Thank you for the information Ddaddy!
I live in Danbury, Conencticut and from what i have heard from locals, it snows pretty heavy out here. So, i guess i'll go for winter tires over all-season tires...
Now, this is a great piece of information. I'll be trying this when i get a chance. Now i know when to use 'Neutral', other than when driving the car on a car wash track.
|rwd, sand, snow, tires, winter|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|SXT RWD Daily Driver-Snow||Buck Armstrong||General Charger Discussion||22||03-13-2010 10:47 AM|
|first time in snow||drambo136||General Charger Discussion||19||12-16-2009 02:01 AM|
|Why you want to kill a snow plow driver||Blank Dave||General Charger Discussion||15||08-24-2009 09:19 AM|
|First time in snow. How will it do?||500||General Charger Discussion||16||01-19-2009 10:05 PM|
|snow tire time comming up !! What do/have you used and how do you like it?||Jason84||Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension||11||10-20-2008 12:00 PM|