HELP! First Time Snow Driver - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashkapoor View Post
Based on all the suggestions and feedback, i've made up my mind to buy
winter tires and not all season tires.

Please advice on the following:
1. Are new tires really worth it, considering the amount of money i'll be investing, for use over the next 6 months only? Can i stock them after winter is over and get them back on for the next season? How many seasons would they last?

You can store the tires until the next season and use them year after year. The life of the tire will be determined by the miles you drive each season. Most new winter tires can be used for up to 10 years without the rubber dry-rotting so you will likely wear them out long before they age to that point.

2. If yes, what are the most budget friendly recommendations? For instance, Firestone Winterforce over Bridgestone Blizzak... What do you think of this one? http://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/...17-99t-sl.tire

There are many recommendations on the forum if you search a little.

3. If i were to go for used tires, How much are they worth spending for? If i am spending $350 for a set of used tires, i'd rather get a set of new tires for $500. Apart from the tread and age, what other factors do i need to look into?

Used tires should be evaluated for tread depth, rubber condition and age. Otherwise, they can be a good choice if you find the right deal.

4. Do i buy tires and get them on the existing rims, or buy tires with rims for easy chage over? Will the extra set of rims be additional maintainence? Rusting and other issues?

You can swap the winter tires for your current tires and swap them back after the season is over, but most members choose to buy a second inexpensive set of wheels to keep the winter tires mounted on to make the change over each season easier.

5. What are the things to be taken care of, after repalcing the tires? Alignment, balancing etc.

The tires should be maintained with balancing and the car alignment for the vehicle and should be done on it's own schedule regardless of swapping tires. It's not required to re-align for a tire swap.

6. Can the spare tires work as replacements for sand bags in the trunk?

They can, but it's a lot of space lost in the trunk and it's hard to get more than one in there. A single tire and wheel combo typically weighs between 40-50 lbs. Sand would be a better choice.

7. How to place sand bags in the trunk (in a protective cover?) to avoid sand spill?

I would recommend filling 2-5 gal plastic containers with the sand (like used kittly litter jugs with a screw-cap) or even 1 gallon milk jugs can work. No leaks and easily re-arranged in the trunk as needed. 5 gal paint pails can also work well.

8. How to store the spare set of tires when not in use? (I don't have a garage, just a patio)

Get a patio tire garage like this..

http://www.amazon.com/Flagline-Tire-.../dp/B000F6V9MW.

9. Specific winter care for the car itself?

Make sure your coolant is good and will protect to the temps you expect to see. Keep the winshield washer fluid full and consider a de-icing type like Prestone than melts ice quickly. Keep a least one spare container of washer fluid in the trunk. It will add ballast and always be there if you ever run out under the hood. Replace your wiper blades before and after each winter season. Winter wiper blades are a good idea too.

Thanks again!
Hope this helps!

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 05:44 PM

My Charger: 2013 Granite Grey R/T
Ddaddy = the swiss army knife of forum advice.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat11 View Post
I agree with you completely! Thanks for all the advice DdaDdy
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmat11 View Post
Quote:
I agree with you completely! Thanks for all the advice Ddaddy
LOL! Glad to help...

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargermaster View Post
As for as set of winter tires...after months of research, I went with the new Toyo Observe GSi5 for my 2012 Blacktop. More info here...

http://www.toyotires.ca/tire/pattern/observe-gsi5
Funny enough I just got these same tires today. Hope they work out great for the coming storms this winter!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 AM

Danbury had nearly 9 inches of snow last night in the first winter storm of the season.

Yashkapoor let us know how you made out.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:

These are expensive!!

Yeah, nokians aren't cheap, but they work. I think we paid about $650 installed for the ones I put on our dodge caravan (225/65R16 IIRC). They've wore very well. we've got about 25k miles on them now with very minimal wear; we should be able to get about 50+k miles out of them. They're fantastic in all weather conditions and on ice, and it saves the hassle of seasonally swapping tires and finding room to store a set of tires--my garage is quite crowded as it is...IIRC when I checked, a 235/55R18 WRG2 was around $200 ea installed...the 275/45R20's are painfully expensive (was quoted $325ea installed).

if you get some winter tires, I'd strongly suggest finding a cheap second set of wheels, it's much easier to just unbolt 5 lug nuts and swap the wheel/tire assy, vs. having the tires mounted and dismounted on the rims twice a year. your SE V6 can use any charger, 300, challenger, or magnum RWD wheel. 17" take offs are usually pretty cheap. the smaller rim diameter also makes the snow tires cheaper, usually.

some used options for you
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/pts/3386100212.html
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/ptd/3393143036.html
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/pts/3347936520.html
http://hartford.craigslist.org/pts/3335739920.html

Last edited by michiganpat; 11-08-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the information Ddaddy!
I live in Danbury, Conencticut and from what i have heard from locals, it snows pretty heavy out here. So, i guess i'll go for winter tires over all-season tires...

Now, this is a great piece of information. I'll be trying this when i get a chance. Now i know when to use 'Neutral', other than when driving the car on a car wash track.
Thank you!

Yash,

I'm from Danbury and have family in New Milford. I now live in Florida... The roads do get really bad. All the info on the posts are very helpful!!
One piece of advice that I can give is..... Take your time driving and don't let others scare you!! You will catch on quick!! Oh, and leave tons and tons of space in front of you while following someone. I've gone up and down mountains sideways many times. Just be patient and maintain a steady slow speed!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 AM

I think one of the most important things is, to factor in the extra time it takes to drive somewhere in bad conditions. You obviously have to drive slower, so leave 10, 15, even 20 minutes earlier than you normally would, so you know you have time to take your time. By which I mean you don't get to a spot that you think you can do the speed limit because you feel comfortable, when you really should be driving slower.
Also, don't drive defensively. My main concern in bad weather is other drivers. I'm going to drive when and where I know I can. If I get in an accident, it will most likely be someone elses fault. So don't swerve out of someone elses way and end up in a ditch, because they will most likely keep driving, and you'll end up paying the damages yourself. Other than that, the traction control and ABS in our cars work great! I haven't experienced it yet in my Charger, but in my SE Magnum it was amazing in snow. Pretty much like driving on dry pavement, just really, really slow.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteel View Post
Danbury had nearly 9 inches of snow last night in the first winter storm of the season.

Yashkapoor let us know how you made out.
I will ColdSteel! Thanks for all the advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Tags
rwd, sand, snow, tires, winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.