Future of SRT - Page 5 - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT-8 Discussion This area is for discussion involving the SRT-8 version of the Dodge Charger.

#41 Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 AM
13WhiteSRT

Whether or not there is complaining or not (I believe there is), the object of the OP's post, if I understand it, is the future of SRT, particularly as it affects Chargers.

My point in response was whether turbo or supercharging will price the SRT out of range of the current buyer?

Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. Some want a 36-3800 lb car so that the power to weight is enough to offset the horsepower deficiency. Others want a more powerful engine, either super or turbo charged.
The issue I have with the first premise, is that, with a lower weight, also comes compromises, such as changing the current platforms to a smaller car. One of the reasons I chose a Challenger and, subsequently a Charger, is the size. I do not want a small POS. I am no longer 20 yrs. old, and I have learned power is not everything. I want a car with respectable power and is comfortable as a daily driver or on long trips, that won't break my budget. SRT has that now. Chevy and Ford do not. They are cramped and overpriced.

The issue with the second premise is that the costs will price SRT out of my range. Now, if they'd offer a lower and higher model version, without the sacrifice of the bells and whistles, not in the way they did with the Superbee, I'm all ears. However, the past track record does not support that, it's either all or nothing as far as content goes. I did not buy a Superbee for that reason.

What I'd like to know, is of the people here advocating a more expensive supercharged or turbocharged car, that would most llikely be in the $60,000 plus range; how many could actually afford such a car. I, for one, cannot. I do not really care if a GT500 has 660 hp and an SRT only has 470. Where can one use that much hp on the street? It's all about bragging rights, that I do not care about.

I have a feeling there are many other BUYERS that have the same opinion, as I. Further, there ARE a whole lot of bench racers that whine and complain and neither have the means or the intent of following up on their wishes, just so they can go to a bar or whatever and boast that SRT is the king, even though they don't have one, or have an outdated one. I sincerely hope, no one at Chrysler, Dodge, SRT listens to these types, because they are the ones that cry the loudest with no intent of buying anyways.If that was not the case, they'd already have a Viper or that CTS-V, etc, I keep on hearing is so great. I like what the current offering is, and it's something I can afford. Neither Ford or Chevy is offering anything close, in the price and class range. JMHO Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 Old 11-05-2012, 02:14 PM
bds71

i think the Lx platform would benefit from turbo/SC solely due to the high weight of its vehicles. i too bought my charger for its roominess, but i bought the SRT for its power. (actually, i would have preferred the 2 dr, optional manual tranny of the challenger - but that's another story ). but, don't discount other models. personally, i think the upcoming Cuda (and maybe an SRT optioned Dart) will also fill a niche for those that want it, just as the Viper serves its purpose. will the SC/Turbo price the Lx platform out of most peoples range? possibly, but that's where the other models fill in the gaps. currently, we have R/T and SRT options at the highest end. many folks can't afford the SRT even now. there will always be someone who can't afford the top end - so they settle for what they can get (and Dodge will continue moving forward knowing that they will have customers in each segment). it's all about options, but it's also about presentation vs the competition. when Dodge competes at a higher level then the competition (on whatever metric it's being measured against), it benefits the customer. currently, they simply aren't competing. and, for those older car owners - who may be looking to upgrade and want to stay with Dodge - they just don't see what they want to see. i personally don't like the looks of the new charger. it's a personal opinion. but if it performed better i would still consider it as an alternative upgrade vs other american muscle cars. i am a loyal Chrysler/Dodge customer - but i would not buy the current generation of Charger. (challenger - because they havent changed the look would still be an option for me, but many here need the accessibility of 4 doors which is why they bought the charger in the first place). anyway, cars change - they have for the last couple hundred years, and they will continue to do so. as a consumer i expect change (i don't always agree with it - or rather with a company's specific choices - but i still expect it) such is life - for better or worse. the current gen vehicle is fine (for those who like it), but i (and the OP apparently) think there is always room to improve. SC/Turbo can be a quick route to change that would open up doors to customers who think the current Lx platform is simply too underpowered.

my 2c.

Bryan - Fredericksburg, TX - Silver 2009 Charger SRT-8: Stock + ProCharger (8Lbs), ACES IV, QB Oil/trans/PS
#43 Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
AFPVet

Agreed. If they aren't going to put the Charger on a diet, they need to update the base model. A direct injected, ti-vvt V6 would work. If they added DI to the HEMI, it would get quite a boost too.

Last edited by AFPVet; 11-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.
#44 Old 11-05-2012, 05:33 PM
howzz1854

this is a healthy discussion guys.. so long as we keep it all calm and respectful. i have no particular brand loyalty personally. i usually go with whatever that's best bang for your buck, and look of the vehicle also is a strong determining factor. back when i bought my 06 in 2007, it was the shizzle on the block, because 1. it looked bad ass. 2. it has 4 doors 3. enormous amount of power for what you pay for.

but fast forward to 2012, it simply isn't as competitive as other choices that you have available to you today (ie 5.0, Camaro.. etc). i think these discussions are healthy for car makers to keep on innovating. i have no problem walking across the street and buy a Mustang 5.0 or an SS if that fit my checklist better. and i'll say it again that if i were to shop for a sporty muscle car today, i would probably get the Boss or the 5.0. but i am not because buying another car is about as far down my current priority list.

i do hope Dodge will continue improving because believe it or not, i too agree that it's falling behind on the power/price/performance war between its competititors, and yes it's "IMO" yadi yada. i still like my SRT, but my next car might very well be another brand if Dodge doesn't fulfil my checklist of price/performance/power. that and i probably won't be needing a 4 door anymore, consider i have another fuel efficient familiy SUV for that.

06 SRT8: K&N high flow filter, 3" Magnaflow exhaust, Predator 91 oct Cai canned tune.
#45 Old 11-05-2012, 05:42 PM
tundra

Never mind, I am not going to feed the troll

Last edited by tundra; 11-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.
#46 Old 11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
13WhiteSRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post
this is a healthy discussion guys.. so long as we keep it all calm and respectful. i have no particular brand loyalty personally. i usually go with whatever that's best bang for your buck, and look of the vehicle also is a strong determining factor. back when i bought my 06 in 2007, it was the shizzle on the block, because 1. it looked bad ass. 2. it has 4 doors 3. enormous amount of power for what you pay for.

but fast forward to 2012, it simply isn't as competitive as other choices that you have available to you today (ie 5.0, Camaro.. etc). i think these discussions are healthy for car makers to keep on innovating. i have no problem walking across the street and buy a Mustang 5.0 or an SS if that fit my checklist better. and i'll say it again that if i were to shop for a sporty muscle car today, i would probably get the Boss or the 5.0. but i am not because buying another car is about as far down my current priority list.

i do hope Dodge will continue improving because believe it or not, i too agree that it's falling behind on the power/price/performance war between its competititors, and yes it's "IMO" yadi yada. i still like my SRT, but my next car might very well be another brand if Dodge doesn't fulfil my checklist of price/performance/power. that and i probably won't be needing a 4 door anymore, consider i have another fuel efficient familiy SUV for that.
Trying to keep my response limited to the Charger, 4 dr, catagory: how do you justify comparing a 4dr to a 2dr chassis? Might as well starting comparing a Mustang to a Viper. There are no other choices if one is looking for a 450hp+ 4dr brand new car for under $50,000. That is a fact. If one desires more hp, you are stepping into another level of price/class. If you're willing to settle for less, than I guess the closet competitor is a SHO. Now compare machines and can you honestly say there is a close comparison? Keeping that in perspective, why should SRT add more hp and hense cost to a car that already has no competition, except for it's sister, the 300SRT. If you no longer need a 4dr, then the discussion is mute. Part of the problem in the auto industry in the past, and which brought them to the brink, was making things no one wants to buy. What is the market for a $60,000 Charger? If anyone here thinks they are going to get a SC 6.2 for under that, they are fooling themselves.

Now if you're going to meander into 2dr models, that is another discussion that probably should be held on the Challenger board. And, even then; spend a week in a Mustang, a week in a Camaro, and a week in a Challenger, and tell me which car is better as a hp daily driver. There is more to a car the numbers on a page. But, I digress, THAT discussion should be on the Challenger, Mustang, Camaro boards.
#47 Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
In my opinion (yes, just mine) this discussion is about the future of SRT, not whether you like where they are today.

In 2006, SRT was a game changer. Today, they have a comfortable customer base (as some have expressed)...perhaps not much more.

Where are they going in the future?

Or perhaps (the point of the thread), where should they be going?

If the auto world has changed so much in the past 6 years since SRT showed up in a major way, where do folks think they should they go from here in the next 6 years?

This isn't a bash or defend SRT today thread...it's a where should they go tomorrow thread.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#48 Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Coffee With Scream

I really do not see them doing anything with Charger/300 in the next step right now. Once Dart/Viper is established then we will for sure see some steps toward Charger. SRT cannot afford to get too ahead of themselves quite yet. It really is a new brand testing the market. Turbo and Supercharger are becoming more popular and maybe the technology will drop in price so they can keep making car that has no competetor. I really dig what SRT is doing right now but improvements can always been done and are apreciated.

2010 R/T R&T
SUPER TRACK PAK TorRed

Best ET 13.4260
Best 60FT 1.9782
Best MPH 105.43
No modification needed
#49 Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM
13WhiteSRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
In my opinion (yes, just mine) this discussion is about the future of SRT, not whether you like where they are today.

In 2006, SRT was a game changer. Today, they have a comfortable customer base (as some have expressed)...perhaps not much more.

Where are they going in the future?

Or perhaps (the point of the thread), where should they be going?

If the auto world has changed so much in the past 6 years since SRT showed up in a major way, where do folks think they should they go from here in the next 6 years?

This isn't a bash or defend SRT today thread...it's a where should they go tomorrow thread.

Near term: I see the 8 speed being introduced late this year or early next
year. For the next few years: minor quality type improvements and color packages, ala Superbee blue and Daytonas. No other major mechanical or appearance changes. Possible new MOPAR parts or performance packages made available.

Far term: new chassis in 2016. No new SRT Charger till 2017. Possible SC 6.2 engine as an option. Hoping for a 2dr Charger, but believe the bean counters will force it to remain 4dr.

Last edited by 13WhiteSRT; 11-06-2012 at 03:29 PM.
#50 Old 11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
tundra

are the records public of all those who have purchased SRT vehicles over the years to see if the numbers are holding steady, shrinking, or expanding? I would be inclined to think they are expanding due to the recent changes with SRT etc... but one never knows. I know how many vehicles were produced give or take once numbers are made public, but that did not break it down to the model levels? More of a curiousity thing to see what percentage of the general population are buying these vs the other models.

Hearing the rumors of the Challenger fading away is kind of a bummer, and it would be nice if Chrysler rethought this and instead of replacing them, brought out the barracuda as well..... which kind of makes me nervous what they will come up with for a design of this. So many rumors floating around about this car from it being a six banger turbo beast to a supercharged 7.0 monster to incorporating a alfa romao(spelling) body style to incorporating all the previous baracuda body styles into one design.....

as for a body redesign of the charger or adding a SC or turbos, Please give us better tires than the 245's.... and it would be nice to see some of those rederings pull a charger into a 2 door beast etc... or perhaps a retro look for the charger? The talk of SC and turbos is beyond my level of knowledge so cannot add or comment to much of that beyond liking it and hoping one is able to utilize one in a productive manner.

Last edited by tundra; 11-07-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List