rt mpg with mds off !!!!! - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#1 Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 PM
johnsondodge

(Thread Starter)
rt mpg with mds off !!!!!

i drove my car in auto stick on the high way , lot of times now and at 70 mph in all 8 cylinders going im getting 28 mpg i have magnaflow exhaust and that is it im impressed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
fst96ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsondodge View Post
i drove my car in auto stick on the high way , lot of times now and at 70 mph in all 8 cylinders going im getting 28 mpg i have magnaflow exhaust and that is it im impressed...
At 70mph on a straight stretch of highway with cruise and MDS on I get 35+mpg according to the EVIC. I've been averaging approximately 19-20mpg combined city/highway since I bought the car last year. My average does dip into the 17mpg range when I'm running late for work.

2008 Brilliant Black R/T with 29R package and every available option except rear seat video.
MagnaFlow cat-back, BBK 85mm TB, Roto-Fab CAI.
#3 Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 AM
2012AWDRT
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96ss View Post
At 70mph on a straight stretch of highway with cruise and MDS on I get 35+mpg according to the EVIC. I've been averaging approximately 19-20mpg combined city/highway since I bought the car last year. My average does dip into the 17mpg range when I'm running late for work.
Was this going downhill with a tail wind? There are efficient true 4-cylinder cars that barely get 35mpg. Your EVIC probably needs calibrated lol.

Now, the 17mpg I can believe!

Brian
#4 Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
fst96ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post
Was this going downhill with a tail wind? There are efficient true 4-cylinder cars that barely get 35mpg. Your EVIC probably needs calibrated lol.

Brian
LOL! No, it's not a constant 35mpg, it just hits 35mpg for short durations during the drive, and I was wrong about the speed. I just got back from running errands and on the highway at 70mph I get a constant 24 to 26mpg. Going downhill the EVIC maxes out at 44.9 mpg.

I don't use the EVIC for my actual mpg calulations, I fill up and divide the miles driven by the gallons used. The EVIC is on the high side by 2 to 3 mpg. So, 17 to 20mpg is real world, not EVIC numbers. I've seen as high as 24mpg average on the EVIC. Obviously, the higher end is mostly highway driving, as my drive to work is almost 50 miles each way.

Last edited by fst96ss; 03-26-2012 at 01:08 PM.
#5 Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM
michiganpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyNovaLN View Post

Brian
my last tank with my '11 R/T was 24.6 on the EVIC, 23.55 hand calculated (miles driven/fuel added) wiht a 60/40 hwy/city split...

'11 Toxic Orange Charger R/T
'06 Dodge Grand Caravan
'76 Plymouth Duster
#6 Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Hemrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsondodge View Post

Pull a spark plug, its probably realy white from being LEAN. Been through this with my FI Harleys

MPG may be great but engine is suffering, lucky its water cooled lean makes alot of extra heat.

Proper tune makes all the difference in the world on a FI motor. I didnt believe it untill I had my bikes dyno tuned WOW! Performance and MPG. My one heavly modded Harley consistantly gets 37MPG average and its doing 100 100 on a touring bike with no water cooling and runs great. Not shabby for 2 cylinders.

2006 Charger R/T 5.7 Police- Texas Highway Patrol
#7 Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 PM
michiganpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemrage View Post
Pull a spark plug, its probably realy white from being LEAN. Been through this with my FI Harleys

MPG may be great but engine is suffering, lucky its water cooled lean makes alot of extra heat.

Proper tune makes all the difference in the world on a FI motor. I didnt believe it untill I had my bikes dyno tuned WOW! Performance and MPG. My one heavly modded Harley consistantly gets 37MPG average and its doing 100 100 on a touring bike with no water cooling and runs great. Not shabby for 2 cylinders.
can't be too lean, otherwise NOx emissions go up beyond acceptable limits governed by the EPA. most cat backs really don't flow much more or make much more power than a stock exhaust (on the '09 up at least) to lean it out significantly.
#8 Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 PM
Hemrage

If it cant supply fuel because of the limited bandwidth of the O2 sensor it wont go up, more fuel and poor mix makes extra hydrocarbons, less fuel less burn makes better emissions but more heat and wear. Hence the old days of "leaning out the carb" on your car to get it to pass. It will only burn what it has available. Best I know the O2 sensors are narrow band just like the harleys, so the "map" for throttle placement to fuel delivery and rpm is just as important as on the bikes. EPA.... Exploiting Peoples Assests

For the limited number of people that modify comparably, there should be a waiver available to us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List