Shorty Headers?...Worth it? - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils6 View Post
If you have all these mods done, how does the car sound both inside and out... I don't want the car soo loud that I get stopped cause it has happend in the past

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.com App
dont have any drone, never did, even before the HEADERS since the EXHAUST was on before hand.

i also dont have an oversized exhaust (2.5 inch or larger) or the franken-exhaust where pipe size goes from one size to another size and back. some of these things can easily cause drone due to spaces too large that allows for the gases to slow down and resonate (similar to how a uke or guitar strings resonate the air to make music) So far i am in the clear with the magnaflow setup. will it stay that way???...doubt it.

I've requoted this before, but "Power makes noise, noise doesnt make power" meaning when you make the car more powerful it naturally will be more sound. simply using a less sound absorbing muffler and making the car god-awful loud doesnt mean you have a powerful car.

with that being said, magnaflow clearly states whats known when you increase power to a car via bolt-ons:

Quote:
Our products are designed and tested to meet legal sound level limits; however, when used in conjunction with other products (such as air intake systems or exhaust headers), the overall combined effect might cause particular vehicles to exceed the allowable limits.

A new law (27150.2 VC) does not require police to use a sound meter to test for excessive noise. A citation is now based upon the officers judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at a smog referee station.
http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question09.asp

if i remember right, 92-95db is the limit in most places. I know someone will post saying "well my car is loud, and i never got pulled over" because the officer may have been too lazy or had more important things to do at the time.... but just know, they dont have to use a sound meter anymore in most places. its done by officer judgement. if 5-0 is having a bad day, and decides to tag ya... they can. some may have more lax officers, others may have people that seek to tag em daily. better to just keep it in spec and not worry about fix-it-tickets and constantly being pulled over.

if you plan to actually add power to a car, if it were me, i'd also plan to adjust your current exhaust to accomodate when the time comes. i already have a new setup for around mid summer planned no different than planning to go to the gym to lose weight or get all jacked.... you should ALSO plan to buy new clothes.

exhaust drone is simply a frequency of exhaust note through a certain rpm. one can always tune the exhuast by using larger mufflers etc to take out more sound if need be, thats no secret there.

majority of people are happy and satisfied with just putting a muffler on that absorbs less sound, so their car is louder... when people get pulled over most times than naught, its because you have a loud car. when you add power to the car, the car naturally becomes louder...you rarely see alot of V8 guys, muscle car guys, etc getting pulled over. it may be a societal bias, but people just accept that "hey that car has some power, even though its loud"... On the other hand, you get the normal young person in an avg to slower than it was in stock trim vehicle... and its like, people (and police)just seem to find it annoying.

most here know the differnce. pull up next to a car with power, and you hear EVERYTHING. the engine, the cam lope, sometimes the s/c whine...even at idle! pull up to the sport compact which is quiet as hell, but once he gets to 25mph slowly it sounds as if his car is redlining at 7500rpm.

as for sound levels with my car setup currently... at 70-80mph, we watch movies on road trips, take phone calls, some even sleep on the way back, etc. when i wanna get on the gas, thats when the sound comes out. i'm not gonna say "it sounds like a V8, or muscle car..." cause it doesnt. but it does sound like a decently powerful v6. I've just heard too many v8's and theres a big difference to even compare the two.

two things i can offer...

this is GB49 from here on the forums. this is from a while back, but we have the same exhaust (Magnaflow 16936) and intake (AFE Stage 2) on the same year car...He doesnt have headers yet in this vid though...

heres the same from mine. righ click and save as... http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...99&postcount=6 the mic is interior, but the windows are down in the front so the wires to the Chasecam didnt get pinched. so the mic does pic up wind noise at speed, but interior at the turn you can hear the empty cup fall over BTW this was pre-header.

its wet out today, but i'll see what i can do about sound (probably interior). it'll give you a general idea and be close, but keep in mind, most cameras dont have an HD mic, which is why i never really bother to listen to many exhaust clips on youtube. you can hear the mic fuzzin out or the wind taking over.

Last edited by Samoan Tsunami; 02-24-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM

I will check these vids out when I get off work tonight, subscribed..
2009 Stone White SXT.. 30% tine on front/15% percent tint in rear. Moonroof, Mygig, black heated leather. Illuminated cup holders. Added Red painted calipers, Interior LED conversion. Soon to have CAI, Tinted tails, Magnaflow dual exhaust and Predator tuner.. Stay Tuned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.