Need Help Idle Problem at red light or parked - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Need Help Idle Problem at red light or parked

HI charger family , I need help. i got only 24,000 miles on 2007 dodge charger, 3.5L HO . i had my charger for 1 year now and i always change my oil's and filter , and air filters on time , and i think im starting to have that same idle problem that everyone else mentioning. , when im at a red light my idle needle looks like it moves a little up and down or when im in park only sometimes like if the car about to stall is this normal. my idle needle when my car is warm is set at 500 or 600 rpm is that normal idle when car is warm ? Do i need to get a re-flash for the dealer or pcm flash or trouble shoot ? cuz im new to this problem..Oh I also forgot if my charger is only 24,000 , The dealer shouldn't charge for the PCM flash or re-flash or trouble shoot right ? Because my charger should be under warranty because its only 24,000 and i bought my charger straight from the dodge dealer.

Last edited by whitenyccharger; 03-12-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: missed some words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 AM

It's normal for RPM's to vary a little at idle, usually in the 500-600 rpm range. Now if its idling rough, with variation's of several hundred, then thats something that the dealership needs to look at.

2006 Torred Daytona #524
Installed Mods: Mopower Shaker, Silverstar's Hi/Low/Fogs, Painted Calipers, R1 Slotted Rotors, Half Covers, ZOOMERS!
Quote:
Torque is the low-end muscle that gets you out of the blocks when the light turns green. It's the thrust that squashes you into the seat when you hammer the gas. Torque is good. Torque is your friend.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 AM

no it dont idle rough , its like 500 or 600 , but the needle jumps a little up and down slightly and the car feels shaky a little like if the idle is to low and makes the car shake , i was thinking of a re-flash or idle reset or something for the dealer to do..unless i need new spark plugs. But i dont think i need new spark plus yet my car only has 24,000 miles. i know the manuel says at 30,000 miles change spark plugs and etc. but i dont know.. and in the morning when i start the car and engine is going on a cold day while the car warming up and the idle needle going down engine feels a little shaky too besides when idle is at 500 or 600.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:32 PM

its like at red light it does it

no actually i meant that when im at a red light the charger feels like it shakes a lil , espcially on cold days , like it the charger going to stall or shake at a red light when the rmp is at 500 or 600 , but it never turns off those my car feels quiet and normal , but only when im a red light at low rpms like 500 it does it.. I heard most chargers do this when its still at red light . alot of people on this site joke around about it and says the charger are hungrey to eat mustangs lol or the charger need to eat because its a beast lol i was laughing when i heard that . And also because chargers has big engines in them..
Old 03-13-2009, 01:39 PM

My car did the same thing. I ask the dealer and the told me to clean out the idle air control. This cane be done by spraying intake cleaner at the bottom of the throttle plate at idle. i did that ans now it is stable 600 rpm at a light.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 mid blue se View Post
My car did the same thing. I ask the dealer and the told me to clean out the idle air control. This cane be done by spraying intake cleaner at the bottom of the throttle plate at idle. i did that ans now it is stable 600 rpm at a light.
Ok now my ram1500 is doing the same thing. How do u get to the bottom of the throttle plate? Do u remove the intake?
Old 04-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vito
mine does it too. but i didnt know it could be fixed with the spray. i think ill have to look into that

I really Hate Mustangs, Especially Cobras
True||Street||Cars
1000+ RWHP Twin Turbo SRT-8 In The Making
Old 04-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenyccharger View Post
no it dont idle rough , its like 500 or 600 , but the needle jumps a little up and down slightly and the car feels shaky a little like if the idle is to low and makes the car shake , i was thinking of a re-flash or idle reset or something for the dealer to do..unless i need new spark plugs. But i dont think i need new spark plus yet my car only has 24,000 miles. i know the manuel says at 30,000 miles change spark plugs and etc. but i dont know.. and in the morning when i start the car and engine is going on a cold day while the car warming up and the idle needle going down engine feels a little shaky too besides when idle is at 500 or 600.
The 3.5L has platinum spark plugs and it doesn't require a change until 100K miles so that's not the problem. I too get it but only when the engine gets hot from a lot of stop and go driving.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerS.X.T View Post
The 3.5L has platinum spark plugs and it doesn't require a change until 100K miles so that's not the problem. I too get it but only when the engine gets hot from a lot of stop and go driving.
This is no real problem, but is really annoying. Buy some gumout or seafoam the kind that cleans the intake valves. this engine has a problem with keeping them clean. what is going on is carbon build up on the valves ,cause them to not seat properly when closed(thus the shakes i.e. idle problem)I bought my car new and it has done it time to time. Usually does not throw a code, but when it does I think it's PO300. Time to time add some fuel system cleaning for valves product of your choosing to a tank of 89 oct with the least amount of alcohol in it. the fuel with the high amount of meth alcohol is the lead culprit. Also floor it sometimes good way to get rid of soot and have fun.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM

I had the same problem, occasionally my car would shake and seem like it was about to turn off. When I got the predator my problem went away.
I would suggest the predator for anyone, especially you Vito, you are like the most active person on the site but according to your sig, you dont have a predator. It will deepen your exhaust tone too.
20% tint, Nightshaded L.E.D. Taillights, Flowmaster Super 44 dual exhaust, Low beam/Fogs 8000k, Red interior L.E.D.s, Debadged/Demolded, Charger script emblem, Charger script qp stripes, GTS Headlight Covers, Airaid C.A.I. 20" TSW Vortex with 245/45 Goodyear RSAs, Predator 93 tune, Painted interior parts, Red/white L.E.D. halos, Rear air diffuser, Slotted Rotors w/MGP caliper covers, JBA Headers, 71mm ported throttle body, Mopar hood struts, Killerglass radiator hose, Ksport Lowering Springs w/eibach pro-dampers, BT Catch Can, BT Underhood dress up kit, Grip Front end, Trufiber Challenger hood, Danko vented fenders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.