My Custom Projector Fogs with LED Halos - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:34 PM

My Custom Projector Fogs with LED Halos

Bit of a sneak peek at my latest project, not on the car yet but should be tomorrow.

I already had OEM fogs when I bought the car, I put some AAC CCFL halos in them, and they were o.k. But the lenses were in bad shape and they just looked "grotty", and I wanted better. I think there is a vendor either here or on lxforums that makes a projector fog, but not with Halos.

I did not want to simply replace these with another set of OEMs, so I started looking around for alternatives. Using my mad E-Bay skillz, I found some projector fogs with an LED halo in Australia that looked like they would fit the fascia.

When I received them, I found the LED Halo was pretty weak, and I wanted them to match my new AAC LED headlight Halos as closely as possible.

So back to E-Bay, found a vendor in Hong Kong selling LED rings like AAC's, in many sizes. Ordered a couple, found the 100mm ring fit pretty good. Added the mounts from my OEM fogs, and with some mods to the brackets on the new fogs (hammer and vice), paint (they were chrome), and some wiring plus some connectors, I think I ended up with a pretty seweet looking set of fogs.

Here's some pics

I had a few probs, mostly with the premature failure of the LED halos. Seems these don't like to be painted whereas the AAC halos can be.

We'll see how long they last. I was going to do a write-up but there are so many steps it would be an illustrated novel. I can tell you where I got the stuff and give you some tips if you want to try it. But they are a lot of work, and you need patience, as well as some basic mechanical/electrical knowledge.

Cost? Well IDK exactly, probably a bit more than a new set of OEM, maybe in the $150 range or so. And you do need to cannabalize your original OEM fogs for the fascia mounts.

But you have to really want to do this, or you will get mad and throw them against a wall or something - they can be frustrating...

I'll post some pics when I get them on the car - hoping mon/tues depends on weather. I work in the driveway...
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to toxico Send a message via AIM to toxico Send a message via MSN to toxico Send a message via Yahoo to toxico
It so happens that I have my old fogs in my garage, since I recently replaced both housings.

Humbly requesting more info, my good Sir. Very nice work.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 PM

I'll post some links to the sources of the components at least, when I put up some pics on the car.

Some of the tweaks are hard to describe, like when I had to reshape the mounting brackets so the OEM mounts would fit. Need to flatten them out with a hammer and vice, rebend them so they make the correct width, retap the threads and repaint them
Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 PM

Nice mod my friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 09:14 PM

ok here's a few links to some components

first are the fogs themselves

http://cgi.ebay.ca/H7-12V-LED-HALO-R...3286.m20.l1116

you'll ditch the plastic ring cover and single LED in the outer housing, and install the ring instead. It does leave the LED's exposed to the elements, we'll see how long they last

Next are the LED rings. They are sold in pairs, get at least 2 pairs in case you have failures. Only $10 for a pair

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2x-10...d=p3911.c0.m14

You will have to upgrade the wires, the supplied LED wires are just too flimsy

Then some connectors from autolumination.com to convert the H7 bulb on the new fogs to the factory H10 connector. look in the headlights section for a H10 male connector
Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 AM

Very nice man! Thanks for the info.

The best dress up accessories @ BILLET TECHNOLOGY!
IF YOU'RE NOT ROCKING BT...YOU'RE JUST NOT ROCKIN
www.custombilletstore.com
Old 09-14-2009, 07:01 AM

Good Igenuity!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Great job, I'm anxious to see the completed work!!

Last edited by kalemm; 09-14-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalemm View Post
Great job, I'm anxious to see the completed work!!
Same here!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 09-14-2009, 01:21 PM

This thread made it to JALOPNIK!!!!

http://jalopnik.com/5358952/how-to-g...halos/gallery/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.