Charger Forums banner

I screwed up, didn't I?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Manicmechanic 
#1 ·
I recently blacked out the trunk. It took my cousin and I around 2 hours to complete, with cleaning the surface and squeegeeing the crap out of it to get -most- of the air bubbles out (there are still a few small ones here and there).

That being said, I had to put my R/T emblem back on. I got some 3M Emblem Adhesive and applied it to the back of the emblem. I think I put a bit too much on the R and since the adhesive dried way too fast, there's now a splotch of goo around the R and a bit around the /. I know that if I try to pick it away, it'll just pull the vinyl off with it. I'm guessing there's no way to fix this... is there? :confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunately no. If you try my bet is it'll ruin the vinyl and you'll have to reapply a new vinyl to your trunk.

Sorry man that sucks :(

#3 ·
Yep, fubar. Next time use the 3M double sided molding tape. It's what the factory used on the emblems originally. Clean the old stuff off the emblem and apply the tape, trim the edges and peel the backing off and stick on the car.

#5 ·
time for a do-over

#7 ·
That's definitely not what I wanted to hear. I just ordered some of 3M's automotive double backing tape. I wish I knew about that beforehand. Looks like I'm going to have to buy another vinyl trunk black out and redo the entire thing. :(

#8 ·
It's Called learning, happens every once in a while so don't sweat it.

#9 ·
If your going to redo it anyways you shouldn't care if you ruin it. Try using a cotton swab and some GooGone and see if it takes it away. Don't apply directly to the vinyl because it could melt it. But you can do small amounts with a cotton swab.

Also, why not spray it with PD? It should be just as easy as with vinyl but its $8.

#10 ·
^^ I was gonna suggest a spray too, but more of a gun app than a can. I used SEM's Landau Top spray to lay down a vinyl look decal on my RK Sport hood.

#11 ·
I actually have 2 cans of PD. I was told that applying a "graphic" look anywhere with PD wouldn't look right, so I got the vinyl instead to black the trunk out. A guy in my local Mopar club says he thinks he can get the goo around the R off. So I'll wait and see if what he does works.

And Manicmechanic, I was thinking of getting a hood like yours. How much do those go for? Having it fit and painted. Does it latch like the factory hood?

#12 ·
^^ Probably cost you about 1K painted and all and yes it latches like a factory hood. Has an airbox dump that feeds right over the top of the air cleaner intake, with the right CIA kit you can utilize this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.