Charger Forums banner

What kind of CAI should i get?

6K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  KWG 2012SXT 
#1 ·
lookin at getting a Cold air intake to go with my new true dual exhaust thats on its way. what is the best intake to get? im looking at the R2C intake but im still not sure.

#2 ·
r2c? not a very famous brand. Especially that filter design is plain horrible. You will be sucking in dirt along with air.

Some brands for you to consider:

1. AEM Brute Force
2. aFe Stage II ProDry
3. Mopar
4. K&N
5. LMI fender mount

They all perform about the same, except the fender mount ones. The ones with heat-shield are better as well. Get a dry filter if you can since it will a lot easier to clean.

The rest is up to your preference. Purely cosmetic choices.

And of course you can built one yourself. Cost way less

#3 ·
X2!

By itself CAI don't really offer much, it's all about paring mods up together! Grab a tuner and dual exhaust and that'll give you a good base for bigger modifications.

#6 ·
Imo...CAI is a waste of money, the factory air box will flow to 900cfm and with a small piece of pipe you can extend it into the fender where it will actually pull in cold air. Insulate the box with reflectix insulation and now you have something. My best ET's and trap times at the track came with the stock box not a CAI, something to think about

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#8 ·
Reflectix eh? Never would have thought of that. Which version did you use? The single or double reflective? You put it inside or outside? Outside would be most ideal, but it would look cheap. Got any pics of yours?

#12 ·
Good choice! I got the Mopar instead, but seriously considered the AFE, love the look and design of it. :beerchug:

#15 ·
Yea AFE is a good one. That is what I had in my Charger and selling since I no longer have the car. The heat shield and the way it fit was why I went with it. When installing the air sensor use dishwasher soap. It will make the install much easier. I am selling mine.

#17 ·
AFE Magnum FORCE Stage-2 PRO 54-10922 with air temp sensor installed
$210.00 Shipped or best offer

#29 ·
Even so, water wont be able to get up into your filter where it's installed. It wont get through the radiator from water splashing into the grille, and it wont splash up through the hole under the filter because the water would have to first go straight through the bottom grille, then make a 90 degree turn up. Then of course you have your scrape shield covering the entire bottom of the engine bay.

But you said you do live on some dirty roads which this sort of makes sense, but instead I would say just clean your CAI filter more often as opposed to buying a pre filter that you would have to clean more often anyway along with cleaning your CAI filter. It doesn't really stop the problem from the way I see it, it's just another filter to clean.

#32 ·
If I decide to upgrade my throttle body to a 71mm what will that do performance wise and will I have to get a different connector between the throttle body and CAI

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
It's a direct bolt on, 71mm is just a ported stock throttle body.

As for performance, I honestly am not sure. I've seen both sides of the argument whether or not it works. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this will chime in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.