Charger Forums banner

Odd noise at idle and after engine shut off...

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  4FishLimit 
#1 ·
ok guys this one stumps me...I have a very high pitched noise coming from the engine bay at idle and when the engine is cut off..when I cut it off you can hear it directly from the engine bay then after a minute or so it fades away...I can not for the life of me think what it is..can anyone help?

#2 ·
Does it sound like its coming from an idler or tensioner pulley? Does it go away when you rev the engine?

#3 ·
It could be a high pressure leak that is whistling. When you shut off the engine, the pressure has to leak down and whistle away until equalized.....which then would make it stop.

Good luck!

Brian

#4 ·
where could the high pressure be coming from? im at a loss..I know its not a pulley or anything because it doesnt speed up or go away when uping the RPMs

#5 ·
Most pulley or belt noises wont go away with rpm increase. Some will be louder while others might make a different pitch. Im not sure what kind of high pressure would encounter. Might be a vacuum leak.

#6 ·
hmm ima have to take a closer looks see if any vacuum lines are loose only reason i dont think its a belt or pulley is because it keeps going after the engine is cut-off. thats why pressure release sounds more like it..

#8 ·
a/c hasnt been on for awhile mainly heat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.