175K views 165 replies 51 participants last post by  Thatboyle 
#1 · (Edited)
The Ultimate V6 Performance Thread

Special thanks to:
Ron380 - Handling
Biged83 - 2.7L Performance parts
06-3.5L DCharger - Gear Ratio/Swap Information
Samoan Tsunami - Sway Bar Reference

After seeing a lot of threads started on V6 performance, I’ve decided to make a comprehensive resource going over all the known performance upgrades. I’ll try to go into a little bit of detail about the parts and where to find them. They will be arranged in tiers regarding performance, assuming that the stock engine dyno’s around 175 RWHP. Because I don’t like to make up imaginary numbers, every horsepower number depicted in this thread will have an acceptable error of ±100 RWHP. This section will be based mainly on the 3.5l V6.

Tier 1: 175-190 RWHP and Ft/Lbs Torque

Cold Air Intake:
It’s been noted that Intakes are generally all the same and that the performance gains will be about the same as well. Some of the higher end models will come with a compartment that seals the intake from the rest of the engine which does a moderate job of keeping the heat from the engine bay out.
Examples:

AEM Brute Force
AFE Stage 2
Big Bully Intake
K&N Aircharger
Mopar Performance 3.5l Intake
LMI Fender Mounted True CAI

Electronic Tuner:
After looking into Jet chips and Superchips, It seems that the Predator is the only one that is vehicle specific to the Charger.
Examples:

Diablosport Predator

Exhaust:
The majority of gains are through the use of catback exhausts, therefore full exhaust kits will be the only ones covered here. Many owners have swapped their V6 exhaust for a stock R/T exhaust. This is generally the cheapest route to go exhaust-wise. The SRT8 Exhaust does not generate enough backpressure and, as a result, is not the best exhaust performance-wise.
Examples:

RT Exhaust
Daytona R/T Exhaust
Borla Catback (single and dual)
Dynomax (single and dual
Magnaflow Catback (single and dual)
Gibson single rear catback exhaust (single)
Pypes StreetPro, RacePro, Violator catback exhausts
Zoomers (single and dual)

Also, Do not forget the Proper Fluids
Examples:
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Lubricants and ACES IV Fuel catalyst from BND Automotive.

Tier 2: 190-250 RWHP and Ft/Lbs Torque

Ported Throttle Body:
The next step to help the vehicle breath after the Intake. With the right tools it’s possible to port your own. Just follow this link - http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100772
Examples:
Modern Muscle 71mm CNC ported throttle body. (SpeedLogix)
Aecarbon Ported Throttle Body

Ported Lower Intake Manifold:
The third step to help the vehicle breath. Replaces the stock manifold.
Examples:
Aecarbon 3.5l Ported Intake manifold

Jet Hot Coated Valve Covers:
Reduces surface temperature of valve covers and plenum temperature.
Examples:
Aecarbon 3.5l Jet Hot Coated Valve Covers

Exhaust Headers
Helps free up the exhaust system
Examples:
Stainless works Long tube headers
JBA Shorty Headers
OBX Shorty Headers

Camshafts:
Currently only produced by Inertia Motorsports
Examples:
Intertia Motorsports Version 1.0
Version 1.1
Version 1.2

Cylinder Heads:
Also only produced by Intertia Motorsports
Examples:
Intertia Motorsports 3.5L HO V6 Performance Heads
3.5l HO V6 Premium Big Valve Heads

Tier 3: 250 - ???

Supercharger:
Modern Muscle Supercharger http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99417
Whiplash Supercharger

Turbocharger:
STS turbo
North Coast turbo Systems (Still in development at time of writing, needs test vehicles)
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=192196

Stroker Motor:
Inertia Motorsports 4.0 Stroker
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=193335&highlight=3.5l+stroker

The Ultimate 2.7 V6 Performance Thread - Written by Biged83
The parts will be arranged in tiers regarding performance, assuming that the stock engine dyno’s around 135 RWHP. Because I don’t like to make up imaginary numbers, every horsepower number depicted in this thread will have an acceptable error of ±100 RWHP. This section will be based mainly on the 2.7L V6.

Tier 1: 135-145 RWHP and Ft/Lbs Torque

Cold Air Intake :
It’s been noted that Intakes are generally all the same and that the performance gains will be about the same as well. Some of the higher end models will come with a compartment that seals the intake from the rest of the engine which does a moderate job of keeping the heat from the engine bay out.
Examples:

LMI Carbon Fiber Intake
K&N Intake
Ebay Ram Air Intake
Ebay Cold Air Intake

Exhaust:
The majority of gains are through the use of catback exhausts, therefore full exhaust kits will be the only ones covered here. Many owners have swapped their V6 exhaust for a stock R/T exhaust. This is generally the cheapest route to go exhaust-wise. The SRT8 Exhaust does not generate enough backpressure and, as a result, is not the best exhaust performance-wise.
Examples:

RT Exhaust
Daytona R/T Exhaust
Borla Catback (single and dual)
Dynomax (single and dual
Magnaflow Catback (single and dual)
Gibson single rear catback exhaust (single)
Pypes StreetPro, RacePro, Violator catback exhausts
Zoomers (single and dual)

Also, Do not forget the proper fluids
Examples:
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Lubricants and ACES IV Fuel catalyst from BND Automotive.
Royal Purple Oil

Tier 2: 145-180 RWHP and Ft/Lbs Torque

Ported Throttle Body:
The next step to help the vehicle breath after the Intake. With the right tools it’s possible to port your own. Just follow this link - http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=100772
Examples:

Modern Muscle 71mm CNC ported throttle body. (SpeedLogix)
Aecarbon Ported Throttle Body

Custom Tuned PCM:
Our only option for a PCM tune as of right now is a B&G tuned PCM.
2005-2011 2.7L V-6 “300/Charger/Magnum” Premium fuel & (MBT) timing curves, 7000 rev limit, cooler fan on temp, 140 mph limit, modified torque management

Tier 3
: 180 - ???

Supercharger:
Modern Muscle Supercharger http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=99417
KNIGHT TURBOS

Turbocharger:
STS turbo
Custom Turbo setup

Handling:
Suspension upgrades are a must have for total performance.
For everything you ever needed to know regarding Suspension, Wheels, and Tires for your charger:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60521

Sway Bar:
There are many aftermarket, and stock sway bar setups offered for the charger. The following link provides detailed information on the stock sway bar sizes:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91222

Driveline:

Torque Converter:
To my knowledge there is only one produced by Intertia Motorsports and it is only for the 5 speed NAG1 Transmission.
Examples:
Inertia Motorsports 3.5l EDGE High Stall Torque Converter

NAG1 5 speed Flex Plate
This flex plate is lighter and stronger than stock, allowing the engine to rev faster.
Examples:
SpeedLogix Flex Plate

Limited Slip Differential Upgrade:
It is possible to upgrade from the stock differential to any HEMI LSD kit on a NAG1 5 Speed car. This will also require swapping hubs and axles.
The link below documents a successful swap to a Challenger LSD.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127029

Rear Gear Swaps:
Currently, this is only an option with the NAG1 5 Speed transmissions and HEMI differential Swap
The Available Ratios are:

I've been told it's possible to change the 4 speed rear gear between the 3.06 in the 3.5l and the 3.73 in the 2.7l without putting the car into limp mode. To my knowledge this is the only gear change possible on the 4-speed at this time.

See less See more
#3 ·
I know this has been tried before but I'm making an effort to get all the information in a concise form which can be easily found. Might be a good idea to send all the future "Best Intake" threads over here.

Would anybody be interested in me adding more info on the 2.7l engine and on increasing the handling of a charger? Currently the list is focused on go fast in a straight line parts.

Please let me know if I missed anything and It will be added to the list!

#166 ·
I know this has been tried before but I'm making an effort to get all the information in a concise form which can be easily found. Might be a good idea to send all the future "Best Intake" threads over here.

Would anybody be interested in me adding more info on the 2.7l engine and on increasing the handling of a charger? Currently the list is focused on go fast in a straight line parts.

Please let me know if I missed anything and It will be added to the list!
Yes more about 2.7l V6

#7 ·
#9 ·
I like this alot and completely agree that you can't disregard handling when discussing performance. This was especially evident after driving the formula SAE car here at Louisville (capable of 1.5g turns).

The purpose of my thread is not to tell you that installing a new camshaft will generate you more power, it's the idea that there are now v6 camshafts, what they're called, and where to find them. Same with the other aforementioned parts.

Ron, Do you mind If I link to your suspension and road course threads? :beerchug:

#8 ·
This will be a pretty awesome thread and honestly should probably be a sticky!

#10 ·
Please do! I did the same thing with those two threads that you are doing here! :bigthumb:

#15 · (Edited)
:D :alfdance:

Thanks Brad for this thread, I really hope this thread will be an ongoing project like mnunes' "How do I everything" thread, which he continues to maintain and continues to add information. Especially in today's forums where almost 90% of the talk in threads isn't really relevant, or the information is spread out everywhere in different threads. Good to know there will be a main performance thread you can revise and perfect in the course of time.
You mean it's not already perfect?? :biggrinjester:
J/k
I'll do my best to keep it accurate and up to date. :beerchug:

Do you guys think we needs links? I'd hate to do links to things like exhaust and intakes that can be bought from multiple companies but perhaps the more unique parts I could put links to.

#13 · (Edited)
When will aftermarket companies start making more V6 bolts-ons? I have a 00 Honda Civic Si and there are a lot more options for the 4 banger than the 6 shooter. Hopefully we will soon see MSD, under-drive pulley, High-flow fuel rail/ filters.Well only the future will tell until then I'll keep on modding.

#14 ·
Thanks Brad for this thread, I really hope this thread will be an ongoing project like mnunes' "How do I everything" thread, which he continues to maintain and continues to add information. Especially in today's forums where almost 90% of the talk in threads isn't really relevant, or the information is spread out everywhere in different threads. Good to know there will be a main performance thread you can revise and perfect in the course of time.

#91 ·
Add dyno tuning. It's a bit pricey, but there's a lot of potential doing that since they can squeeze a lot of power out our engines. Once that's done, sending out your tunes to someone that can tune your car through the email. I'm currently doing that with someone from LX Forums.

I have consulted local shops. Majority of the domestic shops that have the knowledge and have done it, will only work on classic cars or want a ridiculous amount of money for the job. I approached Agile Auto, famous for what they do to Subaru's, but he said he refuses to work on domestics. (rolls eyes, great way to boost economy by refusing to work on domestics that use majority USA made parts )
If you go to STS website, the prices for the universal kits are on there. The single is about $1000 cheaper. And since there isnt a broad market for upgraded engine internals (especially cam, crank, rods, and pistons) I, personally, am going to stay away from the twin turbo just because of the amount of heat and compression it creates. In speaking with STS, they told me that they are still working on a kit specific for the 3.5, but the universal is the way to go. Also giving me the people who do the programming for the diablosport to help me set up mine without having to buy another already programmed for the turbo. Great guys at STS! (Check out the Dsport issue on turbos, single vs. twin)
I've talked to Stu at interia. Forged pistons for the 3.5 would cost about $750 (appox). I've also gone on Ebay and looked the turbo kits there and from what I've read in Car Craft is they're good kits. They did a whole write up on it. Good price and a buddy of mine has installed one on his 98 Camaro (single) runs great numbers. I'm starting to look a little more into it.

In reference to the Prowler, it had a 3.5 v6 to power it and 214hp. Take into account the 370z, 332hp and 270ft/lb torque from a 3.7 v6. Where is that in American cars?
Camaro? Mustang? Charger? Challenger? Which stock American v6 could keep up with a 370z? None, they all would get dusted. Thats my point. They need to get some new blood in the big 3. Ford has shown some good stuff though. Chevy is trying. Dodge is starting to dissapoint me. Which sucks. But do not doubt me. I love my car. Everything about it except the damn check engine light (code p1004, short runner valve performance, and my dealership I bought my car from closed and the dealership I am now going to, per a letter from chrysler is a pain) and the weight. Its a heavy car. But the scary part is that my buddys GTI is almost the same weight!
I agree with you on this statement. We brag about American Muscle and when I tell people that I'm getting approx 220 to the wheels, they say that's pretty good for a V6. My response is, "Not compared to the 350Zs". A buddy of mine drives a BMW M3 with the 3.2L and he gets 290 at the wheels. It sucks, but you know, I justify it with "It's foreign." :rolleyes: I'm ok with that because, well, I love my car and what I'm doing right now is a lot of fun.:D

#17 ·
Well I see suspension was added, which i agree helps. You could add thing that add to aerodynamics/ down-force. Maybe even weight reduction? List looks good. I really want more performance parts for or 3.5. I have a 00 Civic Si that has way more mods available for it which i have most of the N/A bolt-ons. sad thing is my SI is probably faster than my Charger. Vendors if you are out the we need under-drive/ overdrive pulleys/ high flow fuel rails, bigger injectors, MSD for the V6, ect...

#18 ·
It's tough to compare our current level of mods to something like the Civic, because that's been out sooo much longer and has so much more support from pro-racing. I seriously doubt we'll ever see Dodge cars as competetive in autocross or any of the pro-racing series' run by SCCA and NASA. I do know there will be one or two Challengers in World Challenge and possibly American Iron series this year, though. (Along with several new Mustangs and new Camaro's...)

#19 · (Edited)
The American Iron series looks like it'd be a fun time. I was looking to see if I could budget to build a car that would be semi competitive in there. Probably won't happen though.

Aerodynamics and Weight reduction are kind of a difficult topic to address simply because they are so broad. Also, aero upgrades won't be v6 specific. I could go into weight reduction a little bit but it may be better for someone with some real knowledge on the subject to start a new thread about it.

My knowledge ends at taking out the floor mats, spare tire, seats, center console, and trunk insulation. Probably around 120 pounds when all is said and done.

As far as your civic si being faster than your charger... that's because it is. The stock civic si very comparable to the 0-60 times in a lightly modded charger. Plus, It's much lighter and smaller.

As far as having more mods available for the 3.5... The market just isn't there. I tried to organize the thread based on the current market. If you'll notice, there's alot of interest in the Tier 1 mods (many parts), a medium amount of interest in the Tier 2 mods, and a small amount of interest in the Tier 3 mods. If we can get people interested in purchasing v6 performance parts then manufacturers will start making v6 performance parts.

#20 ·
Heeeyyy... I just noticed something...

THIS HAS BEEN "STICKYFIED"!!! :banana: :clap: :bigthumb: :rocker:

#21 · (Edited)
Fantastic! I'm glad, because this will help a lot of the new cats joining the Mopar crew, and hopefully answer the many questions that have been repeated since 05, I'm surprised this hasn't been made before props to Brad SXT for taking the time to put this together!

:beerchug:

Also, just an idea how about making specific brands like K&N or Bob's Muffler and add links? It would make it easy for the new members to locate a particular product.

#24 ·
Looks like somebody at the "z" forums really liked my post...

http://www.chargerforum.com/showthread.php?t=95945

at least they're kind enough to mention they copied it :biggrinjester:

I guess we're not allowed to link to them?

just put a z at the end of chargerforum and before .com

#29 ·
You are putting a lot of mods up that increase power and speed, but don't forget you also have to be able to stop the car. Should put in a section for braking.

And regarding the Z forums copy and paste, they are good at that, and actually have people who creat accounts on other forums just to scavenge info. I had a Caliber at one time, and it was the same way on the Caliber forums "S" and "Z". I was actually a mod for about three weeks on the caliber "z" forum until I was banned without warning for posting TSB info on the Caliber "s" forum as well as the "z" forum.

#30 ·
Haha alright I'll keep that in mind.

As far as adding brakes...

Well, the original thought was to only post up v6 "specific" parts. This is easy for power adders. It's alot harder to draw the line for suspension and brakes since it's so subjective.

Basically either the suspension and brake sections will be really small and just contain the absolute best components of each group, or be really huge and contain every option.

So what do you guys think? Should I add sections on brakes and suspension even though the thread will no longer be "v6" specific? Or should I focus instead on adding a 2.7l power adder section?

#31 ·
Well, so far your sections are pretty generic as it is for "performance" bolts ons grouping all CAI together and mentioning a few names, and so on. And technically the V6 brakes are V6 specific. Don't the R/Ts get bigger brakes and the SRTs the Brembos?? Maybe listing a few of the options for performance slotted rotors, brake upgrade kits, such as bolting on the larger R/T brakes, much like you have the R/T exhaust listed as an upgrade. You get my drift?

#33 ·
So I am patiently waiting to hear if anyone has used the STS rear mounted turbo or twin turbo? I have contacted STS and asked a lot of questions. They have phenomial (potential) customer support and answer any questions.

#34 ·
is there a rear mounted twin turbo for the 3.5l V6? Do you have any more information on this part? I'm under the impression that such a thing does not exist.

Also, Brakes and suspension are still being worked on. I may just post links to other threads detailing the subjects

#35 ·
There is no specific twin turbo rear mounted system for a charger that i am aware of. i was referring to the STS twin turbo, rear mounted universal system.

#37 ·
I have consulted local shops. Majority of the domestic shops that have the knowledge and have done it, will only work on classic cars or want a ridiculous amount of money for the job. I approached Agile Auto, famous for what they do to Subaru's, but he said he refuses to work on domestics. (rolls eyes, great way to boost economy by refusing to work on domestics that use majority USA made parts )
If you go to STS website, the prices for the universal kits are on there. The single is about $1000 cheaper. And since there isnt a broad market for upgraded engine internals (especially cam, crank, rods, and pistons) I, personally, am going to stay away from the twin turbo just because of the amount of heat and compression it creates. In speaking with STS, they told me that they are still working on a kit specific for the 3.5, but the universal is the way to go. Also giving me the people who do the programming for the diablosport to help me set up mine without having to buy another already programmed for the turbo. Great guys at STS! (Check out the Dsport issue on turbos, single vs. twin)
In terms of brakes, I have "upgraded" my set up. Just replaced the brake lines to stainless steel braided and upgraded the rotors to Powerslot slotted rotors. I am using EBC brake pads, and they are great. No squeeking like some performance pads have due to their hardness and LOW brake dust.
Suspension wise, I am looking at Eibach. Being that they are such a well known, and trusted brand, can't beat it and their prices are good. Eibach offers a "pro" system that comes with lowering springs (1.4 front drop, and 1.7 rear so your sitting level), front and rear sways, and new dampers that work with the lowering spring. All this plus bushing for around $800-900 depending on where you look.

#38 ·
The guys at STS sound like some real stand up people. I'd actually really like to see a turbo kit for the V6 charger, I feel like they could get some pretty solid gains.

Seems like your car is set up for FI with the suspension and brake modifications. Thanks for the input :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.