Charger Forums banner

Charger R/T vs Subaru WRX

39K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Checkered24 
#1 ·
People!
So I test drove the charger R/T at it seemed like a tank! (not in a bad way) but it felt so heavy. I didn't take it to small roads, just on a small highway at my WRX feels so nible compared to the muscle car. Have any of you switched from a WRX? share you thoughts what you do and don't like?

#2 ·
If i were in the market for an AWD monster of a car... it'd be the WRX. I think it'd be a tough switch... but Charger owners like the fact the car is heavy, wide, and long. It's just an acquired taste, it's not easy to grow accustomed to, I've been brought up in the family just with big RWD sedans or SUVs so I love big cars.

#3 · (Edited)
I went to the charger RT from a G8. And the Charger felt like a floppy fish in comparison. It took 3-4 weeks to get used to. The charger still handles well for it's size but it's not like my G8. If you have a Newer or older 13 second WRX it would be hard to convince me to get a charger. I have 3 kids so I need the charger for it's size. If I had the G8 GT instead of my V6 I would have kept my G8 without debate.

I should add I love the charger overall. I just miss the road handling. The new tech stuff is Awesome. Just doesn't have the same driving dynamics. I guess the G8 was smaller too. The Charger felt allot bigger. I love the HEMI And V8. So overall I lik it better than my V6 g8

#4 ·
I know it's off topic but i beat a EVO with my V6 charger:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#5 ·
The Charger and the WRX are two TOTALLY different cars. The Charger is a big car, hands down. Similar to how an S-class or 7 series is a big car, not 1970s Cadillac big. Nonetheless, it handles very well considering it's size. I've never driven a WRX so I can't compare, but I wouldn't be afraid to put the Charger through it's paces on a smaller road. Base models might be a bit boaty, but R/Ts are pretty tight. Especially if you have the 20" wheels and Track package.

#6 ·
@ Ig68jcu - i remember you from G8board. I too got a Charger (12 RT Road & Track) after my G8 GT was stolen. I love my Charger, but I LOVED my G8. The charger handles well, but the Charger just isnt as well sorted in terms of handling. It just feels bigger on road, although the interior size between the too is pretty much the same. Just took some time to get used to.

Sorry to highjack the thread.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#7 ·
I’ve owned a 5 speed 02 WRX...wow just fun, but there not in the same class. i loved my WRX it just wasn’t practical. Yes it was four doors but the back seats were a joke, not very comfy nether.
than we had kids, not easy...car seats in a WRX? yikes they barely fit. That’s why we got a charger we love it, step on the gas and that hemi wakes up! The comfort and space is great.
I do miss the WRX....

#8 ·
Get a 2009+, those wrx' are tasty. In the twisties, the wrx wins, flat out... That's a different story.

#9 · (Edited)
Switched from a 2011 STI and never looked back. My charger with intake and exhaust feels close to as fast as my STI was (stage 1+intake) and it feels soooo much more mature and confortable. I love the gadgets and Subaru has the worst stereos ever.

Yes I miss the handling for sure, but I have one toddler with another on the way and I like having space and looking my age :)

#11 ·
I was trying to decide between the Charger and WRX a little while ago and it was a hard decision. In the end I went with the Charger and I wouldn't turn back. Its just a comfortable car. It has tons of bells and whistles, it feels great, looks mean. And as said before, if you have kids or you want to take any passenger around, they will love you just to have the extra space. All in all, the WRX will be fun to drive, but the Charger is also fun to drive. Two different animals, but both have their ups and downs.

#12 ·
As you know I am going to switch from a 2005 Legacy GT Limited that at one point was pushing 325 AWHP and running 12's in the 1/4. The problem is that the subarus just can't handle it and everything keeps breaking.

Stock the subarus are fast, sort of. You see 0-60 in 4.8 for the WRX but the problem is you need to rev it up and dump the clutch so hard to get those times that you will blow the thing up in 20k miles. Subaru KNOWS everyone mods their cars and they deny any claims they can even when the car is stock. Yes STOCK and they blame an exhaust leak on "performance driving" and don't cover it.

At least that is my and some buddies' experience with the brand. I dropped 3 transmissions and 3 turbos all due to failure in 88k miles. Its just not worth the upkeep to these things.

I am ordering a 2013 Charger R/T Road and Track with the Super Track Pack this week. I don't expect it to handle quite as well as the subbie with the aftermarket sways I have, but I bet it is close. Everything I read about the R&T with STP is that it totally transforms the car from floaty to a road hugger.

I know the charger will never be quite as fast as my legacy was, but the power curve is just so much more usable. The turbo lag I had with subaru with an upgraded turbo just sucked until you were going then it was a bullet.

Just different styles. I bet the R&T with STP will be about 5.0 0-60 and 13.5 1/4 stock. Add intake, exhaust and a canned tune and it should be pretty close to the subbie and have no warranty issues.

#14 ·
I would get the Charger. If you're worried about the car "feeling" heavy swap the gears for your first mod if you're going to mod it. ( best mod I think) I have 3.91 gears and my tank feels light as a feather. I've only been beat by one subbie and it was heavily modded. It was cold out and from a dig so I couldn't hook up . I drug him down the street on a roll though. I've had 3 Chargers now and can't hardly believe how much the gearig changes these cars. Mopar Or No Car.. B)

#15 ·
3.91's are a pure performance gear though. Of course that will make this car jump! But it will seriously raise the RPM at highway speeds and decrease the MPG by probably 10-15% easy.

I am going with the factory 3.06 option since it is in the middle of the 2.65 and the 3.91 that Oilfield is talking about. Should be a mild boost to performance while only killing MPG a little. Gears on cars with low end grunt are always the best bang for the buck for pure racing (Camaro, Mustang, etc) but it hurts the wallet on gas.

Mods like intake, exhaust, programming all actually enhance MPG but the gains in pure track times aren't even close to what gears will give you.

Its all a trade off. I am going with the road and track and then will eventually add a mopar intake, exhaust, and tune and call it a day. The Super Track Pack should be all the handling mods I would have done anyway and they will be factory as well. I am tired of things happening and not being covered when the mods had nothing to do with it.

The Subbie was my first turbo import, and it was fun but super frustrating too. Lots of power to be made there but too much of a headache. Im going back to big bad american muscle.

#16 ·
My Buddy has 2006 Charger RT geared at 2.82. I had that same year for my first Charger and It's crazy how bad I crush him from a dig and pull just as hard on him from a roll. He's swaping his gears for 3.55 in a week or so it's like 600 bucks for the ring and pinion I think. I can't wait to see how much snappier his car is after. The fuel Miles do go up some but it's not to bad. But that's my best advice on making the car feel lighter. We plan on doing some before and after vids to see how much he hangs on against my M-11 after the swap. I'm curious to see his fuel increase as rpm's also. well we'll take lots of notes hopefully it will be helpful info to someone looking to swap.

#18 ·
Amazing - several people telling the truth about the Charger's weak handling yet none of the usual suspects is blasting them

hmmm

#21 ·
No, it's not a WRX STi, but the Charger handles better than many give it credit for. Check out page 25 in the February issue of Car and Driver. In the latest Lightning Lap, the Charger had faster lap times than the Caprice and the Subaru BRZ. Keep in mind this was the pursuit package so it was running on 18 inch rubber, most likely Firestone.

GTO_04

#22 ·
I used to have a 2007 WRX, and even drove a 2013 before settling on my Charger!

They are just two totally different cars, each with it's own benefits. I personally think the Charger is the overall better car (all things considered), but thats not a knock on the WRX either.

They drive very different. The WRX is very nimble on the road, a combination of it's AWD setup, smaller size, and very quick steering. It is a like a go-cart on wheels and extremely entertaining.

A car the size and weight of the Charger is not going to compare the same. This much car just won't feel that nimble. That said, the handles very well in it's own right. (Honestly, it handles amazingly considering how well it cruises, and how big it is, easily outhandling some other expensive and good handling cars I tested such as a Mercedes C300 with sport package, and Volvo S60).

I needed the size, so the Charger was a no brainer. Beyond that, IMO, the Charger is made with much higher grade materials, is far smoother and quieter in daily use, has better/more available features, is more comfortable, and has a sporty demeanor to it's drive (if not a race car feel like the WRX).

I loved my WRX, and find the current one a lot of fun! I suppose individual taste and priority will dictate cross shopping these two due to their numerous and vast differences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.