Charger Forums banner

Another Twin Turbo option for the 5.7 & 6.1

13K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  BAD MAN 485 
#1 · (Edited)
I was at the Mopar Nationals this weekend in Columbus, Ohio and there was a company there called Team Performance Products advertising their twin turbo system for the 5.7 and 6.1 Dodge Charger.

http://www.team-ppi.com/

Has anybody heard of them or know anything about there system? It looks like a very clean and stealth install. You do not have to cut up your exhaust or anything else to install the system (HUGE plus in my book). Not sure if this has been discussed before or not......

Discussion on lxforums: http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=126351

#4 ·
Do you know what kind of gains it expects to put out?

#10 · (Edited)
This is what the brochure says that I picked up at the Mopar Nats......

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

600 HORSEPOWER / 650 FT LBS. OF TORQUE AT THE REAR WHEELS @ 8 PSI BOOST (690 HP/747 FT LBS TORQUE AT THE CRANK) WITH STOCK 6.1 LITER ENGINE

900 HORSEPOWER POTENTIAL WITH FUEL & ENGINE COMPONET UPGRADES

UTILIZES "GARRET GT 2871R" DUAL BALL BEARING TURBO'S WITH INTEGRAL WASTEGATES

HIGH FLOW FRONT MOUNT AIR TO AIR ALUMINUM INTERCOOLER

LOW MOUNT "STELTH DESIGN"

ALL STAINLESS STEEL, ALUMINUM AND CARBON FIBER CONSTRUCTION

DESIGNED FOR EASE OF INSTALLATION WITHOUT THE NEED FOR SPECIAL AUTOMOTIVE KNOWLEDGE OR TOOLS.

NO CUTTING OR WELDING REQUIRED

NO ENGINE COMPARTMENT, ACCESSORY OR VEHICLE ALTERATIONS

TUNER KITS AVAILABLE

Some folks that live near them in California are gonna stop by and get some more information:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=126351

#6 · (Edited)
They achieved 440 HORSEPOWER / 465 FT LBS. OF TORQUE on a 4.6 liter Mustang GT.

The better part is the compressors... UTILIZES "GARRET GT 2871R" DUAL BALL BEARING TURBO'S WITH INTEGRAL WASTEGATES

Lots of import guys (that know what they are doing... and have the cash) use these. they are a bit smaller than say a GT3037 (Stroker Eclipses and Evos). I think they are comparable to a GT25-R or GT28, which are the holy grail of the STi tuners. Good for about 400 hp BY THEM SELVES AND ON THEIR OWN and man... you'll hit full boost by 2000 RPM in a HEMI!

I would choose this setup over a boring T3/T4 single turbo setup any day.

Looks like a really well made well thought out kit on paper. Book marking their page.

#8 ·
They achieved 40 HORSEPOWER / 465 FT LBS. OF TORQUE on a 4.6 liter Mustang GT.

The better part is the compressors... UTILIZES "GARRET GT 2871R" DUAL BALL BEARING TURBO'S WITH INTEGRAL WASTEGATES

Lots of import guys (that know what they are doing... and have the cash) use these. they are a bit smaller than say a GT3037 (Stroker Eclipses and Evos). I think they are comparable to a GT25-R or GT28, which are the holy grail of the STi tuners. Good for about 400 hp BY THEM SELVES AND ON THEIR OWN and man... you'll hit full boost by 2000 RPM in a HEMI!

I would choose this setup over a boring T3/T4 single turbo setup any day.

Looks like a really well made well thought out kit on paper. Book marking their page.
It does look like a nice setup. The GT28 and cousins are VERY capable turbos. I installed a GT28 on a 1.8L Audi A4 that hit 330hp and 325ft/lbs (on a Mustang 4-wheel dyno...since it was a quattro Audi). That was a couple of years ago and the car is still being tracked today. They are pretty bullet-proof.

Cheers,

#7 ·
I'm subscribing to this thread. Hopefully someone will have some input on price, gains, etc.

#9 ·
We had a dude with a VW something or another (looks like a civic Si hatchback), navy blue, in AZ running a GT28. so thats what I based my comment on. So Im assuming this is an evolved version of that turbo. As you said, very capable.

#12 ·
I Saw it too!

Hello TurboBuckeye missed you at "The Nats".

I talked to the guys at the booth seemed like they were almost there with the product. The had some tuning issues.

Would like to see this adapted to the 3.5L V6.:notallthere::notallthere::coolgleamA:

#15 ·
Hello TurboBuckeye missed you at "The Nats".

I talked to the guys at the booth seemed like they were almost there with the product. The had some tuning issues.

Would like to see this adapted to the 3.5L V6.:notallthere::notallthere::coolgleamA:
In order to adapt this to the 3.5L you'll have to spend some money to adapt the bottom end on the 3.5L first. As delivered, I really don't think it's up to the task of more than 5psi or so. That would be enough to get you near a stock 5.7L (but significantly less torque) so I'd find it hard to justify from a cost perspective when it would be easier and cheaper to just pick up a 5.7L Charger without all the added drama.

Cheers,

#13 ·
Those numbers are plain sick for the money!

#14 · (Edited)
Yeah. This is my setup as long as they have a viable tuning solution.

Why internal wastegates though? Arent they more prone to failure than say an external Tial unit? or does Tial make this turbo's casing?! Also... they are using AEM for tunning? probably the EMS piggyback... That thing and I have a bad history... and worse so with the Greddy E-Manage. I hope this falls through and they switch to say the diablo.

#16 ·
with this kind of boost aren't you going to blow up a stock motor? I would assume the most rwhp to be gained safely whether it be with a supercharger or turbo would be 100hp. I dont really see why it would be any different. The superchargers are more then capable of more hp but because of safety are detuned. Am I correct or is the turbo some how magical?

#47 ·
Wow, Im gone for 2 days and this thread took a sharp left and kept going! lol.

I wouldnt say this v6 business is pure fantasy. amazing things can be had for the right price. But Im very skeptical. especially at 5psi. Im not one to talk, my little 2.0 liter was out running vettes and put down more than an SRT to the wheels... but that was with well over 12k of mods AND pushing 1.5 bar of boost. not 5 psi. However my RSX was doing just over 300 whp with a supercharger at 8 psi... but again, not very cost effective. You might very well have a v6 at RT levels... but at what cost? If the whole setup ends up costing more than an RT... you have a few screws loose.

And even after youve paid the cash and actually done it once or twice on a dyno... I agree with RitzRT... it wont be around for very long. It wont be a good daily driver.

Oh yes! lol. Turbos, especially good ones, are magical! And I would choose a TT turbo setup against the current T3/T4s and especially over a supercharger anyday.

As for our engines limitations... dont know, and dont care. I have a bad history of throwing rods and blowing head gaskets, so as far as Im concerned, our engines arent good enough. I have everything but the 426, and I'll have that by years end. So I'll be up for a good viable and decently tune-able TT setup come next summer.

#18 ·
ok I already knew that so pretty much its the same for a turbo or supercharger as far as HP because the boost levels are the same. Its pretty much you go with what ever kit you like most because they both do the same thing.

#22 ·
I know I was saying not to say that because the v6 guys would get mad.

#33 · (Edited)
And you were right. The penis envy followed swiftly. He's got some serious chip on the old shoulder.

If there are folks that "have done it" then I'm sure they'll be happy to post about their experiences. I've torn several 3.5L's down on the previous LH platform cars and have been building and tuning import turbos since the late 80's on Porche/VW/Audi plants. But hey, what do I know.

If someone wants to know what the 3.5L *can* do on stock internals they can head on over to the forums frequented by the Prowler folks. Lots of blown engines and lots of people with beefed up bottom ends and forced induction. But hey, what do they know...this is the Internet. They could all be blowing smoke and Jimmy Jo Jimbob down the street from our other poster might have all the answers. *shrug*

At the end of the day, if you've got enough dough you can make almost any engine perform well above its original spec. My comments revolve around the fact that it is easier and likely cheaper to start with 350hp in the 5.7L than it is to try to coax that amount of power out of the 3.5L. It's about cost effectiveness and robustness, not about "can it or can it not be done."

Cheers,

#25 ·
the car will blow with 8psi and calling an aftermarket turbo on a stock chrysler v6 motor reliable is just false.

#26 ·
it would only be false if the owners tune was pure crap.

as it stands the 3.5L v6 has a forged bottom end from whats been posted on allpar.com

you seem to know the limits of the cars and engines. would you mind posting up what limits are set on the v6 or v8 engines as far as power goes? :) i know you'd be helping MANY if you can post HP and TQ limits for each engine:bigthumb:

#29 · (Edited)
so is anyone gonna post any actual legit power limits? of either engine?

if someone hasnt done something yet, but people are saying it "can't" be done....

woudlnt that be deemed as fantasy as well?

to say something isnt reliable, you would either need solid proof or experience with said engine....else its just speculation just the same as the positive speculation.

RitzRT or Bad Man..... any experience or proof to back the claims?

i personally like to know for my own general knowledge.

so far it seems the only thing we have to go off of is a 2.7L with a 100rwhp gain by KRC......the 3.5L has less moving parts, less to go wrong, so The Saint's claims might not be that far off, unless anyone else has any legit info or experience, or knowledge of something not working on said vehicle?

#30 ·
your question cannot be answered. That's why no one has answered it. For the most part the 5.7 guys are running vortechs with 5.5psi which is what the company recommends to stay safe I know there are people running more but they are expecting things to explode. You can probably run 15psi on a stock motor but I wouldn't expect it to hold together for very long. I know landshark is running a stock short block with aftermarket heads and cam as well as a vortech he also has a meth injection kit and I'm pretty sure he's over 500rwhp. What I am trying to say is that you can probably push 200hp out of a turbo or supercharger but you WILL blow something up. If you want to have a lot of boost you need a forged short block. The stock v6 motors are certainly not better or stronger then the hemis so thinking you will be able to use more boost is just not gonna happen. It could but wont last long. Now if you would like to test 15psi on your stock block let one of the vendors know I am sure they can accommodate you.

#32 ·
Are anyone of these qutoes from my post I cant tell because there are no names but everything you wrote seems to be what i said.

#34 ·
Hmmm, I think the real question is how fargin sweet that would that sound winding up?

Muche-O Badarse-O I would think.

Anyhow, I personaly cant see putting that on a motor that isnt built to handle it at its peak levels of gain. Just like any other form of FI.

Nope, I have no factual input. Just wow.

#35 ·
coming from a guy who has worked on imports for a long time but is now slowly making the switch to american muscle.

Guys lets look at it this way from a common sense point of view. If you are planning on boosting your car and achieving high hp numbers you arent going to slap on one kit and be on your way. you are going to end up replacing many parts so that your engine can handle the boost. anyone who just slaps on a kit and tries to run anything more than 5psi has the IQ of a rock and needs to go jump off a cliff.

do you really think that companies make after market engine components because the stock ones break? lets be real. common sense guys.

and please correct me if im wrong in this post

#36 ·
I told you not to ritz these v6 guys have very thin skin and always think we are bashing. Even though my v8 can only handle around 5psi same as them.

#44 ·
Let's now return this thread to the topic started by the OP.

I was at the Mopar Nationals this weekend in Columbus, Ohio and there was a company there called Team Performance Products advertising their twin turbo system for the 5.7 and 6.1 Dodge Charger.

Has anybody heard of them or know anything about there system? It looks like a very clean and stealth install. You do not have to cut up your exhaust or anything else to install the system (HUGE plus in my book). Not sure if this has been discussed before or not......

#45 · (Edited)

Indeed. Back to the topic at hand. If/when you get more info, I'd love to hear about it. I'm missing the twin turbos lately.

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.