Charger Forums banner

Cylinder 1 misfire?

38K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Vito 
#1 ·
my check engine light came on and i took it to meineke and they said it was cylinder 1 misfire..

That means what?

He said, either a spark plug or some type of coil? He gave me these crazy prices

Spark plug: $100

Coil: $100-$200??

I got my oil changed there two days ago, 10/2/2011 and this happens. Im dumb when it comes to engines, is that the legit prices? Im a college kid,$200 to me is a boner. :biggrinjester:

Thanks in advance guys.

#2 ·
Those arent Crazy prices lol, for a shop to do it, 100 is a little steep for that, try bringing it to a different shop, it will cost your around 1.75 cents if you can figure out how to do it your self. there are threads on here for you to look at on how to change out spark plugs

and yes he is talking about a coilpack im assuming, the price he gave you is legit it seems like, i dont know the exact price for one off hand, but that sounds reasonable

#5 ·
The plugs get changed every 30k, and it's best to use the copper Champions, listed on the radiator support. The Hemi uses 16 plugs.

When did you last change the plugs? It may be as simple as changing them to resolve the misfire.

#6 ·
I havent changed them since ive gotten it. I got a different charger, v6 now. Long story.

But! I got the car at 49k miles on it so im assuming then when they've done it, but who knows. Im assuming thats the case (hopefully). Ill do some work with it tomorrow and let you guys know.

Thanks you guys.

#7 ·
Different things besides the ignition can cause a cylinder misfire. How many miles are on the car now? The V6's don't require a plug change until 100K miles. You can start with doing some diagnostics to eliminate things without spending any money. First, clear the code from the PCM. Swap the plug from cyl 1 to another cyl and see if the misfire code moves to the other cyl. If not, swap the cyl 1 coil to another cyl and see what happens. If the code stays with cyl 1, something else is creating the misfire. If the code moves with the swapped component, that is the problem part.

Heavy carbon buildup on the piston, a clogged injector, a marginally working O2 sensor, a vacuum leak - any of these can cause a misfire.

#8 ·
So we're talking about a v-6 Charger here and what year? The check engine light coming on coincided with your oil change? If so, check your plug wires that none are obviously loose, could have been bumped by the tech, also check if any oil is puddled up on the coil or wire & boot, the tech could have spilled oil.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.