Charger Forums banner

Step by step How to Change Batteries on Keys

51K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  michellerego 
#1 ·
I noticed that there is nothing on this forum on how to change the batterys on a key fob, although it is simple once you know, it is tricky if you dont.

Step One:
You start by pressing the slider and removing the hidden key.

Step Two:
You can use a screw driver or your nail but lift up from the tab in the green circle and it should pry open, on some you might have to pull harder but dont worry you wont break anything. DO NOT USE THE TAB IN THE RED CIRCLE that tab is where the key goes and has a bottom you could break plus you wont get any where pulling from there.

Step Three:
Once the cover starts coming off just pull off and your key should look like this.

Step Four:
The rubber buttons just slip right off to expose the battery.

Step Five:
The battery you are going to need to get is CR 2032 they are $5 at walmart. When your putting the battery back be sure to slide it in like it shows in the picture to avoid damaging the contacts.

Step Six:
Just put the rubber buttons back on and snap the cover back on and you are good to go.

And there you have it a new battery in your key.

See less See more
#2 ·
Very good write up, but I have a similar key, but mine doesnt have the cutout in the green circle in picture 2 like your does, it has a back door. I tried your method months ago, and with my style key, i broke it lol. My style was glued together, and aparently you have to use the back door to change the battery, but it seemed pretty difficult for me to do it that way.

#3 ·
Same as the user above. Couldn't get it out the back door so I googled it and came upon this thread. I now have a broken key. F'in Dodge. Make a key that is able to change the battery a lil easier.

If you have a 2008 or newer key....DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD !!!!!!!

#6 ·
Actually, the newer keys do not have back doors. My 2011 is exactly as described in this thread.

In other words, don't determine by year, just look at your fob. If there is no door, use this method.

Reactions: GTO_04
#5 ·
I have the back door style key for my 08, and I just used a special pair of needlenose pliers where the tips are bent 45 degrees to pull out the battery. Worked like a charm.

#8 ·
Wow, I'm really impressed, a whole thread on something that's covered in four paragraphs in the owners manual.

Probably would be good to add " for dummies." on the end of the title.

Pictures are handy though...

#9 ·
Wow, I'm really impressed, a whole thread on something that's covered in four paragraphs in the owners manual.QUOTE]
Thats also what I was thinking.

#12 ·
I checked the manual on my 2011 Chager and found out and it shows a description of keyless remote buttons, but I do not see a sectio on how to replace the battery.

My key fob does not like the one pictured above. If I remove the key I am assuming I should be able to pry it apart. Found a webiste that lists the battery type needed, so that is not a problem.

Once the battery is replaced, are their isues with the remote rerogramming? I would hate to replace the battery to fnd out that I need to bring it to the dealership to have it prorammed

Any help or advice you can give me on the process o replacing the battery would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.