Charger Forums banner

Speedometer not working

34K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  forumoto 
#1 ·
I have an 06 charger rt. The speedometer stopped working. Does anyone know what could cause this problem? The dealer says the instrument cluster is bad, but everything on the cluster is working except for the speed. I need a second opinion before I spend $300 on a new cluster.

#2 ·
The analog gauge might have gone bad. I don't think the car knows if that needle stops working so it wouldn't throw a code. If the speed sensor went out, you would know for sure with a code. Try this cluster test:

Cluster diagnostic.

Press and hold the trip meter reset then turn the key to "ON", the gauges will step through the whole range. If your gauge is acting funny, this is an easy way to see if it's the sender or the gauge.

#5 ·
Well I did this diag and my speedometer fead, it goes to 100+ then start to counts down as other clusters count down by jumping one, one one till it rest. please what is next as the speedometer needle read and comes down as the rest comes down. what should be check next

#6 · (Edited)
I had a problem with the speedo on a neon once, i tired to find the link but after everyone including the dealer told me i needed to replace i found a neon fourm that said to hold the trip reset button in then insert the key and cycle off to acc then on and back off. they speedo flung to 100 then rested back to 0 and worked like a charm from then on. dont know if this will work for you but worth a try. good luck

- edit just read the other post--- sorry

#7 ·
I have done the above stated diagnoses and mine flung to 100 then to 0, yet still the speedometer can rise, i have the car raise up in the air while i do this as i am aware the rear pushes the car, so with the car being in air, and the tires rolling i expect to see the speedometer reading... please keep the suggestion coming

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.