Charger Forums banner

Checking Transmission Fluid on 5.7 Hemi?

34K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rodneyiii 
#1 ·
I noticed that the manual refers to the Rear dipstick for checking the transmission fluid level. but the stick has a cap on it that states "Dealer Use only".. Anyone know why? It looks like it is a screw cap that is VERY tight!!

#2 · (Edited)
these are sealed transmissions... they don't want customers fiddling with the amount of fluid in them. Apparently from what I have read and heard from other people is that this transmission is VERY sensitive to the amount of fluid that is in it, and that something like 1-2% difference can through it off. If you already didn't know the trans on LX's are a Mercedes design and are quite strong (albeit it seems they are programmed to not be as agressive as people would like). Anyway getting back to your question you don't need to check it or change it, the fluid in these are good for I THINK 100,000 miles.

But there has been a little problem with these tranny's in the LX platform, in the magnum and 300, the AC condenser sits right above the fill point that you just mentioned and drips water on it. Some of this water can infiltrate and cause some problems, and it doesn't take very much either. I don't know if this is a problem on the charger... I haven't heard anyone at all really complain about it. So i wouldn't fiddle with it.

I bet you weren't expecting this long of an answer :happy:

btw welcome to this place... there are some awesome people here

#5 ·
#7 ·
Two to Mango said:
The tranny also requires special fluid for the MDS system to function properly and this keeps foreign fluids out.
MDS is an engine function not a tranny function. The engine needs 5W-20 oil for MDS to work reliably but I don't think the transmission has anything to do with MDS as far as fluids are concerned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.