Charger Forums banner

'13 R/T Muffler Delete

19K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Nickel9 
#1 ·
Couldn't find anything on here about this being done, just catback systems and muffler swaps. So, has anyone done a complete muffler delete on their R/T or SRT yet?

I just got quoted at $50 to delete the mufflers and leave the resonators in. I deleted the muffler on my Ram 1500 w/ the 5.7 and loved the sound. Was hoping to hear back from some who have done it, not sure if it'll sound the same or not. Loudness is not a concern, just don't want a terrible sound.

#2 ·
I've never seen anyone do that. On my old 2006 charger I did a reso delete into flow master and it sounded really good. It sounded good even just with the reso delete. It was a cheap alternative for sound. I'm orederin SLP long tube headers and loud mouth exhaust at the end of the month. I think that set up sounds the best from everything Ive listend to on youtube.

#3 ·
#6 ·
Might have to deal with drone...

#8 ·
I replaced the mid mufflers with a straight thru cherry bomb muffler and kept the stock resonator. Worked well for me.

#9 ·
Got a sound clip/video ?

#14 ·
Cherry bomb glass packs. There's 2 ways to install. One way the sound is deadened some and the other way is like straight thru. I'll have to check the paper work and see which one I got (part number).

If look thru the glass pack in one direction you can see the little cut outs to "catch" the sound. When you spin it around, you can see theres no way to "catch" the sound, sense making it louder. Thats the direction I went since I kept my stock resonators. And if you listen to the sound clip, the mufflers are NOT that raspy on the car.

#17 ·
How different is this from the "brylcreem" mod that was so popular with the '06-'10 models (at least early on with the single suitcase mufflers)?

I did that to my Daytona within 6 months of ownership and I can't imagine ever owning the car this long with the stock setup (I still have the original resonators on the car, though).

#18 ·
Had the delete done today, and I love it! At idle and while cruising, the difference is hardly noticeable inside the cab. Under acceleration and mashing the peddle, there's a very nice growl, still not loud persay in the cab, turn your music up to about 18-20 and it drowns out the exhaust.

Honestly, I would've preferred a little louder, but I'm not willing to go careless at this time so this will do until then. For those of you with catless midpipes, I believe the sound would be incredible.

#19 ·
2011 RT mid muffler delete

Just did it dropped out the mids and replaced with straight pipes welded in
Place leaving only the resonators at the back end
Nice rumble on startup, acceleration roar is AWSOME without being too loud and most of all next to no drone
I would highly suggest this before spending $1000+ on aftermarket exhaust
Ya I know I'm sure aftermarket is different but is it really $800+ better

#21 ·
For those of you who did the mid muffler delete. Did you notice a loss of low end torque like some folks report with doing this mod? How is the overall performance 0-60 and whatnot. Thinking of doing this though but I casually take my car to the dragstrip so I dont want anything that will make it slower even if it sounds awesome. Thanks Guys.

#22 ·
I did it on my 2012 R/T Max AWD and saw no performance different. I used Cherry bomb straight thru mufflers in place of the current mid-mufflers. It was louder but still no drone keeping the resonators in place.

#23 · (Edited)
Thinking about doing this cheap mod. this Spring. Any loss of power/torque. I know these hemis like a little backpressure. Also, I'm running a diablo 91 octane custom tune. Wondering if it might affect the tune as well. One other question, I like the cabin fairly quiet. Any noticeable difference in cabin noise. My RT does growl a little more then stock with the tune and a K&N drop in filter.

#26 ·
2013 R/T AWD, just had this mid-muffler delete done. you'll love it, no loss of power/torque, no drone except a slight mild? drone cruising around 2100 rpm 65 mph or so with MDS on. overall if you were debating whether or not to cut it, just try it, it's totally worth it for the cheap $$$. i listened to so many sound-clips on youtube and finally said, let's just do it, no regrets. just make sure they know to cut out the mid-mufflers, a lot of shops automatically assume you are asking to cut out the resonators, but be very clear with them. the rumble when it wakes up on a cold start is worth the $$$, your neighbors will not be too pissed either, it's not obnoxious at all. good luck.

#27 ·
Be aware that if you have the 3.06 rear end that the drone zone may drive you insane on the highway. I run my transmission in auto stick mode to get around it. In hindsight, idle, part throttle and WOT all sound good, but the rasp and "puff" sound you get as the car's shifting at max RPM leaves a bit to be desired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.