Charger Forums banner

Rifled throttle body

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  04goat 
#1 ·
So my friend and I were talking about guns and our cars and it got me thinking. Would I be possible to rifle out the throttle body? Kinda like a TBS but its the throttle body itself. Wonder if it would work.

#2 ·
Wouldnt that be adverse to performance?

The rifling would induce a swirl into the flow of air in and make it more turbulent?

On our helicopters engines (atleast the 701Ds in our H-60s and H-64s) there are de-swirl vanes forward of the compressor blades to straighten out the flow and make it less turbulent to improve compression. IE the same effect as an CAI.

Sent from my "HD" Pantech Breakout using the free version of AutoGuide

#3 ·
Re: Hriv

I don't know. It was just a thought that's been stuck in my mind for a few days.

But shouldn't it act like a TBS. I know the point of the air swirling a TBS causes is for better fuel/air mixture for better combustion.

#4 ·
That in my opinion is a bad idea. Messing with the throttle body can really mess up the air/fuel ratio. Try this link, even though it's a tbs it might be something you're looking for. I bought one for my r/t, I noticed a different between 2-5k rpms, and then when I installed my tuner, I was able play around with the air/fuel ratio and I noticed a positive difference with the entire rpm range.

http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/index.cgi/helixPowerTower

#5 ·
I standcorrected

#6 ·
I know it was just a thought. Not actually gonna do it. Thought it'd be cool if it worked.

#7 ·
You want straight flow until just before the fuel is introduced... TB is a long distance from the injectors.

#8 ·
There is absolutly zero purpose behind swirling the air coming through the throttle body whether the TB is "rifles" or you use one of the pointless TB spacers. The whole concept of improved a/f mixture is outdated and really only applies to carbs or throttle body injection set ups. With modern multipoint fuel injection, even if you swirled the air coming through the TB, it has to make several turns prior to reaching the point where the fuel injectors sit there by negating any positive effect the swirling air may have had on fuel atomization as the air will no longer be swirling by that point.

It's nothing but a marketing ploy to get ignorant people to waste money on TB spacers and tornado fuel savers and any other product that supposedly helps a/f by swirling the air.

#9 ·
So I was originally right? -face slap to self-

#10 ·
It made a difference when i sanded down the outer lip of my tb on my gto. it has better throttle response. as long as you stay back away from the throttle flap it will not harm the idle. my gto has been modded like this for nearly 110,000 miles. and no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.