Charger Forums banner

water pump replacement 6.1

41K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  JackassJesse 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Is there a write up on how to replace the water pump? Mine just went out due to the coolant gunk I think. didn't get the coolant gunk till now and I have 62,000 miles on my SRT.

THanks

#2 ·
Its too simple to write up.
remove the lower cover, drain the cooling system, remove the belt, remove the upper radiator hose, remove the upper metal hose, remove the bolts, replace, fill system with new coolant and distilled water done

#3 ·
how do I remove the belt and where is the water pump? I have no idea what it looks like.

#4 ·
Google it????

#5 ·

Is this the waterpump?
I did google it trust me. And couldn't find anything specific to the charger, found plenty on the hemi trucks, thats about it. but thanks for your help

#6 · (Edited)
HOPE THIS HELPS.W/P REMOVAL.DRAIN COOLANT BEFORE REMOVING
1.Disconnect negative battery cable.2.Drain cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .3.Remove radiator fan assembly (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/FAN, Cooling - Removal) .4.Remove accessory drive belt (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Removal) 5.Remove thermostat (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/THERMOSTAT - Removal)

NOTE: The water pump mounting bolts (2) are different lengths. Note the location of the water pump mounting bolts (2). 6.Remove water pump mounting bolts (2) and remove water pump (1).

RADIATOR FAN REMOVAL
REMOVAL

1.Disconnect negative battery cable.2.Partially drain cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .3.Remove upper radiator hose (3).4.Disconnect cooling fan electrical connector (2).5.Remove cooling fan mounting bolts.6.Remove radiator cooling fan assembly (1) from vehicle.7.Remove fan blade from fan motor.8.Remove fan motor from cooling fan shroud.

BELT REMOAVAL AND ROUTE CHART
5.7L/6.1L

CAUTION: Do not let the tensioner arm snap back to the freearm position, sever damage may occur to the tensioner.
1.Rotate accessory drive belt tensioner (6) counterclockwise until it contacts it's stop. Remove accessory drive belt, then slowly rotate the tensioner into the freearm position.

So the instructions say i have to remove the fan assembly. Seems like you guys said I just had to remove the belt and the pump.

#7 ·
?

Bringing this back from the dead. So is this pretty easy to do? My pump is leaking coolant around the seal. Anything I should look out for before I swap it out this weekend?

#8 ·
One generic tip for removing and reinstalling items that have varying length bolts is this.

Before starting, get a scrap piece of cardboard, or styrofoam. Use a marker to draw a rough outline of the part, putiting small circles for each bolt, number them if you need to. Then, as you remove each blot, push it into the matching hole in the carboard or foam.

This way, come reassembly, theres no doubt about which bolt goes where.

#9 ·
I swapped it out, and yes what GLHS said would help a great deal. What I did is got the new water pump, and everybolt I took off i put it on the new waterpump so I would know where they are to go when installing. I replaced my water pump in about 2 hrs.

#10 ·
Why does your water pump need replacing?!?!?!

#11 ·
It's leaking coolant out of the seal. Probably because I had the gunk crap going all thru it. I only have 37,000 miles.

#13 ·
Gunk crap? I'd be pissed...

#14 ·
so my car is over heating again, or running hot. I replaced the fans already and that didnt do anything, replaced the thermostat and that didn't do anything. My friend says its the radiator but, there is no fluid leaking and a new raidator is like $350 online.

So should I replace the water pump again? Or jsut replace the radiator? Or do you think I have air trapped in the cooling system?

When I am driving at high way speeds my car runs at normal temps, soon as I stop it begins to climb till i get moving again.

This is the second time this is happening.

#15 ·
Are the fans running when it is stopped and the temps are going up? They may not be running or not correctly when needed and then when you get moving the air takes over and starts cooling it again. Shouldn't be any air in it unless you opened it up somehow.
There is a relay for the fans if I'm not mistaken.

Griz

#16 ·
If you don't already know the simple answers to your own Questions on this particular subject, don't attempt doing your own repairs. I suggest you take a beginners course on basic auto mechanics at your local vocational school and most likely you will be able to work on your car at the school. I am not trying to be a smart Alec nor insulting, I am just trying to be helpfully honest with you. I am a retired marine engine mechanics teacher and I often suggest this to my own friends and family members including the females. When new systems, diagnostics and repair methods are introduced I myself go back to school occasionally & I am 77 years old. Although my arthritic hands & sore muscles don't allow me to do mechanic work I often supervise young people & others to do their own work on their cars.

#17 ·
Thanks for your reply 6 years later. I'm sure it was truly useful. ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.