Charger Forums banner

Top speed

11K views 60 replies 36 participants last post by  MCaesar 
#1 ·
What is the top speed of a 2012 SRT8?? The Reason I ask this guy comes up to me and says dodge is junk and the chargers are slow then he says the 2012 SRT8 will only do 144mph

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#2 · (Edited)
Top speed is 175mph from what I've read. Tell the guy to shut the F#@$% up. He's a butt hole that doesn't know jack. Oh and if he thinks they are slow, tell him stock SRT8 Bee pulls down 12.1 in the quarter mile.

Let me guess. He drives rice too!?

#5 ·
No, they do not. For quite a number of years, the German manufacturers had a "gentlemens agreement" to limit off of their models to 155, to head off imminent legislation to that effect after a series fo horrifying autobahn accidents. But they started bypassing that for the serious iron years back.

SRTs policy is that they have no limiters except simple drag/power. As fast as the engine will psuh the car through the air, thats the limit:rocker:

Most cars, like R/Ts, etc, they do have one, set to a couple mph below the speed rating of the stock tires. Normal R/Ts were 130, but Daytonas and Road and Track packages, that came with tires rated to 150, got the limiter set to 148 or so. SRTs have tires rated to about 180 or so, but gearing stops them at about 173-175.

The Neon SRT was out of the box capable of about 145 or so, but adding the Mopar Stage kit raised that to the 170 range, and so new tires of that capability were recommended.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t8-2012-dodge-charger-srt8-first-drive-review

Even at 130 mph along the back straight—top speed is 175, says Chrysler—the 300 SRT8 remained firmly planted, and there was virtually no wind noise.

#8 ·
I was right...hahahaha He drives a schiot box and then talks smack. Thats a special person right there.

#7 ·
^ Yeah, typical Honda driver...

It doesn't matter what you tell him, his mind is made up (just like his information). ;)

Just try to ignore him and maybe he'll go away.

#9 ·
The Police Pursuit is limited to 149 MPH, CHP took a stock Pursuit and raised the limt with the Predator to 175 MPH, the car topped out at 163 MPH. I have mine set at 175 MPH and with intake and exhaust will top out at 166 MPH.

#10 ·
dont all cars have electronic speed limiters configured based on where you live?
SRT's are NOT limited. (pleasantly suprised when i found this out AFTER purchasing mine)

as for the top speed - i have hit 165 in my 2009 on the autobahn (safely). she had a little left too, but i hit a speed controlled zone and had to slow down a bit. i would say i probably could have gotten 170. note: that was with me (230 Lbs) a passenger (190 Lbs) and an after-market sub w/custom box (70 Lbs w/ speaker) and a full tank of gas (100+ Lbs)....that's nearly 600 Lbs of extra weight (vs curb weight of ~4200). the 6.4 should be able to hit, what? 180? maybe 185?

anything less would be....uncivilized :)

#13 ·
SRT's are NOT limited. (pleasantly suprised when i found this out AFTER purchasing mine)

as for the top speed - i have hit 165 in my 2009 on the autobahn (safely). she had a little left too, but i hit a speed controlled zone and had to slow down a bit. i would say i probably could have gotten 170. note: that was with me (230 Lbs) a passenger (190 Lbs) and an after-market sub w/custom box (70 Lbs w/ speaker) and a full tank of gas (100+ Lbs)....that's nearly 600 Lbs of extra weight (vs curb weight of ~4200). the 6.4 should be able to hit, what? 180? maybe 185?

anything less would be....uncivilized :)

No, because aero forces pile up rapidly. Each extra mph doesnt cost the same. Going from 172 to 173 cost less power than going from 173 to 174 does. And also, gearing is a factor.

#12 ·
This reminds me of a guy I work with. But I just tell him yup what ever buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

#14 · (Edited)
What an idiot. Yeah... usually it's someone with a ricer who talks smack. Typically, vehicles are electronically limited to the safe range for the tire. ZRs are good to over 200mph and these all season performance tires are good for sustained 130mph. I would like to see his face when he lines up with one of these new RTs... people have been doing low 5 second 0-60 times—one guy got a 5.056 0-60 stock! Better yet, I would like to see his Civic roll with one from 60 or 80.

I remember picking on those ricers all the time with my car lol. Granted, there are a very select few who are real tuners, but most were rice. I was only beaten once... that was by a old VW Golf with a modified VR6 engine tuned to produce 220whp with heads, port/polish and countless other bolt ons. His race weight was 2200lbs.

I had three other people in the car and my two military A bags filled with gear. He got me from the dig and the roll, but I had still had a lot more top end. He still would've smoked me though. That little car was a freaking go cart lol.

Yeah, don't worry about it... there are a lot of ricers that like to talk smack. If you want a higher top end, just slap on some ZRs and raise the limiter with a tuner.

It does take a lot more power to go a couple more mph, but being more aerodynamic is going to cost much less than power. If you can be more aerodynamic, it's going to give you the extra mph—without needing 700-800hp.

#31 ·
It does take a lot more power to go a couple more mph, but being more aerodynamic is going to cost much less than power. If you can be more aerodynamic, it's going to give you the extra mph—without needing 700-800hp.
I remember seeing a show regarding vehicle aerodynamics. Below 150mph it doesn't play a roll. They proved it out, the same vehicle with a square front end performed the same (time to speed) as an aerodynamic one up to 150mph. They even taped the body lines for a smooth surface. I wish I could remember where I saw it.

#17 ·
No, thats whats called out on 5.7 liter cars that have the 148 vice the 130 of "lesser" model. Police cars, Road and Track package R/Ts, and Daytonas have them.

SRTs get the "ludicrous speed controllers"

#27 · (Edited)
SRTs get the "ludicrous speed controllers"

Now THAT was classic - brought a smile to my face, right there! Thanks for the moment of joy in to an otherwise stressful day.

BTW, I took mine to a shade over 150, she still had a LOT of throttle left. (Had to lift, I was coming up on a semi in the other lane. It wouldn't have been safe or cool to blow by him at that speed. Way too dangerous) ;-)

#18 ·
I have a new 2013 SRT and by accident (seriously) I hit 140 a week or so ago very easily while playing with another charger on the way to the track. 0-60 times (when I can keep the tires on the ground) are 5.0-5.2 sec, and that is with the wheels breaking free and the computer grab and go mode. Mind you, I have had the car for just over a month so am still learning this beast. The SRT8 can do 0-60 time from mid to upper 4 second range stock from what I have read with a 12.1-12.4 quarter mile time.

The other responses for the speed limiters are correct and they should add the mythical Mopar11s also are limited to the 145-150mph range like the Road and track models. Though I am sure it is more fun with those 3:91 gears in the mopar11 than the 3:06 gears in the road and track.

People are going to say things all the time which make no sense out of ignorance or stupidity or both.

#52 ·
The other responses for the speed limiters are correct and they should add the mythical Mopar11s also are limited to the 145-150mph range like the Road and track models. Though I am sure it is more fun with those 3:91 gears in the mopar11 than the 3:06 gears in the road and track.

People are going to say things all the time which make no sense out of ignorance or stupidity or both.
You are correct us mythical M11'S top out at 144 I have it on video on my other memory card I'll post it to this thread later. AND yes the 3.91 gears are fun..besides who needs more then 140 out here in southern California..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
haha a 144, a 144 is a easy, I have done 173 with my previous SRT8, no doubt in my mind this one car do easily 175 plus...I have hit 169 on my current 6.4 and it had plenty more.

Top speed is 175mph from what I've read. Tell the guy to shut the F#@$% up. He's a butt hole that doesn't know jack. Oh and if he thinks they are slow, tell him stock SRT8 Bee pulls down 12.1 in the quarter mile.

Let me guess. He drives rice too!?
I have a new 2013 SRT and by accident (seriously) I hit 140 a week or so ago very easily while playing with another charger on the way to the track. 0-60 times (when I can keep the tires on the ground) are 5.0-5.2 sec, and that is with the wheels breaking free and the computer grab and go mode. Mind you, I have had the car for just over a month so am still learning this beast. The SRT8 can do 0-60 time from mid to upper 4 second range stock from what I have read with a 12.1-12.4 quarter mile time.

this 12.1 quarter mile STOCK is a false statement. If you're guys are talking about mexi runs, hes was NOT STOCK...DR's and tune does not make it stock. It's a 12.3-12.5 car stock.

#39 ·
haha a 144, a 144 is a easy, I have done 173 with my previous SRT8, no doubt in my mind this one car do easily 175 plus...I have hit 169 on my current 6.4 and it had plenty more.
Where on earth can you have enough room to go that fast? Haha, I've only been able to crack my '06R/T out to 110mph before I got to a turn or a hill(followed by a turn) or before I got stuck behind someone. (Of course not WOT or I'd never slow down in time). Although I've only had it 3 weeks, and it's winter...
Just wondering because I want to see what mine can do, but the hidden potholes on the thruway or freeway would OBLITERATE this car if hit at 130mph.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#22 ·
The SRT-8s are only limited by gear. I thought they started to run out at around 173? I suppose you could increase the RPM limiter or put a different gear on. My car tops out at 153 (drag limited), but she has plenty of gear though... even with my 3.27 rear end. My 3rd gear is 1.00 and my overdrive is .70

#23 ·
It doesn't matter what the top speed is if you can blow his doors off from any run you want! Plus for a street car application does it really matter if the car has 800hp but only a limited 150 top end? When will you ever go 175 plus on the street or highway in america other than maybe once to see how fast it will go, and that depends solely on having the jewels to want to go that fast on the street and how deep your pockets are if you get caught by the pokey.

#24 ·
well said there... them pockets will empty real fast having to look at the car from a photo behind bars if caught. Would hate to have that happen to anyone. To me, hitting 140mph was fast enough.... not having the stones to get to 160 or 170mph atm, too much to lose by that and I will sleep just as good knowing others have proven this fact for me with the magic of youtube etc...

#30 ·
Good info! I was slightly confused when I did a top speed run last week for S&G's and got shut down by the limiter at 130ish. Kinda disappointed then, but thankful now. Crappy tires saved by programmed limits!

Also, I have a hard time believing that the new 6.4's are only pushing 0-60 times in the low 5's. My teeny tiny 5.7 pulled ^ that time a few days ago. Only mod is an Air Hog and air tube mod. Those 6.4 are cranking out some impressive HP numbers compared to the previous gens.

#37 ·
The 6.4 will do 0-60 in 4.3-4.5 range, I did 0-60 in 4.8 and that was with babying it A LOT from the start so the tires wouldn't spin. Every time I got any wheel spin at all the timer would stop.

#35 ·
The car is rock solid and gets to about 155 real fast.

After that progress slows

The 1st gen was geared out at 173 mph stock in 4th and couldn't pull 5th at that speed.

The 2nd gen is a few MPH faster, not that much. 45HP doesn't mean that much over 170mph when drag is the big enemy.

As for Long Island, I had 140mph runs every night after closing my store in East Islip - you just have to go far enough out and late night enough.

Several times passed cops. By the time they pulled out I was out of sight and off the parkway!

The good ole days

#38 ·
I went 83mph in a 70mph zone and got my first ticket in my charger at age 15.... worst day of my life.... So I guess 83mph would be my top speed in my AWD R/T

#40 ·
I have a 2007 SRT8. In 2009, with about 20k on the clock, Falkens on the rims, same size as the F1's but 255s all around, on a western road even more remote than US 50 "The Loneliest Road in America", I pulled it over and shut it down. The road ran down the middle of the basin, crossing the toes of the giant alluvial fans coalescing between two lofty snow-capped ranges. A scene right out of a western movie.

I had just apexed one of them, and the next one was about 20 or so miles ahead. I could see for maybe 3 miles behind me. I cleared the EVIC, did the linear throttle thing, shut down HAL/ESP before putting it in D, then, after carefully scoping fore and aft agian, I lit her up.

It was completely stock.

I ran her about 3/4 of the way up the next alluvial fan before backing out of it. The odo indeed said I had traveled about 18 miles. I did not want to crest that fan with something unpleasant motoring the other way. As I crested that rise, I coasted to a stop and went searching the EVIC.

The top speed there was 176. I have no idea what the accuracy of that truly is.

But it wasn't something you wanted to leave on there, so I erased it (well, one hopes....).

Even though I have been up and down that road about a dozen times since, I have never tried that again. In fact on one southerly run, I picked up a ticket for 70 in a 65. That was much below what he radared me. But he was curious to see the new big HEMI, so we talked cars for awhile, and he gave me a reduced "sentence".

The rest of you probably know a whole lot more about the EVIC than I do. I have only delved into it a few times. How accurate is it?

#41 ·
Before my gear/rear swap i did 163 before i got spooked...new top end is like 136

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.