Charger Forums banner

Replacement Key

87K views 48 replies 29 participants last post by  eagle-co94 
#1 ·
Things being what they are, my car key went missing and I need to get another one.
Has anyone tried to reprogram a new key themselves, with only 1 key remaining? If I do have to go to the dealer, does anyone know just how badly they're going to bend me over on this?
Thanks,

#7 ·
Why should I bring Vaseline to the dealer? is it used in anyway to reprogram a key?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#5 ·
yup

You need 2 keys to program a 3rd key. If you lost one then you have no choice but to go to the dealer. Last I checked it was $230 for the key and to have them program it.

When I learned this I jumped on ebay and bought a blank spare key for $50 then got it cut for $1.00 and then programed it myself for $0 free.

Well worth it if your ever in this situation or if you are going to install an aftermarket auto start.

#6 ·
I got a third remotekey for my Daytona and programmed it myself. I recommend this for everyone who has these type keys. Pay a little now and you will save alot later. I did the same thing for my Neon years ago. ;) Also, I use the third key when I have my cars in for service. That way I don't have to take a key off my keyring, and if the place your getting your car serviced looses the key, you have one with you and are not stuck.

#10 ·
check your manual

It's in the manual. But basically you insert key 1 that is already programmed and you turn it but don't start the car. Then wait til you hear a beep or the red light starts to blink in the dash. Then take it out and do the same with the 2nd key. You will hear another beep. Then put in the new key you want programmed and do the same and you will hear the beep when it is programmed. It's something along those lines but literally takes 1 minute to do maybe 2 if it's your first time. But the Dealer won't admit that this is possible but check your car's manual and you'll see it.

When I called the dealer for the key they said I had to take it in. I said but I have 2 keys already programmed can't I program it myself. He said no. You need the code and a computer with the software to do it. I said so why does it say in the manual that I can do it myself as long as I have 2 keys that already programmed. He said oh I didn't know. Then told me the price of the blank key which was about $170 just for a blank key unprogrammed.

#11 ·
My blank remote key was 135.00 at the dealer and I programmed it myself. My Chrysler dealer said they only charge 45.00 to program a key. I love my Chrysler dealer. I have all my Dodge's serviced there. :grin:

#12 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going to get bent like a pretzel by the dealership.

#13 ·
dealear vary

Different Dealers charge different amounts. I'm in So. Cal so that might have had something to do with it. I bought my key on ebay for $50 and programmed it for free.

#14 ·
hmmm

Hey Maxell,

You may want to try buying a key on ebay and having the dealership program it for you. Not sure if it will work but if it does your only paying $45 to get it programmed.

Even if it doesn't work and you have to pay full price with the dealership you'll now have the ebay key and 2 working keys so you can program a 3rd now and you won't have to worry about the dealership again.

#16 ·
haha

Ya, me too. I only read the key part because when I got my autostart installed they were going to take 1 of my keys and I didn't want to be left with just 1 so I thats why I read up on it and bought the key online. Best investment you can make.

#19 ·
Ya, me too. I only read the key part because when I got my autostart installed they were going to take 1 of my keys and I didn't want to be left with just 1 so I thats why I read up on it and bought the key online. Best investment you can make.
So then you should have boughten 2 extra keys cause now you back to having only 2.

So what do they do with the key that is used with the autostart?

#17 ·
Some dealeships wont touch programming Ebay keys, saying Ebay keys are not real keys and dont want to be responsible for it maybe screwing up your system. And it can be a pain getting them cut. Lots of hardware places wont do it, claiming that they might damage the key, and wont be responsible.

The part about needing a code number and computer is right, as far as it goes, if they do it, thats how they do it, using the Starscan computer and the PIN you need to call into dodge corporate to get.

#18 ·
I bought a key on Ebay, dealer had no problem with it. Funny thing about that, though - apparently all their vehicles except for ONE MODEL require use of the same cartridge when cutting the key. Yeah, guess which cartridge was in the machine?

New OEM key as a replacement, on the dealership. Plus, they waived the programming fee. Saved about $80 because they screwed up.

#20 ·
I did buy another one later one

I did buy another key later on. The autostart key was taken apart and only the chip inside was kept really for the autostart. Its inside a box like thing hidden in the car.

#21 ·
I did buy another key later on. The autostart key was taken apart and only the chip inside was kept really for the autostart. Its inside a box like thing hidden in the car.
Hmmmm I keep wondering about this, they chip is supposed to keep people from stealing our cars right? I know this needs to be done in order for the autostart to function but then what keeps people from stealing are cars now that we (those that have the autostart function that is) provided them with the chip? I guess we have to rely on the capability's of the aftermarket alarm then right? Does you car turn off if you step on the brake and don't have the key in the "On/Ignition"?

#23 ·
If you lost it i would just consider getting new keys made(reprogramed) there have been 2 cars on here that i know of that have been stolen because they lost there keys. Pay the lil bit of extra money now and save urself in the long run.

#29 ·
Depending on where you are, some of the more advanced locksmiths in major urban areas can handle the job. And will save you a little money over the dealership. Only one I know for sure was in San Diego. Just make sure when you call that you make sure they kow its a newer Dodge, mention the SKIS system. If they dont know what that is, dont bother.

#30 ·
keys need to be reprogrammed n do I have to go?

so I got a 08 charger rt, it works fine n now problems,til all of a sudden I want to drive, so I go to my garage n proceed to grab my keys. I pushed the unlock button n nothin happens, I'm confused pushed the lock button alarm button trunk button but still nothin.. So I took the key key out of the plastic one n open the car door manually with the key, I then but it back into the regular key n try to start the car but nothin.. I went on to buy a new little battery for the key,i tried it and nothin,its not the key. I caled n found out I need my key reprogrammed. The dealership lady said I need my car towed up there in order to reprgram the car keys.. tso my question is, do I really need to tow my car to the dealership in order for them to reproram it? N does my bumper to bumper warranty cover this? I'm a new owner so I need help or advice, I'd appreciate the help or information,thank you.

#31 ·
According to this thread you should read your owner's manual, supposedly you can reprogram it yourself; the tips outlined above seem to have worked for others as well.

I wonder if it will work for me...as I do not have a key, just a fob with a contoured tip that coincides with the aperture in my dash...there is a key inside it that I can use to manually unlock the driver's door (and ONLY that door it seems) but that's about it.

#35 ·
keyless entry doesn't work anymore

I've had my Charger since 2006 and in that time I must have dropped both of my keys too many times because the clamp that holds the battery down to the chip inside my keys doesn't connect. So now I have to manually insert the key into the door to unlock which wouldn't be that big of a problem except that some jackass tried to break into my car with a flat head about a year ago so now when I open my door the alarm goes off until I start the car (which can be embarrassing in grocery store parking lots with an audience of people who think I'm stealing my own car).

I found a blank key on ebay for $55. Do I need to get it cut at the dealership and can I reprogram the new key even though both my other keys don't unlock wirelessly? I would really rather avoid the dealership... Can anyone help?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.