Charger Forums banner

Trans or gears ?

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  xaggie 
#1 ·
I'm debating between doing mods to my trans (stall converter,bluetops/valve body,MoparTCM) or installing a Getrag Limited Slip Differential track pack.

I guess my question is which one would be the best bang for the buck and/or which would give me the most performance and if i was to go with the Getrag what gear ratio would be the best ?

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
since i hate choosing i did both lololol, i guess if you had a gun to your head id go with the getrag .the tranny will hold up but the limited slip rear and taller gears will make a real noticable difference .id do tme mopar tcm any way if you can find one. there are as many opinions on ratios as there are chargers personally the tallest i would go with is 3.55 . still a streetable gear you wont lose to much mpg and speed on the top . while at the same time be in the perfect gear at the 1/4 mile .

#12 ·
Off the line power not only requires the right gearing,...........Newer car model ECMs will have encryption, so you can't do this stuff anymore, like remove MIL indicators, and so on. I know people who can program an ECM so the MILs never come on from bad O2 sensor data, like removing the Cats and so on... This will all be stopped, till a REAL enthusiast/hacker wants to retune his car......................SO, you have more than gearing to contend with, to deliver all the HP to the wheels.
You are new here but should really take a look around....many threads about Diablo breaking the 2011+ ECMs...tuning vendors are already turning out dyno tuned cars....and Mopar has licensed Arrington Racing to do tuning for 2nd generation Hemis....

#14 ·
For your Mango, I would do gears like 3.92 or 3.73 first to get a feel for how it wakes the car up. From there decide how you want to build the motor, then based on the gears and the motor build you can select the right convertor and then you will have a great build.

MOPAR TCM IS A MUST HAVE

#17 ·
Hey Plum I plan on either pro charging or doing a turbo set up down the road but as we have talked before my car is no longer a daily driver. So I'm open for anything and if you look in my Signature you can see I have a lot done to the motor lol

#19 ·
Hey MangoD:
Gears are the best bet for immediate returns on performance; however, if you are going to do it right, don't use the Getrag system. Instead, build an M215 with a Quaife and Richmond gear set. Pair it with some Axles from the Driveshaft Shop and your set! You will have plenty of capability for your engine mods and any future trans upgrades.
Xaggie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.