Charger Forums banner

Rear end swap

13K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  EBSuspension 
#1 ·
I know this has been posted before, but the search on this site is horrible plus I want to find some up to date information.

First question: is swapping my differential out with a differential from an srt8 a worth while swap? I want better torque but don't want to murder gas mileage.

Second question: with the predator, is that gear ratio even an option?

Third question: any successful swaps? I know there was a thread with a guy in NY who did a swap but he used the getrag. And last I remember, it was never updated after he got the swap done and was working out some bugs.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
You can change the computer with the Predator, but I think only with the 5 speed automatic. Do you have that?

Also....you might want to check and find out what gear ratio you already have. I remember my V6 Challenger that had the 4 speed came with a 3.64 rear. Anytime you go with a lower gear (numerically higher), it WILL affect your gas mileage, just so you know.

#3 ·
I have the NAG1 tranny. Have the predator.

Does anyone know what gearing I have? My car was made in July 2007. I have read so many different answers its amazing. I was hoping Samoan tsunami was still hanging around to get some info.

I guess I should clarify on the predator question...basically I'm trying to find out if the srt 8 gear ratio is preloaded? I swear I've checked before in it but it only had 3.07 not 3.06. If it is, anyone know if its better to use that or get a custom tune set up?

#7 ·
That would make sense. I'll email diablo sport to confirm that.

Galvatron-SX, I pmed my VIN to you

#8 ·
I've done the swap. I used the 3.07 ratio in the Predator with no issues.

I know this may seem contrary to most people's thinking but I saw an increase in mpg. The higher gears caused MDS to come on a lot faster than it used to and it stays on a lot longer than it used to. I've had MDS stay on while climbing a slight incline where before it would have kicked off as soon as any extra load is put on the engine. I am one of those guys that uses cruise control a lot too. I have a long highway commute to work every day so cruise control gets used.
I can say that I do get a lot more snap off the line and that by itself has made the swap worth it all. I can roast the tires a lot easier than before.

#9 ·
If you can get up under your car and see the tag on the diff it will say what it is.

#10 ·
Thanks. I found out the other day. I have 2.87 so the 3.06 would be a nice upgrade without sacrificing gas mileage

#11 ·
Don't waste your money. It's too small a change.

I went from 2.65 to 3.06 and want to go back to stock....

#12 ·
But how does the 3.06 compare in a v6. You already have an upper hand with horsepower and torque. I was just trying to get a little "seat of the pants" feeling

#13 ·
If you can find one cheap, it's not that bad to swap out the whole diff., I did mine in the driveway on ramps in a few hours. The only thing special I needed was two sockets made into shallow well sockets (I shortened them on a lathe), and some pry bars to remove the half shafts... and some torx tools...

A differential from a SRT8 will require the hubs, half shafts and the back half of the prop shaft.

#15 · (Edited)
Or just pick up some 235/55/17 for the back and 215/60/17's for the front. You get the same snap and tire lite up as changing gear ratios, cause you are, but if you want to change back for the season, you just change the tire and wheel to the originals. It works well for me.

#16 ·
I have a whole SRT rear end for sale. It a Getrag LSD rear differential with 3.06 gears. The largest axles. 32spline and hubs. I even bought the drive shaft. All to install it in my 15 charger but found that they changed the diff mounts in 15-16. It's all for sale. 319-759-3303. Ebsuspensions@yahoo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.