Charger Forums banner

miles per gallon?

15K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  Touch 
#1 ·
Not new to the forum, but new to posting. What I would like to know is if anybody has taken a trip in their Charger of at least 1000 miles and what was your gas mileage. I'm planning a trip from Largo, Fl to the Finger Lakes area in upstate N.Y. in July. The way the gas prices keep rising :( I might have to mortgage my first born for the trip. And yes, I have the Charger R/T.
Thank you

#3 ·
Set cruise around 55-60 mph and should be able to get close to 28 mpg.

#4 ·
freethrowtommy Is that a v6 or hemi. I have a Hemi in mine. Maybe the "awd" threw me off or something.

#7 ·
Man the lime daytona is sexy i get so mad.. I was SO close to trading my car in for one of those.

#8 ·
23 mpg average, 65 - 75 mph. 1200 mile round trip, Ky to Fl. R/T

#10 ·
Highest I ever hit was 19 MPG

That was driving with the AC off at 65 mph for an hour

I dunno how people are claiming 25-26, my average is 16.7 MPG right now
Me too - with traffic.
Best I ever did was last week with the AC on - open road got about 22mph

#11 ·
22-23mpg averaging 75-80mph. If you can stand it, 65-70mph will get you into the 24-25mpg range. Love that MDS.

#12 · (Edited)
I have been wondering the same thing so a few weeks ago when I picked up my new R/T I decided to find out for myself the mpg and if octane rating had any effect on mpg. When I picked the Charger up at the dealer it had 3/4 tank of gas and 121 miles on the clock. I managed to run out the tank on Sunday and Monday getting to know my new car. On Tuesday, I filled the tank with 93 octane gas at $3.43 per gallon and started my run for the week. I got 23.6mpg. I re-filled the tank with 87 octane at $ 3.02 per gallon and got 24.2 mpg. My third tank was 91 octane at $3.11 per gallon. I got 23.8 mpg. I pulled in the garage with 1507 miles on the clock. My driving was done on I-24, I-75, I-20 and I-95 in Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina with very few miles done off the interstate. Most was with the cruise control set between 75 and 80 but there were times when I just couldn't hold the Hemi back.

#14 ·
Chris do you have superchips? The RTs shoulnd't be using anything higher than 89 if you dont' have one. A friend of mine who's a head mechanic at a BMW dealership told me that atleast on their cars when you change octanes the car goes through a learning curve, so you can't really judge your mpg until you've run two tanks through at the same octane.

#17 ·
Yeah 89 is what's recommended for the RT. I just wanted to let you know it actually says in the manual for the RT to not run 91 or higher.

#19 ·
Crazy, You got that kind of mileage on a trip, but what kind of mileage do you get when you're doing around town short trip driving. I honestly get about 13-14 mpg around town no highways. When I go on highways around 75-80 I get about 21-23 mpg. All I have is a K&N CAI, everything else stock.

#21 ·
Crazy, You got that kind of mileage on a trip, but what kind of mileage do you get when you're doing around town short trip driving. I honestly get about 13-14 mpg around town no highways. When I go on highways around 75-80 I get about 21-23 mpg. All I have is a K&N CAI, everything else stock.

Last time I averaged it out I got 19 and some odd tenths with 50/50 city/highway driving.

I have noticed since installing the cut-outs, if I leave them cracked open a little and drive with ESP off, my mileage has gone up a little.

#22 ·
Mpg

Just got back from a road trip, 460 each way. Got almost 28 mpg driving around 75 to 80 mph.

#25 ·
I want to thank all of you for replying to this thread. Something I did learn here tho is that all of you without chips are running 87-89 octane gas. The dealership I bought mine from 2 years ago, suggested for optimal performance was to use 93. :mad: And no :D I have never read my owners manual with the exception of the one for the nav. So in brief I have learned that I should expect between 19 and 29 mpg. And no I have never, never bought a car for gas mileage. If the gas prices hit $4 it would be cheaper to get a discounted ticket and fly. (thinking)Not. I luv driving to much.
Thank you all

#26 ·
Most of my driving is in town, stop and go traffic, I tend to get 13-14 mpg. I just took a 1400 mile round trip, almost all interstate with the cruise set at 75-80 and avg was 24.

#28 · (Edited)
I took a 1400 mile trip and averaged between 24-26 mpg in my rt, and hit as much as 28 mpg a few times. But I mostly do city driving and I get between 15.5-16.5. I get about 17-18 with mostly city driving when I drive good.

#30 ·
Charger of at least 1000 miles and what was your gas mileage.

LX Spring Fling, BC to LA and Back. My best Buddy , my Charger and a wallet full of Ben Franklins......Mileage per gallon? who cares!:grin:

#31 ·
Just got back from Virginia and North Carolina, 1800 miles. Cruised around 80mph most of the trip. Got 25 mpg for the trip. That's with construction backups on I-78 and normal NY congestion.

#32 ·
Are you guys with the lousy mileage resetting your EVIC when you fill up? Are you checking your mileage the old fashioned way with a gas receipt and a calculator? Maybe try those things to see if your EVIC is off.

#35 ·
I'm doing both things. Hand calculating and evic calculating. The evic tends to read under by about .1-.2 mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.