Charger Forums banner

Changing shifter from dash to floor

11K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Fast50 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 5.7 Hemi Police Interceptor. It came with the shifter that's mounted in the dash (column shift?). What do I need to convert it to a floor shift?

#2 · (Edited)
A ton of ****... Just leave it alone and buy go fast goodies. IMHO. Also I don't know if the chargers are like the old crown Vic's, but they had calibrated trans and you could back up and throw it in drive or opposite. They were calibrated so cops could make abrupt maneuvers.

#3 ·
Shifter Swap

First of all, why in blazes are Chevy ads injected between posts in a DODGE forum????

The dash shifter is obtrusive and obnoxious, and just plain ugly. At least for me, it's actually easier to control any manual shifting with a floor shifter than via a column/dash unit.

:driving:

#5 · (Edited)
Man If I were to buy a police Interceptor I would bring it back to all as it was intended to be, an interceptor. of cause the special lights and sirens would be illegal but to have fun on the highway and people thinking you were the law an slow down would be a good thing.
Back in my day I owned a 1988 Plymouth Gran Fury that was a highway patrol vehicle with the side search light and the two mounted brake lights that were mounted on the rear inside deck. I use to work in the worst neighborhoods in NYC and know body would mess with that car. If I was working in Manhattan traffic would always open up for me when they saw me coming up from behind. Like I said let them think what they wanted as long as I kept it with in the law..

Big John:beerchug:

#10 ·
Yeah!
I do this every day driving through traffic my 2008 Charger Police.
I like all things in my Police baby(include dashboard shifter)!
I installed trunk digital antenna 2".It help me,not so much cars passing my Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 ·
I was going to do the same with mine too but opted for the dash shifter, it keeps it "special" and truly the only thing left on my car that's noticeable that it was a cop car. I turned that empty space into an Ipod dock with some ingenuity, and a cheep part from Ebay. Cost me about 10 bucks...notice the line in jack on the factory stereo above in the pic.

#11 ·
You will have to get all the parts from either the dealership or a salvage yard, I am doing the same thing. But I wouldn't recommend doing the swap yourself, the police charger has a different wiring harness that has to be modified to hook up the floor shifter.
And on top of that you would have to take it to a dealership to get the computer reprogrammed so it works correctly from what I have been told.
My local dealership quoted me ~$600 not including the price of parts. It's a long process, but I agree the column shifter is very annoying, you get used to it but its just not the same as the floor shifter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 · (Edited)
I dunno what everyone's crying about, did you know you were buying a police package? What specifically "sucks" about the dash shifter? I've driven chargers and challengers with the floor shift. Its OK but typical of every other floor shifter... It is an appendage that takes up room. If you do research there are threads on how to add the shifter from parts. Tell me something the floor shift does that the column doesn't do except explain to your friends why there's no console in the car... That is if your savy enough to put that in yourself. I for one take pride in being fortunate enough to own a charger different than everyone else's car, and having sime of the nice feartures that civillian cars don't have. For one is a huge price tag, there are tons of people that wish they could have what you do, if you wanted an RT with leather, sun roof and a floor shifter ya should have bought one from the beginning.
-S

#14 ·
agree with salvage/donor car. Looked into doing it to my first police charger. Column, linkage and programming was all too much for the price tag of the donor cars I was able to find.

#15 ·
I curious to know what programming was involved. All the posts and people I have read up on actually doing this didn't have any programming involved. It was more of an issue to change the shifter cable to the transmission and extend the shifter wiring for the plug under the dash to reach the floor.

I can understand the hitting the radio panel once in a while- done that myself. One would think though that after doing it a couple times you'd pay more attention and slow down a bit. This is assuming that you don't have an aftermarket stereo that sticks out to far like some I have seen.

None the less I like the added space free from an occasionally used appendage, and it works great with my iPod dock that I integrated into that space.

Techs at Dodge dealership once tried to find that "option" in the aftermarket book thinking it was OEM. HAHA

#17 ·
Ya my guess is that the dealer was misinformed and or wanted to rake a few more dollars out of your pocket.
There are few if any electrical connections to the shifting mech. Shift lock, 3 position electronic indicator, up/dn for the manual shift, and possibly a back light in the shifter? so maybe 8-10 wires tops?

#19 ·
Well, I got 'er done. The mechanical part was actually easier than I expected - including replacing the instrument panel bezel. I didn't need to replace the ignition lockout cable. I was fortunate enough to find the direct-fit electrical wires/connectors on ebay from another Charger that was being parted out.
The hard part was finding the wiring conversion info - they're different for dash-vs. console shifter.

I'll post a pic of the finished product when I get a chance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.