Charger Forums banner

Front end rattle

7K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Jonny 
#1 ·
UPDATE:

I replaced the tension struts, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!! I can feel the difference in so many ways.
No creaking in the steering wheel, no rattling down the road, no creaking over bumps (new development, the bushings were deteriorating rapidly.)

If you are experiencing this, this is likely your problem!

Original post:

Front end rattles, small bumps, big bumps, just randomly.
Not a nasty clunk, it's a light to moderate rattle.

Replaced outer tie rods a couple ten thousand miles ago.

New sway bar bushings last year.

Put the car on a jack, nothing obvious like when the tie rods went.

Best way to check for loose stuff? Suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
Jonnyyyy budddyyy wutsup how r u todayyyy. Im sending u on an adventure ok? Bear with me, lets hope u understand my fancy descriptions.
Pop the hood open, right at the hood latch there are 2 overlapping plastic covers, take them off, they pop off easily if you angle them towards you i think. Stick your hand in there, you should be able to fit it via one side, and navigate your hand to a piece of plastic that is on the driver's side of the radiator. Apply light pressure and see if that's what is rattling about with slight wind force. If it is, well idk whats next, we find a way to strap it down or remove if not needed?
Searched the location of it and it seemed to be related to some picture of the "chilly air mod" lemme know sup.

#4 ·
Appears to be the sway bar bushings (isolators) yet again.

Parts on order.

#6 ·
I already tried the strut tower brace, that was tight. The rattle isn't a body component, you can feel it in the SOTP and steering wheel. It's a suspension component, for sure.

I lubed and re-aligned the sway bar bushings, which temporarily quieted the rattle.

#7 ·
...and today I replaced the sway bar bushings.

...and today it still rattled.

FuG.

Could it possibly be that engine mount that's cracked/broken, that I have yet to replace?

What bushings go in the front end, and how to check them without dismantling the whole front end?

#8 ·
Let me know where this is at, i may have same thing. Did u check what i suggested?

#9 ·
Jonny....I can bet it is either a ball joint, or more than likely the bushing on the tension strut is fried. It will rattle and drive you up the wall I know. Real easy to check and change. Let me know.

#10 ·
Yuro, checked those things you suggested, that was not it.

Sector 2, thanks, I'll check those next!

#11 ·
Energy suspension tension strut bushings and new tension struts on order...

#12 ·
I've installed a strut tower bar this evening.
Just when I've turned on the engine I 've felt an increasing vibration all over my car.
I think it is caused by the strut but I'm not sure.
What should we do?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
I've installed a strut tower bar this evening.
Just when I've turned on the engine I 've felt an increasing vibration all over my car.
I think it is caused by the strut but I'm not sure.
What should we do?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

It is caused by the strut tower brace.

I "modified" mine a bit by installing a small clearance dent where it was hitting the intake manifold/runners, with a hammer (The BAR, not the INTAKE!).

You could also slightly bend it in the middle to clear the intake manifold.

Third option, use some washers under the flange where the brace attaches to the strut towers.

I did a combination of 1,2, and 3 to get mine to clear... :beerchug:

#14 ·
Jonny...I see you have new set of TS on order....Did you get a chance to crawl under there and get a look at the bushings? I could practically see through mine.

#16 ·
Haven't been able to get a good enough viewing angle to see. I ordered the energy suspension bushings and mevotech lower control arm/tension strut. I hope they are compatible.

Thanks Jonny!

Finally did it!! Just some hammer hits on the brace and no vibrations at all!

So happy!

:rocker:
I'm glad that worked for you, mine had a terrible vibration at first, also!

#17 ·
Hmmm... I see a cable and connector that is swinging loose and i think it's causing a plastic rattle, right behind the grill on the passenger side, not connected to anything. You can see it better from under the hood, looking down behind the grill... Wondering if you know where it goes... Id make a thread about it but dont have a pic yet and maybe you know whatsup Jonny.

#18 ·
Sounds like the ambient air temperature sensor (not intake air sensor).

#19 ·
Is it supposed to be like that or connected to something? Ill get a pic for it tomorro. Temps are displayed just fine.

#21 ·
Jonny....I ran into trouble w/ trying to use he energy suspension bushings w/ the Mevos. The Energy bushings will only take to the OE or the Moog components. The Mevos have a smaller opening. Bummer I know. But the Moogs are better. My Mevos didn't last more than a year and the "clunk" came back. Get the ones w/ the zirk grease fittings, so you can service the ball joints every time you rotate your tires....Andy

#22 ·
Too late. I found out the mevos don't fit the energy suspension bushings the hard way.

I was going to just install the mevos with the rubber bushings, I'll order a seat of moogs today.

Thanks!

#23 ·
I can't find Moog for 2010, didn't ask about SRT8 parts, which are supposed to be the same as 2010.

Parts store recommended Beck-Arnley, supposed to be OEM fit, they'll be here tomorrow and we'll sere if they fit.

The Mevotech have been upgraded, zerk fitting added and beefier, parts store hasn't had any warranty returns with the new ones.

Anyone want a set of new tension struts, cheap?

#24 ·
Bought the second set from the parts store. (Independent, quality parts store)

Beck Arnley and Mevotech are made by the exact same factory, same packaging, different part numbers. Same plastic bag w/ logo even. Not surprising, as many parts are only made by a few suppliers.

Anyway, I have the second set to play with as far as installing the bushings (looking again at it, these should fit...)

Installed a set with stock rubbers, OMG what a difference. No clunking, no slight vibration or creaking while turning the steering wheel, everything is SO much smoother! Very happy.

Took about an hour and a half. You need a 18mm socket, 22mm wrench and a pickle fork, along with the basic garage tools.

Getrag diff is on the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.