Charger Forums banner

Long Crank to Start When Warm

36K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  cuddo420 
#1 · (Edited)
Ever happened you any of you? Happened to me for the first time tonight. Had driven 15 miles home from work, stopped at the gas station 5 minutes to fill up. Turned the key to start and.....crank.....crank.....about 4-5 seconds. Haven't heard that since the carburator days. She normally always fires within 1-2 seconds.

Very weird. I'm think it has something to do with the crank sensor. Anybody experience something similar?

#3 ·
I don't think that's it - battery has plenty of juice, according to EVIC. I'm thinking some kind of vapor lock, or the position of the throttle sensor when I stopped the car.

I've used this car to run numerous errands, and had many "hot starts" after it's been sitting only a few minutes, which is why it surprised me.

#4 ·
I'm thinking some kind of vapor lock,
Hemi31 over on SRT8OC suggested I may have filled the tank too much (I always squeeze in a bit more after the click), and this may have caused it.

I never heard of this before.

#5 · (Edited)
Resurrecting this, as I had an interesting issue today. Started the car this morning to go to work, it has been sitting for 6 days, and temp was 18*. She fired right up. Got to work, and it sat 1.5 hours, went out to run an errand, and she cranked at least 5 seconds. Almost thought she wasn't going to start. Drove about 2 miles, had to stop and drop off some mail, car was shutoff maybe 1-2 minutes, and then she fired right up again.

Get to my next destination, where it sat about 1 hour. Temp is now only about 23*. Came out to start her, and again, cranked 3-4 seconds this time. What is going on? She starts instantly after a week of sitting, but on after sitting 1-2 hours, she is taking a while to light - engine turns over just fine, and battery in EVIC is averaging 14.1 volts, as it always has since new. I've had it 3 years in February, 10,000 miles on her. Car is now going to sit about 6 hours, so I guess I'll see what happens when I go to start her up this afternoon.

Just something with the cold?

#6 ·
Resurrecting this, as I had an interesting issue today. Started the car this morning to go to work, it has been sitting for 6 days, and temp was 18*. She fired right up. Got to work, and it sat 1.5 hours, went out to run an errand, and she cranked at least 5 seconds. Almost thought she wasn't going to start. Drove about 2 miles, had to stop and drop off some mail, car was shutoff maybe 1-2 minutes, and then she fired right up again.

Get to my next destination, where it sat about 1 hour. Temp is now only about 23*. Came out to start her, and again, cranked 3-4 seconds this time. What is going on? She starts instantly after a week of sitting, but on after sitting 1-2 hours, she is taking a while to light - engine turns over just fine, and battery in EVIC is averaging 14.1 volts, as it always has since new. I've had it 3 years in February, 10,000 miles on her.

Just something with the cold?
Have you ever done an oil analysis? You may have leaking or seeping injectors. When they seep or leak, and then you try to start it up you get a slight flooded condition causing more cranking etc.

I have seen several LX cars with this issue. A simple fuel rail leak down proceedure will also show the problem it that is the cause.:bigthumb:

Just a thought.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

#7 ·
I thought of a fuel rail leakdown myself. Car only has 10,000 miles, and never an issues. Why would the car start instantly after sitting for a week though, if this were the case?

#8 ·
That would be because the gasoline had time to vaporize and then go out of the chamber....open valves, pcv etc. It is when it is warm and spritzing while sitting there under pressure and still wet that it produces the flooded condition.

Brian
BND

#10 ·
Interesting. I'm sure if I took it to my dealer, they would be "unable to duplicate", or just tell me that those crank times were within the realm of normalcy.

#12 ·
Update: car sat 6 more hours, came out from work, temps still low 20s, she fired right up. Drove 12 miles mostly high speed to the gym. Came out 1.5 hours later, temps the same, she fired right up.

Those danged gremlins.....!

#25 ·
Update: car sat 6 more hours, came out from work, temps still low 20s, she fired right up. Drove 12 miles mostly high speed to the gym. Came out 1.5 hours later, temps the same, she fired right up. Those danged gremlins.....!
I’m dealing with this problem at work. I just started as the head diag guy. So far 5 pumps 3 left side and 2 on the right. Prime pump after fix. Drives fine. Let sit for 30 minutes in the parking lot and it’s about 8 seconds to start it. But I waited 8. Shut it off then retry and it fires right up. I’m still reading and testing in the am.

#13 ·
Never happened to mine but i have received a recall notice saying that it can happen.The fix i think is putting in a bigger battery.My car is away for the winter so i have not got this done yet.I do not have the recall notice in front of me,but i can post what it says exactly if anyone wants.Car is in canada

#15 ·
Cam sensor had crossed my mind as well. I haven't driven since I made that last update post last Friday, snow and awful roads all weekend, and now another big storm coming tomorrow, so I doubt it will get driven until next weekend at least.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.

#16 ·
ground cable

I'm having the same issue with my '06 and its driving me crazy. I'm going to try upgrading the ground cable, so once it arrives I'll see if it makes any difference.

Just a side note however, I find that it also happens once and a while from a completely cold start. In fact as far as I can tell, it just randomly either decides to start instantly, or decides to take 5 seconds of cranking.

Jon

#17 ·
I guess I forgot to keep you guys posted! No issues since (knock wood!) Like I said, the ocassional gremlin.

#18 ·
Cam Sensor

I took your advice and changed the cam sensor when I did the ground cable, and no issues since!

In retrospect, it would have been more helpful to do them one at a time so I know exactly what fixed it, but I"m definately leaning in the direction of the cam sensor (especially in light of the above post)!

Can't go wrong with a $20 fix and only 5 minutes of work!

Jon

#19 ·
2007 SRT8 charger not starting when when warm or slow cranking

My car starts always when cold, when its warm or if I stop briefly and go into the store for 2-10 mintues she cranks very slow and won’t start. Like clock work if I leave it alone and come back to it 20-30 minutes later she fires right up again faithfully. Just won’t start after shutting off briefly....

I have the same exact problems i think on my 2007 charger srt8 6.1 no one including dealer can figure it out yet people have charged me so far for a new starter, new ground connections front and rear and stronger batteries 2 already, people are full of opines and recommendations , its the same bull shit over and over no one can fix this yet!!

Anyone information would be greatly appreciated
Ron

#21 ·
slow cranking or no starts when engine warm only

My car 2007 charger srt8 6.1 starts always when cold, when its warm or if I stop briefly and go into the store for 2-10 mintues she cranks very slow and won’t start. Like clock work if I leave it alone and come back to it 20-30 minutes later she fires right up again faithfully. Just won’t start after shutting off briefly....

I have the same exact problems i think on my 2007 charger srt8 6.1 no one including dealer can figure it out yet people have charged me so far for a new starter, new ground connections front and rear and stronger batteries 2 already, people are full of opines and recommendations , its the same bull shit over and over no one can fix this yet!!

Ron

#22 ·
slow cranking or no starts when engine warm only

My car 2007 charger srt8 6.1 starts always when cold, when its warm or if I stop briefly and go into the store for 2-10 mintues she cranks very slow and won’t start. Like clock work if I leave it alone and come back to it 20-30 minutes later she fires right up again faithfully. Just won’t start after shutting off briefly....

Ron
did you find the issue? I have same problem in my charger 3.5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.