Charger Forums banner

Break Pad Rattle...i know i know

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jburnias14 
#1 ·
OK...i know this has been talked about plenty of times...BUT...i am getting a rattle in my front end of my 08 charger...under 30MPH....if i hit cracks in the road or uneven pavement....i get a rattle....if i apply the breaks over bumps....hard or just enough for the break light to come on the rattle goes away....i had my front end checked out and everything is tight...the guy did say it could be coming from my lower ball joints....but HOW...i apply the breaks and its GONE. i did new pads and rotors and hard wear (anti rattle clips) it still rattles....do i have to bend them more? maybe my calpiers or caplier bracket is bad or loose? has anyone had this problem and had to do something different with the pads or anti rattle clips??? and please dont say check ur struts or ball joints....trust me its not the problem...ball joint or struts dont stop making noise when the pads get pressure on them...thanks for any advice i can get :clap:

#3 ·
You might check your ball joints / bushings .....I had severe clunking w/ the same issues. When I would brake...no more clunk. Many times the culprit is either the tension strut and or the lower control arms having worn and cracked bushings...this cause metal to metal clunking and rattling. When you brake, it puts tension and loads up the suspension components.

How many miles are on your 08? Remember, we drive big heavy cars, and the suspension will take a beating. I had to change out ALL front and rear bushings (went w/ poly bushings) upper and lower ball joints, upper and lower control arms and sway bar end links. I was good for about a year.....it happened again, clunking until I brake. I never thought to check the bushing in the lower control control arm where the coil over is mounted into. Booth rubber bushings are shot.....sorry for the long winded response, but just might be suspension and not brakes......let us know.

#4 ·
Well I changed the lower control ARM ball joints....the rattle/clink sound is a lot more quiet...but still on passenger side....no more driver side noise....and it only makes the rattle over weird bumps....the mechanic told me to get caliper brackets.....any suggestions guys?

#5 ·
You gotta get under the car w/ a prybar w/ the car on stands or a lift and wiggle stuff around. If you do the caliper brackets and the rattle is still there, check the bushings where the strut comes down and secures to the control arm. Check that bushing on the engine block side. Really check your upper control arm ball joints. Also I bet if you check the bushings on the control arm and the tension struts....they are probably disintegrating. You also can check the sway bar bushings. Also check inner / outer tie rods...it is a lot to check, believe me I know. Good luck.

#6 ·
Just fixed my front end break rattle today for a 2012 dodge charger it was the bushing in the upper and lower control arms they were shot. I jacked my car up and wiggled the tire and could see there was too much play in the upper control arm bushings. As for the lower lateral control arm I could see the front tires jumping back and forth when the break was pressed I had to have someone else press on the break to be able to see from the outside. It was a very annoying issue for a having a nice car that rattles down the road for every little Crack in the road unless you press the break over them. BUT MY PROBLEM WAS FIXED. Hopefully this helps someone else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.