Charger Forums banner

New Florida law,50mph over speed limit $1000fine first offense!!

15K views 110 replies 31 participants last post by  R/T 4 Me 
#1 · (Edited)
What do u guys think of the new Florida law that just passed aimed at mostly motorcycles who pop wheelies and both bikes and cars that ecxeed the speed limit over 50 get fined $1000 first offense, $2500 second, $5000 and 5 years jail third. Dont u think this is only going to cause more high speed chases and endanger more lives than it saves? What really worries me is that once it gets on the books it will only be a matter of time before they lower this to 40 or maybe even 35mph and then what happens to the good guys who only like to get on it every once in a while when no one else is around. The state should invest in creating safe areas where riders and drivers can safley participate in these activites, to me it seems that this is strictly all about the money, like almost everything else in this country. Oh and by the way they are also increasing court fees for people charged with traffic violations, next thing we know police officers are going to be paid commission for writting traffic tickets!!! When will it end?

#5 ·
If you're doing 152 on a PUBLIC highway, you're endangering lives and frankly, acting more stupidly that your god-given right to do so. I believe that my right to travel safely on the public roadways supercedes your right to be an idiot and risk everyone around you. The chair sounds about right.

If you must reach 152 ... find a racetrack and allow the spectators to enjoy the spectacle.

#6 ·
VA has the same law but its for in state residents only and it is 20 over the posted speed.... the fines start at a mandatory 1500 and go up and up.. ALSO if the LEO wants to be a jerk, he can assess 12 points as he pleases for reckless driving...you all know what that means!! no more driving!! so just to let ya know, FLA is not the only state being hard on speeders.... the law WAS for any motorist caught in VA but they recently amended it and it only applies to residents of the state. my dad got away from huge fines b/c he is a MD resident. very luck indeed!! :lol:

#16 ·
VA just revoked the massive fines, I would know I go back to court for reckless driving tomorrow to get my money back, first offense and I got 6 points and over 900 in fines!!!

Your pops always gets off, lucky fella!

#7 ·
Crazy... and to all you people yelling "race track"

Where in Florida can I find a race track that is long enough for me to reach 150mph?

Where in Florida can I go legally race without a parent or guardian signing off? I'll be 18 in July, but come on, half the people who street race are teens, and there's no sanctioned place for teens to go race

#9 ·
Wow, when you type it really shows your age without you even having to reveal it. Obviously if your parents or your friends parents are not willing to sign off they don't see you fit to engage in this behavior in the controlled environment of a racetrack. So you decide to take it to the streets where anything could happen and multiple lives could be lost in an uncontrolled environment. Explain the logic in that??????

#13 ·
Well i understand the law and it probably is a good thing. I might just make alot of people think twice about speeding/1k ticket. Now i know alot of you dont like speeding and have already proven your point but what happens when you are in your charger (which isnt a slow car) and you are driving and all of a sudden you realize you are at 80mph or over 50 which the new law states... umm what then. This car has always gone way over the speedlimit for me and yes i know that it is my fault for not keeping my eyes on the speedometer but come on these machines fly without even feeling it. What will you say when that happens to you???

I know street racing sucks and i agree with you about not doing it and how it kills alot of people. I think the law is a good thing when you think about it but come on 1k?

#17 ·
Kenny,

At 18 years old, you have yet to develop driving skills to be safely driving at 152 mph.

Closing down a section of highway has so many legal and logistical implications, there will be no municipality that would even consider it for anything other then professional level events.

I do not understand parents buying HP cars for their newly licensed children. It's like an invitation to send their kids to a closed casket.

Finally if you really wanted to race in a legal and SAFE environment, you would find a way to accomplish it.

As the speed goes up, the damage to the car and occupant is increased squared. 1/2mv**2, where v=velocity. In addition, the risks increases at an exponential rate. Stuff happens very very quickly.

#19 ·
I never claimed to have any special motor vehicle skills. I am just questioning things. It is my nature. I do not go with the flow.

My parents obviously trust me, and allowed me to buy such a great car. In fact, my parent's don't pay for my "HP car" - I do. I work to pay for my car payment and insurance payment. I've never been too big on racing. I usually win races spec by spec. If I have a 350hp car, and someone has a 250hp car, I win. That's how I race in my head for the most part. I know the dangers of racing and driving fast. Being 18 doesn't make me uneducated. Sure, I don't have the experience and wisdom of a 50 year old, but a 50 year old may not have the reaction time of an 18 year old. Again, nothing personal, just throwing it out there.

Let's chop this up for a second, never once did I insult or come at you personally, True I did say that you show your age when you post but that's it. Hell I'm only 24. If im not mistaken aren't you the same guy that was on here crying a few weeks ago because you got canned by the police for selling drugs?? Pretty sure it was you, I can call you a few choice words because of that and then you really dispalyed your age by having the audacity to come on a public forum and INCRIMINATE yourself WITH pictures should I add :no: By the way when does it ever make more sense to run from an LEO? You get your license suspended, car taken and possibly thrown in jail for a few weeks compared to never being able to drive again and in jail for months/years. I guess you would know best huhh? Just for the record this is not an argument it is a forum, meaning place for discussion hence the name ChargerForums.
I'm not coming at YOU personally, I'm trying to argue your post. I took offense to it (and maybe shouldn't have) but I am offering my views. I am taking this thread in as a debate. Not an argument. I am defending my ideas.

What incriminating pictures did I post? And yes, I got canned by the police by selling drugs. I am also going to court for it, and I mentioned it to avoid the billion people asking me why I'm selling my tail lights. I'm an honest guy. But, you're now making this an argument, and a personal one at that. You are bringing up things in other threads. This is a thread about speeding/racing. My views on speeding/racing should not be ignored because of some stupid things I've done recently.

You keep ignoring things. Every statement I make, I give reasoning behind it. You then take the statement out of context and twist it. I gave my reasoning behind the "run from the cops" theory. I also said I would never do it, and I gave supporting details for why someone else might.

#23 ·
The problem I have with the law is that it duplicates the already present laws of reckless driving, and racing on the roadways and is just a way to tack on additional fines. This also is the type of thing that once its on the books it's easier to lower dramatically. In a few years when they see that the police rarely catch anyone who is going that fast (ie they are 50 over in a 55 zone-105 mph or more and Police choose not to do the required speed to catch them - over 105mph -- 120-130-140 to gain on the violator) they will lower the limit to 30 or 25 or whatever they choose. Then we are paying thousands of dollars and risking jail for a little fun romp on the pedal in a quiet area of town. When that happens if you push 90 in a 65mph open highway(we basically all have done it) then yuou risk the fine/points/jail.......

What legislators apparently fail to understand is that there is no way possible to outlaw everything that SOMEONE doesn't like without outlawing absolutely EVERYTHING. If someone is doing 50 miles per hour over the speed limit right now, aren't they already violating one or more laws? Is increasing the severity of the penalty really going to help much? The more serious the repercussions, the more likely it will be that compliance with submitting to arrest will no longer be considered as an option by the perpetrator.

Speed limits were imposed to keep drivers from endangering each other at those speeds. If you the only one on the road, it should be a different violation. It shouldn't just be 50mph over and BAM!!! $1000 fine!!!
I just don't agree with absolutes in law. Just like using turn signals. It's illegal to not signal your intent to turn a right or left. This is used to let other drivers know what your doing for safety. Correct? But should I get a ticket because I didn't use my turn signal when there is NOBODY ANYWHERE in sight to warn that I'm making a turn? I don't think so. But a cop sitting in a Parking lot eating a doughnut could probably give me a ticket for not signaling.

#24 ·
There are NUMEROUS small towns here in Florida, that make their living by being intentional speed traps. One example of this would be, someone would go from a posted speed of 60 to a sign that said 30. And if you WEREN'T doing 30 when you pulled equal with that sign, it was an automatic ticket. Here is a situation where the government itself tries to entrap people, and intentionally confiscate their property already, i.e. money. Predictable result of revenue based speed limits and selctive enforcement.

There are often unintended consequences to laws passed.....and this is inevitably going to be one of them. The people passing these laws need to put a little more thought into what they pass. I think that a law like this is mostly for show...they want to convey that they are tough on this activity. It does show this, but they haven't really thought it through.

A little town in MO done that, they had 8 cops. They nailed a state legislator wrong thing to do. He got a law past that no town could get more than 1/3 of there income from tickets, that town nows has 1 police officer. In my opinion the cops are trying to replace lost tax revenue with speeding tickets. What a sad place to live when tickets are your primary source of income for the county & or city.

The public obviously is well served when police suppress reckless and dangerous drivers. Still, many of the nation's speed limits can be raised safely, in light of advancements in cars and improvements in road construction. And let's face it: Speed limits have been set low in many locales for no reason other than nabbing lots of drivers who pay fines and provide local government with extra revenue.
An extreme example of the latter is Linndale, Ohio, (population: 120) which benefited to the tune of $419,000 in traffic fines collected in 2003 for violations of a 50-mile-per- hour speed limit along its one-quarter mile section of Interstate 71, according to Eric Skrum of the National Motorists Association, a group in Waunakee, Wisconsin, that advocates on behalf of American motorists.

I could go on all day...........

#25 ·
They make these to implicate safe driving. Whether or not there are other people around, it's a need to make a habit of traveling speed limits, signaling, whatever. You haven't killed someone else by speeding have you? You getting your jollies from speeding can one day ruin a family. Imagine a 17-18yr old kid, almost out of high school..parents spent all that time raising them..and along you come speeding and take everything away. How would you feel? Your speeding impacted the lives of another family, forever.

And do not say that speeding isn't the only killer on the roads or some crap, because that's not the point here..this thread is about speeding.

#28 · (Edited)
Speed LIMIT

First of all, anyone who drives over any speed LIMIT is not real bright here in Florida as our average driver age is probably 70 and their reaction times to you coming up behind them is about 2 minutes. You have no idea what that person in the car in front of you is going to do when they see you coming at an excessive speed. Roads were designed to get you from one place to another as quickly as safely possible. As for going on a stretch of road where there is no traffic, that is what a friend of mine thought on a country road in New Jersey many years ago. As he came over a rise probably doing about 120 on his Interstate there was a cow in the road. They found him 280' from the impact. The only safe place to race is on a closed course track. The problem is making them make enough money to stay in business. The insurance alone is astronomical. I would love to run my car hard to see what it can do. But I get my enjoyment from other people seeing my car and wondering how fast I can go. The car rides like a baby carriage and I enjoy every minute of driving it and am not not going to risk my license or my life for a thrill. My '67 GTO would do 125 MPH stock. I've been there and realized how that 10 minute thrill could have affected the rest of my life. Not worth it. If you get the chance to run a track it is awesome. You don't have to worry about traffic or anything else in your way. I have run my wife's Solstice on New Smryna Speedway and run BMW motorcycles at Daytona. Awesome experiences without the unknown risks. Being a licensed driver not only entitles you to be on the roads but also to respect the rights of everyone else on the road. There are a lot of drivers that should not be driving, and they are not all older people. I would like to see driving tests every year for everyone. And anyone who runs the red light, makes right turns on no turn signs and anything else that is that so stupid that they endanger my life or my family to get to the next red light sooner, there is no penalty too harsh. Now if I can figure out how to get the middle lane morons and the left lane losers to ride in the right lane my day will be good.

#29 ·
Now if I can figure out how to get the middle lane morons and the left lane losers to ride in the right lane my day will be good.
Thank you!!

and I re-read the law and I totally agree, there is no reason to go that fast in any circumstance...I speed, but 50 over....that is just crazy...

#30 · (Edited)
This is actually old news.

The law down here is beginning to run along the lines of the Sylvester Stallone movie, Judge Dread.

It is up to the Police Officer to basically decide your fate. And without spending thousands of dollars to prove your innocence, you're automatically guilty.

It's been going in this direction for a long long time.

America is one of the LEAST free countries on the planet.

At one time, it used to be known as the land of the free. But, once President Lincoln was elected to office and the South was conquered by the Northern States, things began to change and they've been changing ever since that time.

Most people associate the Confederate War with slavery. Those are the people who really don't know what the Confederate War was about. Sure, slavery was a very small part of a much larger equation.

The bulk of it started when Lincoln began creating more new laws at a faster rate then has ever been seen. Faster then any new laws created when America was under the control of Great Brittan. It was then that the Southern States wanted no part of this craziness and is why the Southern States still are considered less lawful then Northern States.

But now the Southern States, especially Florida, are populated mainly by relocated Northerners. These Southern States are now catching up to the Northern States in the number of laws it has coupled by the tolerance level decrease in going light on individuals that don't abide by these laws.

There is nothing we can do except move to another country.

Or, just like I do, the proper way to solve any problem................drink heavily :) :) :)

#76 ·
It was inevitable that the Southern states and their nonsense(won't even get into detail) be stopped. That is why things are the way they are today. Whether or not Lincoln became President the South WAS and IS going to continue to change. America IS/WILL changing/change.

#33 ·
Agreed. However, they will soon change the name of our State from Florida to South Brooklyn. Florida is not really considered a "Southern State" but more of an extension of Brooklyn.

#35 ·
I used to go to my local courthouse a couple of years ago and watch all kinds of cases on trial just to remind myself to stay on the right side of the law and out of trouble. Of all the excessive speeding cases i saw involving young guys, i never once heard a judge or police officer suggest to take their car to the track if they wanna speed that fast. Many of these people probably had no idea that a track existed for public use and like myself always thought it was for professional race car drivers or really rich people that could afford to rent it out and in most cases it is. Just recently i decided to doa little digging and met soemone belonging to a club that goes to track days regularley and you have no idea how excited I got. From now on I plan on doing all of my excessive speeding there, but it makes me wonder how many misguided kids have no idea about any of the alternatives.

#38 ·
Dude, I go to my track every weekend.

If 50 cars show up that night, it's considered crowded and I'll be lucky to get 3 runs in and wont get home until 1am.

There are simply NOT enough tracks to entertain all of the people that want to drive fast.

And, with the population growth continuing at it's present path, they'll be less as time passes.

Don't forget, there are MANY cities and counties that don't have a race track closer then 200 miles away.

It's simply not possible for everyone to go to the track. Not possible.

Heck, I wouldn't want anyone else new showing up at MY track and making ME wait longer and getting less runs in as well as getting home even later.

Fugedaboudit!!!!!

#37 ·
The problem isn't the fine.

It's the jail time.

They seem to be throwing out jail time left and right in the US now without giving to thought what the long term effects of putting someone in jail could be.

A man that has a stay-at-home wife and 4 kids accidentally drives 80 in a zone that suddenly turns from 70 into 35. We all know of a few places where this happens.

They toss the guy in jail.

He loses his job because he vanished for 15 days.

He's broke now.

House gets foreclosed, cars repossessed, family is out on the street. Kids get taken away and placed in a foster home.

This guys life is now completely shot forever.

All because of a speeding ticket.

Yeah, he shouldn't have been speeding. But, the punishment should fit the crime.

I just had a friend visit me from London. We were watching some police shows on tv. The ones where they show people in holding cells? I forget the name.

She was utterly shocked and amazed.

She said that they NEVER put people in jail in London unless they've killed someone or something along the seriousness of those lines.

That is what jail was made for.

Not traffic violations.

You sitting in prison and a 7 foot tall 400 pound guy comes walking up to you who's been in jail for triple murder the past 20 years.

He asks...."hey........punk........you've got a cute butt........what u in for?"

You say............"Traffic violation"

What do you thinks gonna happen?

#41 ·
The problem isn't the fine.

It's the jail time.

They seem to be throwing out jail time left and right in the US now without giving to thought what the long term effects of putting someone in jail could be.

A man that has a stay-at-home wife and 4 kids accidentally drives 80 in a zone that suddenly turns from 70 into 35. We all know of a few places where this happens.

They toss the guy in jail.

He loses his job because he vanished for 15 days.

He's broke now.

House gets foreclosed, cars repossessed, family is out on the street. Kids get taken away and placed in a foster home.

This guys life is now completely shot forever.

All because of a speeding ticket.

Yeah, he shouldn't have been speeding. But, the punishment should fit the crime.

I just had a friend visit me from London. We were watching some police shows on tv. The ones where they show people in holding cells? I forget the name.

She was utterly shocked and amazed.

She said that they NEVER put people in jail in London unless they've killed someone or something along the seriousness of those lines.

That is what jail was made for.

Not traffic violations.

You sitting in prison and a 7 foot tall 400 pound guy comes walking up to you who's been in jail for triple murder the past 20 years.

He asks...."hey........punk........you've got a cute butt........what u in for?"

You say............"Traffic violation"

What do you thinks gonna happen?
Okay, I have to disagree with the suddenly turning from 70 mph to 35 mph speed limit comment. There are plenty of signs warning of speed limit changes well before you have to slow down. If someone is not following/watching the signs and gets caught doing 70 in a 35 zone, I'm not saying they should go to jail, but they deserve the citation. Sorry, but pleading ignorance or saying it used to be 70 mph is not going to wash.

Posted speed limits are there for a reason; for everyone to obey and to keep drivers safe. Do you think telling an officer the story that it used to be 70 mph is going to sway his/her decision in giving you a citation or possible jail time for repeat offenses? No, it won't and you'll just end up pissing off the officer in the process. :no: I admit, I'm a speeder, but I don't and never have done double the speed limit! That's just insane!

#42 · (Edited)
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania...............the drive TO Jim Thorpe is 70 mph and it goes up and over the top of a mountain. On your way down, the mountain is very very steep and it's very easy to pick up speed.

Suddenly, at the bottom of the mountain, the city of Jim Thorpe begins and there's a speed limit sign of 35 right out of nowhere.

There is a cop sitting there ALL THE TIME to give out tickets.

People have been complaining about this for 30 years but Jim Thorpe will not change nor will the prior city/county post any additonal warning signs on the way down the mountain.

Team work at it's finest baby!!! :)

Oh, and I certainly agree about the citation. No doubt, a citation SHOULD be issued. But be sentanced to sit along murderers and rapists for your traffic violation? No way!!

#53 ·
You know that you can't do a credit check on a European? They have no Equifax or Trans Union or credit scoring systems over there.

#57 · (Edited)
U kidding me, in Great brittain they have a public session with the prime minister that isnt scripted and the media can engage them with tough questions and debate with them over issues, i forgot what its called. They even have a stage in a famous park over there where anyone can get up and make public speeches about anything without worrying about a cop busting their chops for disturbing the peace. Its a lot freer than u think.

#56 ·
America is no "supreme leader" or "power giant" like so many people think. We've lost just about every war we've been in and look at the size of our Country compared to the Countries we've fought.

Vietnam??????? C'mon. That Country is not even as big as Florida and people are still crying about getting their legs blown off over there.

That tiny little hole in the wall Country, smaller then Florida, kicked big-ol-might America's A_S!!!

#63 ·
Well you must be a fan then :) Thank you :)

Most people don't know what that is and think it's a picture of me.

Compliment? Yeah, I'd like to think so :) :)

#69 ·
You're from Czech Republic or your roots are Czechoslovakian?

#71 ·
My grandparents on my mothers side were immigrants from Prauge, they fled the Communists.

My grandparents on my fathers side were German and Irish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.