Charger Forums banner

Why SRT is falling behind

15K views 126 replies 37 participants last post by  Moparmatts72 
#1 ·
The problem SRT has is that it does not have a halo car. That halo car would be a model for technology and then a lot of that technology would filter down to the SRT8 level.

If SRT played in the E63 level then it would be a lot more advanced:

* turbochargers
* variable valve timing
* AWD on the Charger SRT8
* Vastly improved suspensions

But the only model more expensive than this is the Viper and that is crude by design. It is not a showplace of technology thus does not benefit the rest of the line.

If Chrysler was still owned by Benz then some of the latest AMG technology could filter down.

As it is, SRT lags behind.

#2 ·
SRT doesn't compete with Mercedes because they reside in totally different sections of the automotive market. Having a halo car burns a LOT of money that could be spent (or simply saved) elsewhere. Never have I though of SRT as a luxury car like a Mercedes, I think of it as an everyman's muscle car with a few extra options.

#3 · (Edited)
LOL @ Benz filtering stuff down from AMG. You're kidding right?

Adaptable Bilsteins are considered vastly superior to the stuff on your 06, so is the Variable cam timing 6.4L over your 6.1...and if you want AWD, get the Jeep.

Go drive a new one, they are light years better than the last generation cars. Mainly because Mercedes left in 2007!

#6 ·
thank you!!! hit the nail on the head. as the owner of a 2006, i am the first to say that my car is nowhere near what a new charger srt is. hell, my new durango r/t makes my charger look like a rental car.......lol

#5 ·
Mercedes also gave Chrysler the cheapest plastics and saved the best for there pile of junks. Thats why the interior got a whole lot better once they left. They would never have filtered some of their better stuff to a dodge. Fiat on the other hand is and from what ive been seeing coming out in the newer cars is awesome. Wish I had the money to upgrade to a new srt8 charger but I cant right now still paying for my 06.

#7 ·
Haha, here we go again. I don't put anything from Mercedes or BMW in my consideration with SRT.

I do, however, include used Cadillac CTS-V, used Corvette Z06 and used Mustang GT500 in my selection against the SRT 8 Challenger and Charger.

#9 ·
Maybe you could compare those cars power train wise but even then it's a stretch and SRT8 is not made to compete with those cars either. The closest is the CTS-V because it too is a 4 door 4,000lb beast! The Vette and the GT500 are not even remotely close to a Charger or Challenger in any shape or form.

#8 ·
I gave up on srt and jumped ship over to ford.
Love dodge styling and ill never sell my rt. But my 392 challenger is for sale and I track my 2013 boss 302 LS.

#10 ·
MC? Really, who in the 4-50K price range has a full size four door that competes? Who sells an SUV that compares to the JSRT?

You'r comparing apples to oranges. Really. Of course it doesnt have turbos and blowers, thats 70K tech in a full size car. What part of five people in comfort and three bodies in the truck isnt sinking in?

#11 ·
Exactly!! A 2012 e63 retails what around 100-110,000 that's double what I paid for my 2012 srt8. It better have superior build quality and handling along with more power or it would be a joke for that much! As Far as falling behind we're lucky Its still around!

#15 ·
^^^lol.

I think he's saying that if srt had a high end performance sedan like a Mercedes e63 the entire line would benefit from trickle down technology.

Hard to argue with anyone competing with the jeep GC though.

#16 ·
Here we go AGAIN.. MCeaser spouts his hate and disgust at SRT...what else is new?

So, SRT doesn't have a halo car.......Guess that means the Caddy CTSV with supercharger technology that's been around since the early 1900's is halo? Or those magnetic shocks you spout off as being so superior that has been around since at least 2004?
Let's not forget the ZL1 you like to compare, that uses the same "old" roots style supercharger as it's main selling point? Yes they are halo vehicles, with old school technology.

Turbos have been around forwever, just have to wonder why they haven't caught on? Maybe it's beacuse they're NOT COST EFFICIENT!

We get it MCeaser, you are butt hurt that you have a 2006 SRT and that people like the newer ones better. They handle better, they are faster, they have better interiors. And to most, they have better styling. Get over it.

That CTSV, AMG, or Beemer is just waiting for you to spend your hard earned cash on them. What have you been waiting for, the price to come down to less than $50,000? Have fun waiting.:D

Or, do you just like to incite?:rolleyes2:

#18 ·
Wait until the 600 HP supercharged 6.2 Hemi becomes an option for the SRT8's. Then they'll be faster than the M5, E63 etc.

The SRT8's already hold their value better than those. Those cars cost $120K all said and done and are worth $50K a year or so later. NO THANK YOU.

PLUS..the next SRT8's due in 2016 will be platform shared with Maserati and Alfa Romeo and they'll be even better.

But I gotta ask, seriously, whats got you 2006 guys so butt hurt about the new cars? LOL. Are you really that upset because the new ones are that much better? Ceasar, Ddaddy, the guy with the yellow vette. Its quite laughable.

#20 ·
whoa.......lol

not all of us 2006 srt guys are butthurt. i love my car because it is friggin badazz and is fast as sh!t!!! what's not to like about a car that makes 800 rwhp, runs bottom 10's, is driven daily, and looks like this......

but i do like the interiors of all the latest dodge/chrysler cars........ :D

#19 ·
I like the fact that my 4200lb four door ran a 12.61@114 with a 1,789ft DA(corrected time was a 12.46@115). So here at home with my sea level DA I have put the screws to 5.0's and SS Camaro's! Oh I could have done the same even at that DA, and she's bone stock too. Also awesome is I can put my family in it and go on a trip, comfortably! No the SRT line isn't impressive at all.

#29 ·
I don't know about you, but the 2012 Charger Superbee was exactly what I was looking for - they are not falling behind - they got my business.
a 4 door car, with plenty of rear seat leg room for family, automatic, fast, a US company, fast, and under $45,000.

(I would have preferred a different color choice than black or yellow. And the 8" screen should have been an option.) But I am 100% happy. I'll add the Diablo tune and I am debating the $7300 supercharger. I am not sure if I want a 640 HP 11.2 sec car -or stick with the ~500 hp 12.1 car. I still can't go faster than 60 mph here in Long Island and no race tracks around for hours- so what's the use - should of bought a SmartCar!

But in no way is the SRT falling behind. Westbury Dodge fell behind when they wanted $10,000 over sticker - but I puked those greedy bastards and went elsewhere.

BTW- Westbury Dodge sucks.

#32 ·
I love my 2006 SRT, I'm not trying to keep up with the rest of you guys. What I rather have is a 68 charger, but my 06 will do just fine. I will eventually buy a new SRT, but it will be acouple of yrs, and as far as power and handling are concerned if I dont like it I can change it and have done so. My car makes me feel like a million bucks every time I'm around her. Not all the 2006 SRT owners are unhappy with their cars. As far as the interior is concerned it could be better, but I have no problem with it. This is one car I intend keep till the wheels fall off.

#33 ·
Nail on the head sir"My car makes me feel like a million bucks every time I'm around her" Isn't that the point of owning an SRT8 no matter what year? When I was at the track there was a guy with a 08 SRT8 Charger with tune, CAI, headers,exhaust, and drag radials and his best time was 12.91@110, and my best was 12.61@114 bone stock; however I wanted to hang with him and talk shop because Im impressed with all MOPAR's because I'm a MOPAR guy period! I was also impressed with his numbers but he acted like a jerk to me because my car wasn't a first gen.... pretty much his words. I had an 08 R/T and I love the looks of the previous gen but I like newer Gen better, which is why I bought one doesn't make it the best but just my preference. So it makes me feel like a million bucks every time I'm around her which is all that matters in the end no matter which year we own.

#34 ·
WOW! I read the hole thread. Now I want to know MC response. I have on 09 R/T and I love her. Every time I park next to the new chargers I look at them I look back at her and I'm happy I went with a 09 than the 12. With the cash I saved I plan on getting my baby SC and upgrading my suspension.

#35 ·
Blah blah blah says the troll. Why would such a long time member become such a s*** disturber?Seriously where is the ban?
Dodge and SRT are producing a reasonable product throughout the line up. As for Viper, a lot might think of this as a halo car. It is drop dead gorgeous, makes the right sounds, handles well enough to make you still work for it and will make most grin ear to ear just looking at it sitting in the driveway.

#36 ·
sooooo........ where did mc go????? lol

looking forward to reading his next uninformed comment on how srt cars suck and chrysler/fiat is doing everything all wrong, cloaked in arrogance......;)

#39 ·
Oh wow, what a great car that is. Nice deal too. I have driven my buddies...and it's unreal.

And not all srts are good five seaters if we're being brand anal. Squeezing five adults into my challenger is a short trip at best.

#40 ·
I owe the pre 2012 SRT model owners an apology. My 1st response to MC was not meant to start a rift between 06-10 owners vs 12-up SRT owners.

It was meant to illicit a response from MC as to what his problem is with the new SRT brand.

He seems to have an obssesion with how great GM or AMG, BMW and whatever else is better than what SRT is putting out. I don't see it. I guess i am "uninformed" and "just don't get it". :confused:

As far as I can tell, SRT is doing just fine. I eagerly await the 2015-2016 lineup, as I feel all we are going to see from now until then is minor upgrades and appearance packages. There is nothing wrong with that. Personally, I think it's great if SRT comes out with a supercharged 6.2, but I know it will be out of my price range, so in the real world, it means as much to me as the release of a new Ferrari or Bugatti-very nice-but it's out of my league.
As many here, including myself, have pointed out many time to MC and his ilk: there is no competitor to the current SRT lineup and THAT is where SRT is making it's money and rep. I could care less about AMG and the rest. JMHO, Tom and Merry Christmas to all here. :beerchug:

#42 ·
We are all on here to learn and grow as the enthusiast we all are, in the US the fastest speed limit is 75 I believe, so none of us need a mid to high hp car to do so. We do it because it's in the blood, in our dna, so for the love GOD can we stop bickering amongst ourselves and be happy with our cars, no matter the year 68 on up, and if your not, leave the forum and buy a different car. For instance I have a 2001 Dodge Dak quad cab 4.7L that been shown a lot love (0-60 in under 6 secs ) not fast by anymeans, but a lot of fun for a 4500 lbs truck, so it doesnt matter if anyone likes your car but you. We all bought our chargers for different reasons, from the 2.7L to the 6.4L.

#44 ·
Airbyrn I believe you for got the first 2 very important years for Charger!! The 66 and 67 IMO the best looking of classic Charger.

My bad Coffee With Scream, I'm sorry you are correct sir. I wouldnt mind having any of the old school chargers black in color, with 500ci's and a blower sitting through the hood riding low to the ground. Ahh one can dream, but hope to make it a reality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.