Charger Forums banner

Warranty expires, engine light pops up.

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  fluffykush 
#1 · (Edited)
Warranty expires, engine light pops up. (P1004)

My warranty expired exactly 1 month ago, and today I got the famous ole P1004 code.

I have a 2007 SXT 3.5, and from what I've read the fix is to replace the short-running valve actuator, correct? I've seen other posts talking about replacing the entire intake plenum and others saying the pcm has to be re-flashed. Does anyone know a sure way to figure out which one of these fixes will actually solve the issue?

PS...I don't drive this car much at all. It will sit in the garage for couple weeks at a time. Can this have anything to do with the P1004 code?

#2 ·
I took the short runner valve actuator off and the metal thing would not turn freely with my fingers. I loosened it up a bit with pliers and can now turn it with my fingers. Cleared the code with predator. I'll fire her up tomorrow and see if she throws up the code again.

What exactly goes wrong with the actuator? Does the oil get inside the housing? Or is it the sensor plug that goes bad?

#5 ·
And if the dealer does not help then call the Chrysler Assistance Center at one of the numbers below. In fact I would probably call before you take it in to the dealer.

800-992-1992 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

#6 ·
The general fix was about what you did. Remove it and spray it with a cleaner, let it soak and work it till it's loose again. Then it should work good again..

Theoretically, the catch can helps eliminate this problem of excess oil in the intake to gum up the actuators..

Did it work for you after your fix?

Griz

#9 ·
It may be possible to spray and loosen it up also, but I have no idea on how difficult it is to move it by hand. My guess would be not too much as the actuator has to do it when it is running..
I have a hard time with it being the "manifold" itself as it is just a shell other than the runners in it.. I'm thinking put more attention on cleaning the runner ends and the actuator itself.

I'm sure there are threads on doing this somewhere on here..

Griz

#10 · (Edited)
How much should the short runner valve turn? I noticed the actuator shaft is able to turn about 3/4" or so, but the short runner valve only turns about 1/4 - 1/2" or so.

Can I test the actuator with it plugged in but taken off the manifold? Can I start my car with it off? Would it attempt to turn the shaft?

#11 ·
All excellent questions that I am unable to answer with a lot of accuracy.. The runners are there to help with air velocity in the manifold, so no clue on running it without it hooked up or what it would do. Nothing is my guess until you pressed the pedal for more fuel. Then it may start to open.

If you can't find the thread on here, check the LX forum or the other one like this with a different last letter. It is there somewhere cause I had no clue on how/what they were till I read the story on repairing it..

Griz

#12 ·
I found this on the TSB for this issue

"By hand, rotate the SRV shaft (in manifold).
The shaft should rotate freely within 60 degrees as follows: (CS 11 O'clock to 9
O'clock — JS 1 O'clock to 3 O'clock — LX/LE 8 O'clock to 10 O'clock). If the shaft
binds within these ranges, replace the intake manifold. If the shaft rotates freely,
replace the SRV actuator.
"

So the SRV should turn from 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock position freely. Mine is doing that with no binding. The actuator binds when I try to twist the shaft with my fingers counterclockwise.

#13 ·
The way I read that is you only have the one actuator ( Correct? ) so yours should be the last one of LX/LE 8 o'clock to 10 o'clock which is clockwise.. At least that is how I see it..

I also think the "replace the intake manifold" is their way of removing money from your wallet when it may be possible to clean the inside of where the runners are inside the intake with some effort.. Shop mechanics are essentially part pushers these days with very few knowing how to troubleshoot simple stuff. No shop sweats on new hose fittings on A/C systems. They replace the hose. Why? Quicker and more money than removing it and simly replacing the fittings.. I've had A/C hoses they wanted over $200 to replace when I got it fixed with a new fitting for $40..

It's lazy to me, but a money maker to the shop, out of yoiur pocket..

Griz

#14 ·
I guess I should go get some carburetor spray and try working the actuator with it. How would I spray it though? There is almost no space around the metal shaft on the actuator. Do I just spray the base of the shaft and wait for the fluid to seep? Any recommendations on some good spray?

#17 ·
Wonder how they screwed that up.

P1004- Short Runner Valve Solenoid Performance.

If the valve in the Intake is working then the Actuator is at fault. The TSB also has you flash the PCM if it needs an update.

#19 ·
So I replaced the actuator with the new part # that ends with AB. This thing works differently. The metal rod is on a spring and turns a lot easier. I installed it and cleared the code with my tuner. Went to fill her up and started her up again, and so far no check engine light. Fingers crossed :)

#20 ·
Your story sound exactly like mine, Tried the same thing cleaning the SRV didn't work light kept coming back, got the same part you're talking about and never had a problem since. I think you'll be good now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.