Charger Forums banner

Should I get the 2012 Charger

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  ChargerDodge 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm interested in the 2012 Charager SE and possibly SXT. I was wondering if there are any known problems that often arise with the Charger. I plan to drive my next car for about ten years so I do want something solid and reliable. I've heard of Dodge's infamous reputation for reliability but it seems like Chrysler's been making a lot of improvements in the past few years. I haven't decided whether to get the 8 speed or 5 speed. I really dislike the look of the 8 speed shifter and it's pretty awkward when shifting into R or D. It is honestly enough to make me want the 5 speed haha. And since the 8 speed is pretty new, I'm afraid it might have some problems in the future? Any info is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
I have the 2012 SXT Plus with the 8 speed and paddle shifters. I haven't had any issues with mine and so far I have 10K on her. There is a quick learning curve with the shifter, but I actually like it! The trans is very smooth! Do some research on the ZF transmission, it might change your mind.. :beerchug:

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. V8's out of my budget and also because of insurance haha. Any other common problems besides tie rods? And also, are there any changes in the 2013 Chargers? I might consider that if it means they smoothed out any kinks with the 2012s.

#9 ·
Ray,

You will probably be able to get a much better deal on a 2012 right now than a 2013 assuming you can find one with the options you want. The more flexible you are on the options more than likely the better deal you will get as dealers try to move out the 2012 models to make way for the 2013's.

#6 ·
The kinks were in the 2011's... which was the first year for the model change. 2012-13 are basically the same with only an exterior color change issue.

I've been on the site for a little while and quite frankly.. the 2011's had some issues but for the most part dealers were able to fix them so it's not an issue anymore.. and the 2012-13's have the updates. There's not 1 major issue going on with these cars, they seem to be all random issues for random cars. So to say there's an issue that stands out with these cars would be none really.

Good luck on the search.

#8 ·
the only major issue that seems widespread on '11's is door handles....my late build 2011 (built july 2011) didn't have the issue.

my '11 R/T I bought brand new on new years eve 2011 for $28k out the door ($26100 before TTL) on a $34300 sticker. watch deals, and autotrader.com....don't be afraid to travel. I drove 175 miles each way for the deal on my car (part of it was there were very few Toxic orange chargers on the lots here)...insurance for me (I'm 37) is just under $1000/yr.

I had one issue, where a valve body support bracket broke in the tranny, covered under warranty. according to my dealer, this is the 4th NAG1 they've personally seen this problem on since the LX's were introduced in 2005, the other 3 being police cars.

#11 ·
Why buy a new car with older technology. You get a warranty if you have issues and the 8-speed is proving itself quite well to be a good transmission. And it's scheduled for the Hemi's in 2014. It gets you off the line faster and is obviously helping the car achieve 31-32 mpg.

The 5 speed trans is all electric too so I'm not sure where the concern is coming in. If I could have gotten the 8-speed in my hemi, I would have. JMO

#13 ·
yup, the NAG1 only uses the cable to get out of park. from there, the cable detaches from the lever and it's all controlled via a hall-effects sensor.

and the ZF is a proven design already used in BMW and Audis

#15 ·
I worked for the company that supplies the LX shifter to chrysler from '97-05, and actually did some FEA analysis on the shifter (as well as the JA and JK) and I also did some analysis on the the current gen police car column shifter via my current employer...

#16 ·
Thanks for looking it up!

So, what did you decide?

#19 ·
Planning to buy on the last day of the month :D

This is the same concern a lot of guys had with the 5.7L in the Ram a several years ago, because it was all computerized throttle ("fly by wire" as people referred to it). Many opted for the 4.7L just to have a mechanical connection to the engine. As it turned out the electronic control was no issue at all. I suspect your concern with the transmission will be much like their concern with the throttle.

As a current owner of a '12 with the 8 speed transmission. I do agree that the shifter is a little weird to get used to. Once you get used to it returning to center, and not having an actual position for each gear selection it's not so bad. And FWIW the V6 coupled with that transmission is GREAT on fuel. Heck we just went to PA to visit the in-laws, and which is about 600 miles on the interstate. We got 33.5 mpg for the trip. That's hand calculated not the lie-o-meter (which said 35 mpg so it wasn't far off). I had the cruise set at 68 mph both ways. Not to mention that when you're not on a road trip, it's pretty darn quick off the line. It's no V8, don't get me wrong, but it's no slug either. I'm very happy with the current configuration. Go Dodge.

PS as far as issues. I haven't heard of anything other than random problems with specific cars, like any production vehicle will have. No major issues that seem to persist across the board. The biggest issue I heard of was the last body style with the V8 seemed to eat front suspension components. Don't know why, but that's the only real issue I've heard, and I think even that has been resolved on the current style.

PSS. I guess I did hear about issues with the passive entry on the '11. That's not just a V6 thing though, that's all models with it. Worst case scenario you'll have to actually push the unlock button like "normal" cars. Ha ha. Anyway, as far as I know that's been solved too.
Thanks for taking the time to write all that! I'm sure I'll get used to the 8 speed after a little bit like you said. Besides, I think I've only seen one thread on here criticizing it while every other post is praising it so kudos to Chrysler.

and if you are truly concerned, you can buy an OEM backed bumper to bumper lifetime warranty for ~$2200 here:

https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/index.cfm
Hm I might look into that. $2200 years of peace of mind seems kind of worth it.

#26 · (Edited)
If cost is the only reason you're looking into the v6 over the v8 you may want to at least talk to some dealers. They'll be willing to go pretty low for some remaining RTs.

Also the base RT has many standard options that the SE doesn't have. I got a base RT over a loaded SXT and couldn't be happier. My highway mileage is around 27 mpg.

No matter which engine you pick, the '12s are great cars. Good luck!

EDIT: and I just read that insurance is another concern. Don't just assume because it's a v8 it will cost you more to insure. it's still a large 4 door sedan with multiple safety gadgets in the eyes of the insurance company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.