Charger Forums banner

Diablosport Predator #7135 Dodge 5.7 HEMI Knowledgebase

314K views 859 replies 178 participants last post by  mnunes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Charger Folks,

I did a write up on the Predator designed to offer some helpful info to everyone from novice to experienced. When I first got mine, I noted that tips and such were all over the net, DS forum, and this forum. I have tried to cram it all into one article, which I have been editing as needed. The article is generated for a 5.7 motor, but the 6.1 and even 3.5 tool users will still get a great deal out of this article, as most tool features are synonymous.

Also, of great value, is an Excel spreadsheet with every single menu option there is in the tool, which I call a "Menu Map". Start in the upper left, select an item in the column and follow its choices to the right. Note the different sheets available at the bottom of the page.

Special thanks to Mike, John, Christy and Johan at Diablosport who have been very generous with their time as I bugged them about several specifics to make sure the info was accurate.

Instead of copying the article here, I am going to link to it as I keep editing for both accuracy and clarity, and it is four times the size allowed for one post! Please be advised that if you print the document, you should still check back, as I update it frequently as revisions are released to the tool. The Menu Map is updated as well but can be downloaded anytime as well.

Revision II Updates 6-1-08:
* Corrections to reflect tool upgrades throughtout.
* Renumbered sections to reflect sections added.
* Added PIDS required for CMR in section 13.
* Added section 6 Custom Tunes.
* Added section 7 Quick Adjust.
* Added section 15 DS Downloader.

I hope you find it helpful. :)

THE KNOWLEDGEBASE IS FOUND HERE! --->>> Click Here To Open The Article (Updated 3-1-09)

CLICK LINK FOR MENUMAP FILE IN;
Microsoft Excel or in the Adobe PDF format.

See less See more
#841 ·
Lots of places to start... How are the plugs, fluids, fuel??

Even with 20k on the clock, if those plugs are original I'd change them. They're still 7 years old. Who knows what the gap is like?? Fuel type?? Clogged fuel injector??

Start with maintenance. Then you can further do compression tests and such if you still feel there is an issue.

You should be able to smoke the tires with a factory tune. If you can't, you have issues to track down. Start with the maintenance I referenced above. Or at least I would....

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#843 · (Edited)
Ok.. changed out plugs, checked all the fluids, put in 180 thermo, installed 93 octane tune w/lowered temps. same results, can't lay any rubber unless I'm turning. im getting pretty frustrated. Tune modifications 20% increased throttle boost, shift firmness increased, shift point 6000rpm. That's what i can remember right now. Any help would be great. what am i missing. Added fuel injector cleaner/octane boost, Changed 93 tune - retarded spark 2 degrees, WOT fuel 1% rich across board still have no low power - pulls like a !@#$$% higher rpms 3-4k

#844 ·
Why are you adding fuel? There shouldn't be any need for that unless you're seeing knock retard and then adding just enough to compensate for it in the right RPM range.

What you might be experiencing at the low end isn't poor engine performance but rather the TCM adaptives. You can use the Predator to reset the TCM adaptation which should help a bit there. That you were able to lay rubber at first but not recently (even before the tune) points to the TCM adaptives - if you don't drive it hard all the time, the transmission adaptives learn that and calm things way, way, down.

Also, when you load a tune it clears the PCM adaptives, which then need to be re-learned. During the learning process (in my experience, about half a tank of gas worth of varied driving) you'll see less than optimum performance.

Finally, loading the 93 octane tune and pulling 2 degrees of timing should be about the same as running the 91 octane tune - the only difference between the 2 tunes is about 2-3 degrees of timing.

Give the TCM adaptives a shot, then drive for a couple days and let us know if things are any better.

#846 ·
Try what mnumes said, clear the adaptives, but i say go back to stock for a few days, hit the esp button, add 89 octane gas, and hit the gas pedal without being scared. It should burn those suckers up...
If you have the adjustabke pedals move them closer and sit straight. Once you know how to get the car doing what you want then add the tune.
As a moderator mentioned, the computer also takes into consideration how fast you slam the gas pedal down, not just how far.

#847 ·
Thank you. Does anyone else feel that moving the pedals closer would have an impact? Another question I don't have a CAI but isn't the stock Air box basically a CIA when you put a High Flow filter in it? I traded my 2009 Mustang GT 45th anniversary w/22000 miles on it (MODS Ford Racing 85mm CIA, ford Racing Intake, BBK 62mm TB, FR Hot Rod Cams, Shorty Headers, X-pipe, violator axle back, 4:10 ring and pin,Hurst Shifter, 235/50's Front 275,40's rear-- SCT tuner 425rwhp) I did this for more room and a HEMI... I never had issues like this. With that I just added a mod, installed a tune and tore it up.

#848 ·
The stock airbox with a high flow filter is about as good as you're going to get; anything else is jus for show and better sound. Regarding whether you should load the "CAI" tunes or the standard ones, the difference between the tunes is that the CAI tunes have a bit more fuel added so you don't run lean. I'd start with the standard (non-CAI) tunes and see if you're getting any knock. If you are, change to the matching CAI tune.

#849 ·
Fixed the Knowledgebase - Again!

Hey folks, it's back up again.

Had a little hosting problem and was not aware of it.

Please PM if any other XE content you want is missing.

(fixed Chilly Air Intake Mod too)

Cheers! :beerchug:

#854 ·
Are the links in the 7135 sticky permanently disabled? I am having some programming problems and would like to access the information.
Well the first post is several years old and Diablosport has changed their website and forum at least once, maybe twice since then.

Which specific links are you referring to?

#855 ·
Thanks for responding. I was looking for the "knowledge base article" link. I printed it and now I can't find my print out. I was going to print it again. I'm having trouble with my sons car and I believe it is a programming issue. A mechanic recently changed out the throttle body. Hasn't run right since. As far as a programmer, all I have is the U7135 that came with the car.

#856 ·
The link in the first post worked for me:
http://www.case-enterprises.com/xeryder/predator/diablosport_predator.htm
Some of the links within that KB might not work.

Here's a copy of the Predator menu map Excel file I downloaded ages ago:
http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/adjjpxavfu/Predator_v.8r18_MenuMap.xls

You might have a leak on the throttle body if it was recently removed/replaced. It's just 4 bolts, very easy to remove and re-install. Check the gasket to make sure it's clean and not pinched. Be careful with the electrical connector, and make sure it's properly seated and locked in place.

If you're running a Predator canned tune (as opposed to a custom tune) you could try returning to the stock tune, then reload the canned tune.

#857 ·
Thanks for the help. I'm sure I am over thinking it but this programming stuff baffles me. My biggest issue is the damn thing stalling at traffic lights and stop signs. Well not my issue, my son's. He calls me when it happens. That is the reason I took it to the shop in the first place.

#858 ·
I just read your initial post about the car and noticed that it has a non-stock cam. You might be running into stalling issues if the tune you're running doesn't take that into account. Easiest band-aid for the stalling would be to bump up the idle using the Predator, something like Performance Tune > (choose the tune you're running) > Modify Tune > Modify Parameters > Idle
then bump up the RPMs a bit for each option

Best case and probably biggest smiles all around would be to get a custom tune for the car. You can get a very well done email tune from diablotoona (Johan from Diablosport). When I did this a few years ago, you could email him for details (diablotoona@gmail.com). Not sure if he still does it that way, but it couldn't hurt to try.

#859 ·
Thanks again for the help. That is what I did, I bumped the idle up a little when the car is in D. I had lost the Excel sheet that walks you through the steps. You saved my bacon. I am mailing the Predator in today for a credit toward a new Diablo tuner. I plan on ordering a custom tune once the new programmer arrives.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.