Charger Forums banner

How not to break your IAT sensor. Unlike lazy/stupid me.

71K views 54 replies 44 participants last post by  senor dodge 
#1 ·
In the process of installing my AFE CAI, I decide to be lazy and pull the IAT sensor out with the connector still hooked up. Stupid move.

Have removed numerous sensors without the connector, but last night I just brain farted. Well I did'nt break the IAT sensor, but the black locking tab under the red locking sleeve to the connector. Now she won't stay put under normal driving unless I rig it for ugly. So it will cost me an extension cable from MPSC and either disassembly of the connector or splicing the new harness in.

Heed my ignorance and pull the connector. 1. Slide red locking tab away from IAT sensor. 2. Push down on black tab, while giving a slight push towards the IAT sensor. 3. Once the black tab is depressed, wiggle jiggle and she should come free.

Good luck.

Randy

#4 ·
That's a very common error. I read that a lot on here. I pried mine out with a set of machine screwdrivers.

#5 ·
I broke the tab on mine as well, instead of taping it from the outside and making it ugly, I put a single piece of electrical tape around the plug part of the sensor and slid the connector over that. It makes it fit tight enough that it doesn't slide out.

#6 ·
Me too. Got mine held together with a little sticky gorp. Works well actually and I don't need the tab...

#7 ·
Wow, I thought I was the only one that has ever broken that connector! Glad to see I'm not alone. I bought the connector from the dealership for 12 bucks, one of these days I'll install it!:beerchug:

#10 ·
I too am a member of the 'I broke it' club. I tried everything to get my IAT sensor out without harming it, but in-the-end... it snapped in half. Fortunately, I had a second car and drove down to the dealership for a new IAT sensor. Cost me about $30.

I just should have left the original where it was and gotten a replacement in the beginning. It was so exasperating trying to pry the old one out only to have it break anyway.

#12 ·
Great!!! Thanks guys... now I am feeling soooo left out here. I am going to go outside RIGHT NOW and break mine too so I can join the majority here!

:biggrinjester:

#13 ·
I cut the old tube and it came right out.

#15 ·
This is the easiest most painless way to remove the IAT Sensor. Remove the hose clamps on the throttle body and what ever else to have the tube going into the throttle body to move around somewhat easily. Then, IAT sensor still attached, spray some WD-40 on the inside of the tube around the IAT sensor. Spin the sensor back and forth a few times to get the WD-40 on it and gentle pull. It should come out freely without any force.

#18 ·
I removed the airtube as described and did the WD-40 trick and it worked to loosen it up, but it still wouldn't pull out. I slid in a narrow flat-blade screwdriver along the IAT from the outside and gently pryed the rubber sleeve of the opening up and over the inside ridge of the IAT on one side. I then simply rotated it out. No problem.

#19 ·
I gotta say thanks for this post! I read it right before installing my CAI and it saved me from breaking my IAT, cause I'm a walking catastropy and I know had I not read this I would have snapped mine. What do I do normally when something doesnt work or come off easy...hit it harder...lol. But thanks to this thread I didn't...thanks alot!

#21 ·
Thanks for the cautionary info! I took it to heed last weekend when I switched out my CAI. I just used some spit and some elbow grease. It was still difficult, but at least it didn't break. Appreciate the info, might have saved me from a broken sensor.

#22 ·
Thought I better post this;

I installed the cai yesterday after reading the stickied cai install threads. They all mentioned the temp sensor red locking clip and how tough it was to remove the sensor so I was prepared to 'pull like hell'
Well on my '09 R/T;

There is no red locking clip, just an old style push lock and the connector is gray

The sensor is mounted in a hard plastic nipple, not rubber, so I'm thinkin, hmmm it must be o-ringed.

After 5 minutes of 'pulling like hell' I take a good look at it and see a half circle arrow embossed at the base of the nipple.

A quarter turn counterclockwise and then a gentle pull and it came right out.
There is an o-ring on the sensor and two foils that remind me of cam locks.
So easy a caveman could do it;)

#23 ·
IAT on 2009 RT with R&T

This last post helped me out alot last night with my K&N install. Just one extra word of help for an 09 RT with R&T, before you can make the counter-clockwise quarter turn to pull out the IAT, I had to pry up the little protruding plastic piece with a very fine flathead screwdriver, then twist it out.

#24 ·
This last post helped me out alot last night with my K&N install. Just one extra word of help for an 09 RT with R&T, before you can make the counter-clockwise quarter turn to pull out the IAT, I had to pry up the little protruding plastic piece with a very fine flathead screwdriver, then twist it out.
good to know...:beerchug:

#25 ·
I just did mine as well and had the same connector. Actually easy to remove once I stopped looking for the red thing :). I broke the little tab off the IAT - the one that locks it in with the 1/4 turn on the 09 intake. I installed the mopar CAI and really had to push to get the IAT in the grommet - how did yours go? I wanted to get it in to the o ring but it would go and I was afraid of breaking it. See pic.

#29 ·
I got it out with no problem, getting it back in the CAI was a bit harder. As far as the tab part, never had an issue with it maybe I'm just lucky. I feel like going outside and break mine so I can feel like part of the group.

#32 ·
I'm not certain. I would think that as it is a temp sensor, it wouldn't matter and your quarter turn is a fail safe in the event of massive filter failure lol
But if that happened - I imagine you'd have bigger issues than your broken IAT

#33 ·
Installed my CAI on Sunday. Thanks to all the great info provided, I had no issues.

The red tab slide and black release connector came apart very easily.

Used the soap trick and a small screw driver to wedge the sensor out of the tube. After reading all the horror stories, I took extra time to work on this part.

I checked the senor in the old tube before removing it and it was turned so it had the black part protecting it. I made sure to put it the same way in the new tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.