Charger Forums banner

FINALLY got an srt8 hood. But the fitment is **** *PICS, what can i do?

5K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  Shots 
#1 ·
Hey guys

so here are some pics, i have no idea what brand it is i got it for 250 so i wasnt in a position to complain!

tell me what you think.. i installed it quickly by myself so i didnt really take my time. what are some ways i can adjust this thing? can i bring it to a body shop?

:confused:

See less See more
#35 ·
Ha I'm jumping on the hood pin band wagon. Get a low profile set, paint them the same color as the car, and you'll hardly even know they're there. Well except for the fact that you don't have to worry about your hood opening up when you don't want it to.
This is not so much an issue on a hood that is flat/smooth (like say a cowl style). However, for a hood that has an opening allowing air to get under it, there is a lot of force under it when you're at speed. I agree that they don't look the best but you can get some that minimally noticeable. That or spend the grand on a metal hood. No way to safely run speed with a fiberglass hood, without pins. Just my $.02.

#41 ·
im gonna go see whats up and what the guy thinks about it.. i know its more of a safety precaution but ill take my chances. texting and driving is probably 3045 worse and everyone does that.. so anyways if it happens it happens if not then im all good!

It makes the car look really aggressive and mean looking but i cant wait till i get my black mags back on for winter the car will look like a menace hahah.

ill keep you guys updated on whats going on!

#42 ·
im gonna go see whats up and what the guy thinks about it.. i know its more of a safety precaution but ill take my chances. texting and driving is probably 3045 worse and everyone does that.. so anyways if it happens it happens if not then im all good!
:eek: well hopefully the pedestrian you run in to or the other car that you run into with the family of 5 inside understands that it's all OK, because at least you didn't have to look at those hood pins on your car. :banghead:

#45 ·
8 members have recommended hood pins and even posted pics of what happens when fiberglass hoods fail. You choose to ignore them.

It's your decision, but don't expect folks to be giving advice in the future when you experience what they warned against. This isn't a choice like texting when driving, it's simple physics. Fiberglass hood latch mounts simply can't hold the hood down against the dynamic air pressure it will encounter.

NASCAR uses hood pins for a reason.

#47 ·
Looks good bro, get it wrapped up, and you will be set.

#48 · (Edited)

Alright so i went to get it adjusted today... the hood looks fine now but they all agree the hood is sh*t and i should definitely put pins on there to hold it down.

I will most probably be taking it off for winter just cause. Ill see if i can sell it too and get my money back.

If not i will just ride around with it for now.. it doesnt look that bad i will re wrap it before selling it to increase value but i want to keep it it really grew on me and i really dont think ill have a problem with the hood coming up.. but everyone is telling me other wise so can someone link me to REAL hood pins please.

#51 · (Edited)
I have some pins I got from an auto store on my car, and they are doing just fine, minus the rust. lol

#53 ·
If the hood is well made and fits properly you do not need hood pins. Now if the hood comes with no hood latch like back in the day, then you will need them. Even VISracing states this and I have their hood. With that hood you have, I could not sleep at night with the fitment issue.

#54 ·
To be honest it comes with a latch. And it seems to be on there pretty tight... I just don't see it getting loose and flying up. I probably won't get pins. But now my other concern is the snow and water getting into the engine what are your thoughts about that?

#55 ·
If you don't have it ducted to the intake, or the opening blocked you get a lot of water on the engine while driving in the rain. The biggest issue with this that I've seen is that if you get enough moisture in there it will pool around the spark plugs, and greatly reduce their life.
I would recommend either hooking it up to the intake (which a good duct will have drain holes strategically placed to drain water before it gets to the filter, without affecting air flow), or covering/filtering opening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.